Quantcast

Thread: Retrobit OFFICIAL licensed Sega Genesis and Saturn controllers $15 Each

Default Retrobit OFFICIAL licensed Sega Genesis and Saturn controllers $15 Each

Found this video, never heard of these controllers before but at $15 they look just as good as the 8bitdo $30 controller for anyone interested. Looks way better than the cheap knockoff Saturn USB controller that I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I have the Retrobit official Megaman SNES controller, and recently got a Cirka brand Saturn USB pad released last year. This, however, is good news, as we need affordable quality Sega pads! Will be getting the multi-colored Saturn one!!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I've been waiting for these since last year. They've been delayed a few times - I think the original release was supposed to be in October last year. I preordered on Amazon, and Amazon cancelled my preorder. Really irritating, but I guess they only cancelled my Genesis controller order and not my Saturn order. Not sure if they allocated most of the lot to places like CastleMania, because they seem to be still taking pre-orders for them.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One RvR's Avatar

Damn that blue 6 button looks awesome.

I got mine in the mail today, I was so torn on whether to get the blue or black, the blue is so cool looking but the black has the nostalgia factor and well that won.
    I got the 8 button usb version to play on the raspberry pi and it is amazing it is just like the genesis controller is supposed to be.
    Last year I got a hyperkin genesis usb controller and while it tried to come close, it was still different and the worse was one of the diagonals didn't register.
    So I am really have been enjoying using this, and highly recommend it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Great to hear the recommendation. I'm looking forward to picking up a pair of brand new controllers for my Genesis. Going with the black as well.

Master of Shinobi

Got my 8-button USB Mega Drive controller today. I've only had a quick play but first impressions are positive. The d-pad feels nice, responsive, and similar to the original controller. The d-pad was the thing that IMO let down the Hyperkin controllers (it felt like it had too much travel and was stiffer than the original), so I'm glad that they've got it right.
    Last edited by Silanda; 04-05-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Master of Shinobi

On further playing, I've found something I don't really like with the 8-button pad: the button layout as recognised by Windows is a bit weird. X is button 1, A is button 2, B is button 3, Y is button 4, C is button 5, and Z is button 6. The problem with that is that there are some old games with no control configuration options that seem to expect A, B, C, X, Y, Z to map to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, making the layout feel a bit unnatural on this pad.

Still not as bad as that controller that mapped buttons 1 and 2 to L1 and R1 (yes, that has actually happened).

Also the other day there was talk about how a lot of retro controllers used the same microcontroller but with buttons wired in completely different ways so having an automated mapping for those is practically impossible as they all look to be the same thing to the computer but they're wildly different from an user viewpoint. Manual mapping is pretty much a must in those cases… and way too many games hardcode the controller buttons :​/ (and not just older games, if anything XInput has made it even worse and lots of modern games expect a very specific mapping, ugh)

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Also the other day there was talk about how a lot of retro controllers used the same microcontroller but with buttons wired in completely different ways so having an automated mapping for those is practically impossible as they all look to be the same thing to the computer but they're wildly different from an user viewpoint. Manual mapping is pretty much a must in those cases… and way too many games hardcode the controller buttons :​/ (and not just older games, if anything XInput has made it even worse and lots of modern games expect a very specific mapping, ugh)
    Yeah, I think that's the case here. It identifies itself with the same vendor and product ID as a Retrolink SNES pad, which caused Retroarch's autoconfig to get the layout completely wrong.

…yeah, it's that particular microcontroller indeed.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

After some months of usage, what's your impressions about durability?

I heard that some saturn pad (don't know if Genesis too) had issues with d-pad.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    After some months of usage, what's your impressions about durability?

I heard that some saturn pad (don't know if Genesis too) had issues with d-pad.

I purchased a couple of the Genesis controllers when they first released and it's been my main controller since. I've been nothing but happy so far. I only have the Genesis ones so I can't speak on the Saturn.

MN12BIRD just uploaded a video about the USB Genesis version and apparently had some issues with the C button right out of the box though.

Thread Information