Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: The staggeringly high prices of Mega CD games on Ebay.

  1. #1
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Power
    48

    Default The staggeringly high prices of Mega CD games on Ebay.

    So I was bored yesterday and decided to check out the current prices of some Mega CD titles (PAL) on Ebay. I was checking to see how much titles I actually own are currently going for. Not because I would ever sell my collection, but rather out of genuine curiousity. Wow...just wow...

    (all these games listed are CIB and in very good condition, and prices are obviously in pound sterling)

    Fahrenheit-100
    Final Fight CD-60-70
    Shining Force CD-150
    Sonic CD-50-60
    Earthworm Jim Special Edition-70-80
    The Terminator-150-170

    That's just a small sample, and the one that really caught my eye is The Terminator. That game's value has sky-rocketed over the years! To think I got my copy (in mint condition) back in 2003 for a tenner! People keep saying that the current high price bubble for retro Sega and Nintendo games will eventually burst, but I don't know, it sure doesn't look like bursting anytime soon!

  2. #2
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    971
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    I wouldn't count on prices dropping in the near future.

    As with anything that people collect, more copies "disappear" into collections than surface for sale, so the supply will constantly dwindle. Most collectors will buy something and keep it on the shelf or in a container for the rest of their lives. Once they start dying in 50 years, then you'll get this stuff showing up at auctions more frequently, but by then nobody will care.

    I do think the retro bubble will not last forever (we're nearly at 30 years peak nostalgia now), but the supply will have dwindled by the time the bubble bursts.

  3. #3
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    I wouldn't count on prices dropping in the near future.

    As with anything that people collect, more copies "disappear" into collections than surface for sale, so the supply will constantly dwindle. Most collectors will buy something and keep it on the shelf or in a container for the rest of their lives. Once they start dying in 50 years, then you'll get this stuff showing up at auctions more frequently, but by then nobody will care.

    I do think the retro bubble will not last forever (we're nearly at 30 years peak nostalgia now), but the supply will have dwindled by the time the bubble bursts.
    Being a collector myself I suppose I don't help the situation, but the difference is that my Sega games don't sit rotting on a shelf or gathering dust in an attic somewhere. I love them and play them whenever time allows. Some people collect for the sake of it. I collect because I genuinely love these games, and they represent a large part of my life. I completely agree with you that, whatever the cause, the bubble isn't going to burst for many years to come.

  4. #4
    Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,197
    Rep Power
    152

    Default

    I've said it the past, and it upset a few on here, but I'll say it again: blame resellers. They buy copies en mass and raise the prices artificially.

  5. #5
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    971
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    I've said it the past, and it upset a few on here, but I'll say it again: blame resellers. They buy copies en mass and raise the prices artificially.
    I think resellers exacerbate the problem, but they're only drawn to the market because the demand is already there. Prices would still be high, although maybe not as high for the rare items.

  6. #6
    Outrunner Mad Moham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    747
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    When it comes to resellers, I sold most of my PC games a while back and ebay auctioned them in order to sell at sensible prices. Almost all my games sold to two different resellers and were straight back on ebay with much higher BIN than the auctions ended at. Resellers are assholes for driving up the prices of stuff and are the reason I'm holding on to what's left of my PC games for now.

    I've noticed that absolutely everything collectible seems to be skyrocketing in value via ebay these days. I have to wonder where everyone gets the money from since I always go to work and have customers pleading poverty.
    I had my ring penetrated on Takeshi's Castle.

  7. #7
    Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,197
    Rep Power
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    I think resellers exacerbate the problem, but they're only drawn to the market because the demand is already there. Prices would still be high, although maybe not as high for the rare items.
    There's no denying demand has gone up. But resellers are making it much worse that it would be.

  8. #8
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    When it comes to resellers, I sold most of my PC games a while back and ebay auctioned them in order to sell at sensible prices. Almost all my games sold to two different resellers and were straight back on ebay with much higher BIN than the auctions ended at. Resellers are assholes for driving up the prices of stuff and are the reason I'm holding on to what's left of my PC games for now.

    I've noticed that absolutely everything collectible seems to be skyrocketing in value via ebay these days. I have to wonder where everyone gets the money from since I always go to work and have customers pleading poverty.
    Some people just have more money than sense. For example I really want to be able to add Snatcher to my Mega CD collection, but will I pay 350 for it? Will I fuck!

  9. #9
    Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,197
    Rep Power
    152

    Default

    ^ What's your opinion of buying repros? I'm considering it at this point, have for a long while.

  10. #10
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    ^ What's your opinion of buying repros? I'm considering it at this point, have for a long while.
    Not interested. I only add original games to my collection, or I don't add them at all. I will only start spending crazy money on the games that elude me when and if I ever come into money. For example by inheritance or via winning the lottery. Only then will I consider matching some of the insane prices currently doing the rounds.

  11. #11
    Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,197
    Rep Power
    152

    Default

    Understandable.

  12. #12
    Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    3,084
    Rep Power
    95

    Default

    Youtubers have also had something to do with it, IMO.

    All it takes is for one of the bigger channels to put out a "hidden gems" nonsense or a review about a game, etc. The sheeples then get their panties all moist and move en masse towards that goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

  13. #13
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,192
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    There's no denying demand has gone up. But resellers are making it much worse that it would be.
    That's my opinion too. A particular offender for this in Europe is Konsolenkost, who sell on ebay as nintendo-guru. They seem to sell everything at 50-100% higher than the open market rate, and I have a suspicion that these high prices are encouraging other sellers to increase theirs too. In particular I've noticed that the baseline price for a number of 3DO games seems to have increased to below Konsolenkost's price, but above what they were being sold for.

  14. #14
    Outrunner Mad Moham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    747
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    When we talk about ebay prices, are we talking about BIN prices or auction end prices? There's a big difference between a chancer asking $200 BIN for a Sonic cartridge, and a CIB SOR3 auction ending for $100.

    I suspect that resellers are raising overall values by creating ridiculous ebay BINs that are way in excess of market value. But people still need to accept responsibility for raising values by being stupid enough to buy overpriced games.
    I had my ring penetrated on Takeshi's Castle.

  15. #15
    Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,197
    Rep Power
    152

    Default

    ^ Aye, they're equally as bad.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •