Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petition for a new megadrive game edited by Sega

Wildside Expert

Default Petition for a new megadrive game edited by Sega

What do you think about it ?

Who would be okay to sign and engage in a petition/movement to convince sega to release (at least edit) a new sega genesis game (physical release)

- The developpement of a new AAA game would require less time and money that it did back in the days.
    - A new market is definitly open : the trailer of paprium has reached +300 000k views, Tanglewood seems a commercial success and had a good press covers and critics.
    - The recent release of analogue mega sg got the hardware definitly back to life and market, with this new possibility to buy a new working unit adapted to modern technology standards.

Gathering experienced developpers like sega am7 or ANCIENT with new talents could bring a brand new huge hit and sell incredibely well. The retro gaming is more than ever not a niche market.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Add Treasure to the list.

Not convinced Sega can still make games, though... but at least they could give their approval (after 3 years of internal validation processes or something).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

WHERE DO I NEED TO SIGN? :D

SEGA of Japan cant manufacture new carts. They easily could have them made in china though!

This is a good idea. I'd like for it to happen, it'd be interesting.
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Yeah, like put that Streets of Rage 4 on a real Genesis not just on all the dumb virtual platforms.

Outrunner

If I recall correctly about a decade ago the team working on Pier Solar reached out to Sega to see if they could get their game officially licensed and Sega's response was basically "we are done with the Mega Drive but if you want to make games for it, have at it."

At this point how many people do you suppose they have left who are familiar with Sega's 16-bit hardware and still want to work on it? If anything I would look into contacting the people who worked on Fantasy Zone II DX or maybe some of the conversions to 3DS that involved modifying the original code, I think they were all done by M2. But it may be a challenge to convince them there is a big enough market to make this profitable.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

I'd definitely sign for this. It's funny because I was thinking the other day how cool it would be if Sega released some new Genesis games. I agree that the recent hardware and game releases show there's potentially enough interest in the market for it to be worthwhile to Sega. It seems there's a lot more interest now than there was before Pier Solar's release. It could even add more momentum to the rising popularity of MD/Genesis releases and gaming.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinkiller24 View Post
    What do you think about it ?

Who would be okay to sign and engage in a petition/movement to convince sega to release (at least edit) a new sega genesis game (physical release)

- The developpement of a new AAA game would require less time and money that it did back in the days.
    - A new market is definitly open : the trailer of paprium has reached +300 000k views, Tanglewood seems a commercial success and had a good press covers and critics.
    - The recent release of analogue mega sg got the hardware definitly back to life and market, with this new possibility to buy a new working unit adapted to modern technology standards.

Gathering experienced developpers like sega am7 or ANCIENT with new talents could bring a brand new huge hit and sell incredibely well. The retro gaming is more than ever not a niche market.
    There's definitely no market for this. Tanglewood might be commercially successful as an indy game created / manufactured by one guy (Matt Phillips), but I think he said sales were in the 2000-3000 range (correct me if I'm wrong please). There's no incentive or reason for a large company like Sega to be interested in those kinds of numbers. The future of physical Genesis releases is definitely in the hands of indy developers, which is probably for the better. The Sega of today is not the Sega of old - you're not going to find any of the old passionate developers still there. Instead of dreaming this dream, let's focus on the people who are actually putting out products (and really, we're in a kind of golden age for indy Genesis games now).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

I'd sign it, but I can't imagine Sega doing it. Mainly because it would not be as prfitable as it should for a big company to put their effort on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    There's definitely no market for this. Tanglewood might be commercially successful as an indy game created / manufactured by one guy (Matt Phillips), but I think he said sales were in the 2000-3000 range (correct me if I'm wrong please). There's no incentive or reason for a large company like Sega to be interested in those kinds of numbers. The future of physical Genesis releases is definitely in the hands of indy developers, which is probably for the better. The Sega of today is not the Sega of old - you're not going to find any of the old passionate developers still there. Instead of dreaming this dream, let's focus on the people who are actually putting out products (and really, we're in a kind of golden age for indy Genesis games now).
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    I honestly lost track of how much Tanglewood sold (and I don't like pestering Matt about it).

There's the problem that cartridges don't leave much margin to make money tho, especially after all the shipping costs (both to bring in the material and to ship it to the customer), and especially nowadays where they aren't produced in huge quantities. There's a reason why publishers back in the day were desperate to drop them as soon as it became feasible.

Also to put it bluntly… most homebrew games are way below those numbers and those who care about money are immediately porting those games to other platforms (even starting the porting job before the Mega Drive version comes out).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

With a little marketing and a compelling title SEGA could easily go beyond 3000 sold carts. Besides the whole point of this would be fan service anyway.

Nameless One

Genesis

Releasing a new cartridge would be financially not worth it for Sega. But what Sega SHOULD do is officially license some indie games and sell them on Steam and on officially licensed consoles. There's also a bunch of unfinished games that would fit the bill. Analog SG gets it, they're selling a new console with a pack-in game and Nintendo gets it too, with StarFox II. It would be super cool to see a special licensed release of a Sega Mini with Tanglewood or XenoCrisis. But to be honest, I want the developers getting as much money as possible so they keep making games. Whatever that equates too.

Sadly, I feel that Sega is now just a bunch of lawyers trying to figure out how to monetize their 90's assets. :/

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Capcom's limited SNES Street Fighter 2 release had 5500 copies made, and it was sold for 100$. But in that case they already had a ready ROM.

Wildside Expert

5500 copies for a cartidge you can't play with is a good score.

I really think an official SEGA product would sell more than 50 000 units (streets of rage, sonic, etc).

You are right, M2 or Treasure would be a premium choice for this kind of project.

Sega refused to engage in pier solar in 2010 but it was completly different at the time (the market was totally different)

I'm so busy now working on my PHD, but I will take the time to try something in the next few months if nobody does it until then.

Thread Information