Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The staggeringly high prices of Mega CD games on Ebay.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Why I don't own one. Want one but they and the games are just too pricey.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I got Terminator CD for $1.99 about 5 years ago and sold it here for $30 shipped. I'd bought a copy of Lunar on the Sega CD for about $8 (maybe 8 years ago) and sold it to Melf for a little bit more a couple of years later. I also gave him a sweet deal on The Space Adventure, which I got for $20 and sold to him at the same price. It's crazy how much The Space Adventure sells for now.
    Much the same I got Terminator CD on the cheap along with the likes of Midnight Raiders (what a terrible game) for like 3.99 lol when a local shop was selling off Mega CD stuff on the cheap (Mega CD units were going for 30 too lol) . The likes of the lunars I got on day one and paid top wack Import prices. I had The Space Adventure but stupidly sold it years back . I didn't like the game and thought Snatcher and more Rise of the Dragon were far far better games.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Yeah, Sega and MegaCD games have been on an upward trend for awhile, I don't really follow PAL as much but the handful of exclusives to the region I'd like to pick up are cost more than I've paid for everything else so it's hard to justify even looking.

Japanese MegaCD games seemed like they were staying relatively untouched for awhile but they're going up too. I saw a JP copy of Keio go for over 35000 yen and it just blew my mind. I sold a minty copy to another collector several years ago for like $100 and still felt a bit bad about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Kamon's Avatar

I still feel bad about paying near to reseller prices for my copy of sonic CD some 4 years ago. Looking now, people have hiked it up to nearly double the price. I've recently caught the collectors bug again and have noticed that even an average price can only be had through auction which is really sad to see. It's no longer a case of scoring a good deal, it's the only way to get a fair price at all! I make a point of buying lower than the averages listed on pricecharting and that can really leave you waiting for a good deal to roll around. I think the real loss I've felt because of this is that you'll never get to 'discover' a game this way, if you're paying over 60 for a game you've researched the hell out of it to know it's worth the cash. I did recently score a PAL copy of Snatcher for 170, granted it was in pretty poor condition (scratched but playable from start to finish, missing pages in manual). By virtue of it being all story I kind of had to take people's word on it that it was worth the money so I didn't spoil it for myself. I ended bringing a bunch of friends over to play it. Made an event of it. Most didn't even know what Snatcher was. We had our laughs at the whacky kojima plot elements and called out the predictable twists and turns as they happened. By the end of Act 1 we were all hooked! We ended up continuing it over three separate nights. It's a shame that feeling of discovery of something great is so rare now.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Why I don't own one. Want one but they and the games are just too pricey.
    thats pretty much how it is with the saturn too
    the console has been given a price hike and while the bog standard titles are cheap
    the "worth while" titles are obscenely expensive

and the dreamcast has also been given a price hike most games are still affordable
    but things like a pal or ntsc u release of marvel vs capcom 1 and 2 go in the triple digits ( while the japanese versions are dirt cheap )
    Kitsune in a hat

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    thats pretty much how it is with the saturn too
    the console has been given a price hike and while the bog standard titles are cheap
    the "worth while" titles are obscenely expensive

and the dreamcast has also been given a price hike most games are still affordable
    but things like a pal or ntsc u release of marvel vs capcom 1 and 2 go in the triple digits ( while the japanese versions are dirt cheap )
    Yes, I paid a LOT for my copy of Shining Force III on the Saturn, but most of my other Saturn titles are all fairly common and affordable. As for my Dreamcast, well I only recently set it back up after digging it out of the attic and only have a handful of games for it. However I have noticed that when it comes to how much Dreamcast games go for on Ebay generally speaking, it's not even in the same league as the insanity that is the Mega CD and Saturn market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Yes, I paid a LOT for my copy of Shining Force III on the Saturn, but most of my other Saturn titles are all fairly common and affordable. As for my Dreamcast, well I only recently set it back up after digging it out of the attic and only have a handful of games for it. However I have noticed that when it comes to how much Dreamcast games go for on Ebay generally speaking, it's not even in the same league as the insanity that is the Mega CD and Saturn market.
    oh no doubt but they are on the rise
    street fighter alpha 3 both street fighter 3's both shenmues and both marvel vs capcoms all command a premium ( in the case of mvc 1 ive seen em go for 150 or more )
    so its coming
    thankfully the dreamcast pricetags are still sane but how long that will last is anybodies guess
    if you want to get in to dreamcast gaming now is the time before the resellers discover it
    Kitsune in a hat

and oddly enough both zombie and revenge and dynamite cop are relativley expensive too these days
    Kitsune in a hat

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    and oddly enough both zombie and revenge and dynamite cop are relativley expensive too these days
    Dynamite Cop has always been a fun game so the price has a bit of a premium. I picked up my copy years ago and still paid like $30 or so for it I think.

The real kickers are going to be things like Sonic Adventure Limited Edition that are going to shoot up to even more insane prices as people try to collect for the system.
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Japanese MegaCD games seemed like they were staying relatively untouched for awhile but they're going up too. I saw a JP copy of Keio go for over 35000 yen and it just blew my mind. I sold a minty copy to another collector several years ago for like $100 and still felt a bit bad about it.
    Damn, that's crazy. I paid about AU$100 about five or so years ago. I would assume that any of the premium action titles in the JP library have risen since then - Sengoku Denshou, Bari Arm, Dennin Aleste and so on. I'm surprised FFCD hasn't moved much considering it's uncensored/unmolested compared to the western release, given how frequently I see it around it must be common as dirt or something.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Dynamite Cop has always been a fun game so the price has a bit of a premium. I picked up my copy years ago and still paid like $30 or so for it I think.

The real kickers are going to be things like Sonic Adventure Limited Edition that are going to shoot up to even more insane prices as people try to collect for the system.
    i always figured dynamite cop was a fairly basic arcade brawler and nothing more
    especially with the superior sega ages 2500 version around on the ps2
    Kitsune in a hat

Death Adder's minion

Didn't realise how much Terminator has jumped, glad I got it years ago. I'm about 20 games away from the complete PAL set, though without the little spine cover (too hard), and the pricing of some of them jurt irks me. Crazy how much stuff has jumped, but I think it will drop here and there too. EG. N64 peaked here in AUS and once a few people started selling out and others realised there wasn't much money to be made, prices dropped a heap (consoles for instance that were hitting $1500 recently sold for $300). Some games have kept their prices, others have dropped. I suppose it's not as scarce as MCD though, so the above could be irrelevant.

Trying to find an Ecco Tides of Time is difficult, as is Power Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post
    Didn't realise how much Terminator has jumped, glad I got it years ago. I'm about 20 games away from the complete PAL set, though without the little spine cover (too hard), and the pricing of some of them jurt irks me. Crazy how much stuff has jumped, but I think it will drop here and there too. EG. N64 peaked here in AUS and once a few people started selling out and others realised there wasn't much money to be made, prices dropped a heap (consoles for instance that were hitting $1500 recently sold for $300). Some games have kept their prices, others have dropped. I suppose it's not as scarce as MCD though, so the above could be irrelevant.

Trying to find an Ecco Tides of Time is difficult, as is Power Rangers.
    PAL stuff has always been a hard one for me based on the prices. I have almost all distinct CD games between the regions except for a couple PAL exclusives that are just astronomical like Smurfs and and Syndicate.

Thread Information