Quantcast

Thread: Moving Adventure Psy-O-Blade

Megadrive Moving Adventure Psy-O-Blade

Visual novels are few on the Genesis, especially in English. Moving Adventure Psy-O-Blade was one of the few that never saw a western release, but thankfully, some hard-working people in the Genesis community have fully translated it. Now, we can finally check out this unique space adventure, lackluster plot and all. Read our full review for more details.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Really nice to see a review from Sebastian after a long absence! Well-written and insightful as always. I enjoyed playing through the game but the review's criticisms are also on point.

Thanks. I take it you didn't read my other two recent reviews (for D and D2, respectively) then, did you? I actually found not only the time to play a few old games, but I also felt the urge to write again. I even managed to write that Review for Aladdin on the Master System that I promised... Back in 2016... Well, better late than never.

Part of me wanted to rate the game higher, because I really appreciate the effort typhon and others made to get this translated, and I really want to encourage more translation hacks to be made. But in the end I had to rate the game on its own merit, and while I enjoyed the story, the gameplay really irritated me more often than not. So in the end, while I really appreciate the translation effort, I couldn't rate it higher than 6. But like I said, it's a decent game for a lazy afternoon.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    Thanks. I take it you didn't read my other two recent reviews (for D and D2, respectively) then, did you?
    Ah, I missed those! I sort of remember seeing that there was a D2 review but since I plan to play the D games someday, I probably avoided it for fear of spoilers (though I'm sure you took pains to avoid having any).

I hope to start reviewing again sometime as well, though it's hard to find the time and energy. Still need to do that LHX review I promised ages ago...

Oh, and BTW, a lazy afternoon is exactly how I played this game: my wife and I spent the afternoon playing through it several years ago. I think a lot of these kinds of games are better when played with another person.

WCPO Agent

Thank you for having reviewing a game we (Eien ni Hen and I) took some time on.

TBH, I started working on this game to make my hands on Megadrive programming, I didn't know anything about the game, but a picture of it in a French magazine I read in my childhood made me wonder what this game was about (needless to say, the writer had no idea either).

I was a little disappointed, and I think your mark is good enough.

The game is short (as you say, half of the original plot was left apart, maybe because of size constraints), a pad isn't the best way to play a point'n click, but I liked this japanese 80s SF feeling.

Maybe I should have considered another title

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

^If so, so shouldn't have 90% of the Nintendo console projects.

I mean who can't get enough of generic RPGs that do little more from the norm than change the (still mostly medieval)setting?

Great review Sebastian! I've never heard of this game. The plot of space satellites and nuclear war sounds quintessential 80s, harkening back to Ronald Reagan's bold faced "Star Wars" lie that inspired moviemakers and script-writers everywhere. And of course a visual novel game from the MSX/PC-98 with a rushed ending? Sounds like Snatcher.

Thanks to the translators for making the game available for a wider audience, even if it doesn't sound that good. Just looked on Youtube to watch footage...man that screen crawl is outrageously long! And the graphics and music are comically bad. And the plot looks completely copied from Alien. And a main character named Feminine...? Quite the choice of names.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Sports Talker

Does anyone know what to change to bring the amount of kills down in the shmup section? Started playing this the other day and reached that part, having to hit 200 kills ruined the flow and left me at a stand still. I like the story and would like to see the how it unfolds.

Thread Information