Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Panzer Dragoon Saga Reproductions being sold on eBay for $11

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    And I have an original disc that went from perfect to unreadable in the span of a half year after being untouched for a decade (I have rip logs showing how it deteriorated in one position over the months), and I also had my original copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, absolutely mint discs with no scratches on them, scan to thousands of C2 errors. Meanwhile, one of my Saturns can read *broken* discs. There is no absolute rule here.
    My North American launch Saturn would read some discs just fine, while absolutely refusing to work with others. I'd thought that the laser was failing, so I'd bought another 1995 Saturn off of ebay. I later found out that I just needed to grease the rails of the CD drive and it fixed all of the read problems.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    And I have an original disc that went from perfect to unreadable in the span of a half year after being untouched for a decade (I have rip logs showing how it deteriorated in one position over the months), and I also had my original copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, absolutely mint discs with no scratches on them, scan to thousands of C2 errors. Meanwhile, one of my Saturns can read *broken* discs. There is no absolute rule here.
    My point was that CD-Rs causing Saturn laser damage simply because of their CD-R nature is a myth, as you just pointed out.

I've found that in general JVC Optima pickups respond very well to CD-Rs (in Sega CDs, Saturns, and JVC audio CD players), probably best of all pickup manufacturers back then.

Master of Shinobi

It's not a myth. Most CDRs have weaker reflection properties, so they are more likely to age the drive.
    Of course you can come up with very good CDRs and very bad pressed discs where it's the opposite, but generally it is the CDRs that have it worse.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Does bother me knowing how the production of the game went that these are being sold.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yes, but it is a better option than using tape and doing a hot swap of discs, like you were suggesting earlier.

It's a decent option for someone that doesn't have soldering skills and doesn't want to jack up their Saturn hardware by doing a bad mod job. The Saturn's internal memory will cover most of the stuff like fighters and shooters that don't need a lot of space, and if you feel the need to play a burned RPG, you can make a backup copy to your regular save cart, should you feel the need to play another game that will take up that space.
    I just bought an "All-In-One" Psuedo-Saturn cart that has 1 & 4M RAM expansions, plus an 8M save backup for $43. It has a slider to select which option you need for the game you're playing.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: More than Just a Genesis? Analogue Mega SG Review

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

RIP Takeshita Iwade

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thread Information