Quantcast

Thread: D2

Dc D2

Warp's long-anticipated sequel to its 32-bit horror game D finally arrived on the Dreamcast in 2000, and it didn't live up to fans' expectations. Its gameplay was slow and tedious, the plot was downright weird, and the story progression was often frustrating. Still, there's something about it that made players forge on to uncover the mystery behind Laura's final adventure. Read our full review for more details.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Nice write-up! I actually really enjoyed D on my 3DO. I imported that game from Japan when I was 15, I think from Funcoland using the good old Cost on Delivery; I didn't say COD as it was known back then because people these days would think I was talking about the Call of Duty games. I love that you touch on and knew about Kenji Edo's digital actress Laura. I'm not sure how well known that is, but I remember reading about it somewhere before. I originally played D2 only thinking it would be a sequel similar to the first before realizing it was much different. I think the intro alone took something like a good 10 minutes with that disturbing tentacle monster thing. I know Laura (the actress) is also in Enemy Zero, and I haven't actually played that although I've been meaning to hook up my Saturn to do it.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Warp's long-anticipated sequel to its 32-bit horror game D finally arrived on the Dreamcast in 2000, and it didn't live up to fans' expectations. Its gameplay was slow and tedious, the plot was downright weird, and the story progression was often frustrating. Still, there's something about it that made players forge on to uncover the mystery behind Laura's final adventure. Read our full review for more details.
    The atmosphere in this game is something else. I don't think any game as ever captured being in the wilderness so well, thanks to the game visual and more so sound desgin. I really felt cold playing this game . Game was brilliant, I still love it to this day, it got so many flaws but the game setting and story more than makes up for it. RIP Kenji Eno you were such a SEGA man at heart.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi

Interesting review. I liked D and Enemy Zero for what they were, and I keep meaning to get hold of a copy of this game. Irritatingly, the Japanese version is dirt cheap while the English version isn't, and my Japanese isn't very good.

I've always thought it was strange that this was called D2. I guess it was an attempt to sell the game on the name of its somewhat famous predecessor and the unreleased game of the same name, but it's not very honest if the game has nothing to do with the original (and I'm guessing that Dracula, the D of the title, has nothing to do with this game). I think one of the reasons I never imported this back in the day was that I was disappointed that it wasn't at all like the D2 that was going to be released for the M2, which likely would have been a sequel (or prequel) to the original.

Thread Information