Quantcast

Thread: W2k Program Suggestions?

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Default W2k Program Suggestions?

So I finally got around to installing an old version of Windows on one of my rigs. My Pentium 3 I bought last year is still DOA and needs repairs, so I wiped my Win7 machine and installed Win2k on it. Got everything sorted drivers-wise, now I just need some program suggestions.

I have Winamp, MS Word 97, VirtualCloneDrive, Mozilla Gold (used for viewing html files only, this machine is fully offline) and all the basic stuff that's pre-installed. I'm really in need of a media player, but VLC keeps black screening my computer. Any help/suggestions? Cheers!

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Does VLC open and just fails to play anything, or does it completely fail on launch? You might be able to go to tools->preferences->audio,video,input/codecs and change some settings to get things to play. You might have to disable/enable acceleration, change the output devices, etc. There is also a config file at C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\vlc\vlcrc you could try editing that, if you aren't able to launch VLC to change the settings.

You should also check oldversion.com for a compatible version of VLC, or other software. That's my go-to site for those sorts of things.

Other than that, grab some games! Rollercoaster Tycoon 1&2, Outpost 2, and The Sims are some of my favorites.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    Does VLC open and just fails to play anything, or does it completely fail on launch? You might be able to go to tools->preferences->audio,video,input/codecs and change some settings to get things to play. You might have to disable/enable acceleration, change the output devices, etc. There is also a config file at C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\vlc\vlcrc you could try editing that, if you aren't able to launch VLC to change the settings.
    It B(lack)SOD when I launch any media files. It will load VLC fine, but the moment it tries to play anything, it'll crash the computer to a black screen.

You should also check oldversion.com for a compatible version of VLC, or other software. That's my go-to site for those sorts of things.
    Aye, that's where I got it from. Maybe the version I downloaded is too old? I'll need to try a few different ones, I guess.

Other than that, grab some games! Rollercoaster Tycoon 1&2, Outpost 2, and The Sims are some of my favorites.
    Yeah I plan on installing a few games don't worry 'bout that. Thanks for the suggestions.

OK, I solved the issue with VLC black screening my computer; it didn't like the video output. Changed it to OpenGL and all is good.

Thread Information