Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The staggeringly high prices of Mega CD games on Ebay.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    When we talk about ebay prices, are we talking about BIN prices or auction end prices? There's a big difference between a chancer asking $200 BIN for a Sonic cartridge, and a CIB SOR3 auction ending for $100.

I suspect that resellers are raising overall values by creating ridiculous ebay BINs that are way in excess of market value. But people still need to accept responsibility for raising values by being stupid enough to buy overpriced games.
    The prices I quoted were BIN prices, but the auction prices are ending up in very similar price ranges too. I agree with you that people paying these exhorbitant prices can't exactly complain when the market ends up like this. At the end of the day an item, no-matter what it is, is only worth what you're willing to pay for it.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I have sealed copy of Earthworm Jim SE (USNTSC). I'd be up for a straight swap with a Terminator CD of the same region...

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    When we talk about ebay prices, are we talking about BIN prices or auction end prices? There's a big difference between a chancer asking $200 BIN for a Sonic cartridge, and a CIB SOR3 auction ending for $100.

I suspect that resellers are raising overall values by creating ridiculous ebay BINs that are way in excess of market value. But people still need to accept responsibility for raising values by being stupid enough to buy overpriced games.
    I have a lot of experience in this in a field unrelated to video games (so there might be some differences), but...

Successful resellers (and yeah, there are a bunch of idiots out there with high BINs, but they usually don't last) usually don't bother bidding on single-item auctions because there's very little profit to be made.

The target for resellers is going to be lots with buried high value items. Buy lots at auction and break them up is pretty much their MO. Well, they'll also often have their eyes out for poorly listed single items, such as ones that are set to end at 8am on a weekday or something.

But for your standard, correctly listed single item auction, you're probably going to get market value. That is, unless it is very rare, in which case you might get somebody hoarding.

Road Rasher

A few years ago it was the infamous spence.77 who was buying up a lot of Mega CD titles such as Snatcher, Shining Force CD, Keio Flying Squadron etc at around the £50 - £100 mark and then putting them straight back on as BiNs for £100 - £200. He became quite successful at driving up the prices even though his BiNs wouldn’t sell. I guess for people like him they are happy to sit on games, driving the price up until the market catches up. People like him are wankers but this is what a capitalist society creates, and in the grand scheme of things there are people on this planet who do far worse to make money.

I’m amazed at the price of some games now that nobody seemed to want in the past despite their rarity such as Space Adventure, and then other games that are not uncommon yet command a high price such as The Terminator.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I remember that guy. What happened to him? Last I heard he was running multiple ebay accounts.

In some ways, collectors bring the high prices on themselves. I can think of quite a few games that can be downloaded for peanuts, but which still fetch ludicrous sums for the physical version. Just as one example, I recently checked ebay and it turns out that I could sell my copy of Monkey Island(DOS) for $100, yet the game is available on Steam for $10. I know that some games aren't available as a legitimate download, but FFS people are given the opportunity to buy a cheap game and they pass it up to instead give resellers a few grand via ebay.

BTW, if anyone is struggling to afford a copy of Sonic CD, then you might be pleased to find out that PSN will be happy to sell you a copy for significantly less than £60.
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 04-02-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    I had my ring penetrated on Takeshi's Castle.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

I trace this problem to 3 things:
    1) renewed interest in Sega CD/MCD (a system that was previously almost universally loathed).
    2) Ebays freaking BS listing practice of "this item is trending at" with horrible algorithms which have done nothing but cause insane hyper inflation
    3) resellers and opportunists trying to make a buck off the "retro economy."

Its all a giant bubble of nonsense that will pop. Its classic boom-bust cycle stuff caused by inflation and speculation. Try having a garage sale or other local sale and see how much this stuff /really/ sells for. Its all bogus imo.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    I trace this problem to 3 things:
    1) renewed interest in Sega CD/MCD (a system that was previously almost universally loathed).
    Sadly its been going on for years. Not really helped by some of the super low print runs of latter Mega CD titles back in the day. Unlike in the USA Mega CD software sold like crap and made up less than 1% of the UK gaming market (one of the markets the hardware sold ok) . I think the only other place the Mega CD did ok in was Spain.
    The price of Pal Adv Of Batman on the Mega CD is crazy and has been for decades now. And to think I got mine from Gameplay for £24.99 back in the day now it can go for over £700 Its nuts.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    ^ What's your opinion of buying repros? I'm considering it at this point, have for a long while.
    For a system where you can burn your own games this easy, repros make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    I think some just like to have the artwork and all that. With Retro getting bigger all the time (even with clothing) I so wish SEGA would look to do print runs of some treasured Saturn and Mega CD games. CD's are still being pressed and I can't see it being that hard for SEGA to do some limited runs (not sure about GD Roms for DC thought) in the same way Nike and the like have remade their Nike Air Max. Be so nice to see SEGA reprint the likes of Sonic CD or Panzer Dragoon Orta or even Shining Force III
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    I was talking everything retro game related. Mega/Sega CD are not the only platform to see a massive spike in prices. Sorry, should've been clearer in my post.

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    ^ What's your opinion of buying repros? I'm considering it at this point, have for a long while.
    i personally dont care
    in the end i just want to play the fucking game but i dont want to sell a kidney to do so
    so if a repro allows me to do that il buy a repro
    authenticity be damned i buy these games to play them not to display them
    Kitsune in a hat

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    I have sealed copy of Earthworm Jim SE (USNTSC). I'd be up for a straight swap with a Terminator CD of the same region...
    I could have hooked you up with a sweet deal on Terminator CD last year.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I could have hooked you up with a sweet deal on Terminator CD last year.
    I love to know why that game commands so much money both the USA and on Pal. The game was crap and just had a decent music score. Sure it was better than the Mega Drive version, but that was saying nothing. Still I got my version of like £3 in a shop sale of Mega CD stuff, so shouldn't really moan I guess lol
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I love to know why that game commands so much money both the USA and on Pal. The game was crap and just had a decent music score. Sure it was better than the Mega Drive version, but that was saying nothing. Still I got my version of like £3 in a shop sale of Mega CD stuff, so shouldn't really moan I guess lol
    I got Terminator CD for $1.99 about 5 years ago and sold it here for $30 shipped. I'd bought a copy of Lunar on the Sega CD for about $8 (maybe 8 years ago) and sold it to Melf for a little bit more a couple of years later. I also gave him a sweet deal on The Space Adventure, which I got for $20 and sold to him at the same price. It's crazy how much The Space Adventure sells for now.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information