Quantcast

Thread: About HTTPS for sega-16.com/forum

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Pha's Avatar

Default About HTTPS for sega-16.com/forum

Hello,

About HTTPS for sega-16.com/forum fo reassure users, because currently passwords circulate in clear which is serious, is that planned ?

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I agree this is a relevant issue that needs to be addressed. If Melf or someone needs assistance making the modifications please reach out.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I second this! I've noticed for a while that sega-16 runs on HTTP not HTTPS. Passwords are sent hashed with MD5 when logging in as far as I know, but site-wide encryption is still the best way to go.

This might be a good time to mention, since there is a lot of crossover between these sites, but spritesmind.net actually sends passwords completely unencrypted when logging in.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

I've shown this thread to our webmaster, so he can determine what needs to be done (if anything).

For what's worth it, the forum already loads with HTTPS Everywhere… just without the stylesheet. So the forum kind of works with HTTPS but some part doesn't.

I'd say that more problematic than the password is MITM attacks. Stealing the password is bad but if it was unique to this forum there isn't much to be lost. An infected router that injects malware into plain HTTP pages? Way more problematic.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

"For what's worth it, the forum already loads with HTTPS Everywhere"

Yeah it loads but if I want to see the forum as it should normally be presented or have full functionality when posting I have to disable it.

We are almost in the year 2020 and the forum still does not natively support https encryption which affects the security of users and therefore the site...

Can we know the reason for such paralysis ???
    Because KEGA Fusion is anything but absurd.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

CVE Details Vulnerability Vbulletin » Vbulletin » 4.2.3

Edit: This is one of a short list of sites I need to disable protections for.

Also like seeing this from Firefox "The information you have entered on this page will be sent over an insecure connection and could be read by a third party.

Are you sure you want to send this information?"
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 10-16-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Agreed...we definitely need HTTPS for the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

https is the way to go..

Quote Originally Posted by Pha View Post
    We are almost in the year 2020 and the forum still does not natively support https encryption which affects the security of users and therefore the site...

Because the forum and site are on someone else's server and they have not done the upgrade. I don't know when or if they will, and I do not have the access or knowledge to do it myself. I'm looking at some options, but this site is paid for by ads and my own pocket, and migrating to a different server is expensive.

If you ever decide to look at other hosts (may be worth looking at it long term?), Plutiedev is hosted in Kualo and they're pretty cheap for what they offer. Just note that you'll have to start Let's Encrypt from cPanel or you'll be stuck with a self-signed certificate (trivial step but easy to overlook). I don't know what are your needs but leaving it here, may want to check with support if you're unsure (they're pretty responsive from my experience).

https://www.kualo.co.uk/

EDIT: note, they have hosting in the US and the UK if that matters, don't get misled by the address I copied here :​v

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    This might be a good time to mention, since there is a lot of crossover between these sites, but spritesmind.net actually sends passwords completely unencrypted when logging in.
    Spritesmind runs phpbb, which is the most insecure forum software ever written.

phpBB 3 is a lot more secure than 2 used to be at least.

Note that SpritesMind does support HTTPS just fine… it's just that browsers will default to plain HTTP unless explicitly told otherwise (i.e. you have to manually add https:// or the browser won't use HTTPS). I guess Kaneda never got around changing the server configuration to always redirect to the HTTPS version.

Quote Originally Posted by Pha View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Because the forum and site are on someone else's server and they have not done the upgrade. I don't know when or if they will, and I do not have the access or knowledge to do it myself. I'm looking at some options, but this site is paid for by ads and my own pocket, and migrating to a different server is expensive.
    In short, you pay a very expensive service with forced advertising when it is not up to the task of securing in https your site, it is very boring.

Can we know how much you site costs you in us$ over a maximum of 1 year? And how many hours did you spend ?

Finally, what are the criteria you are looking for for a possible migration (geographical location, capacity, etc.)

With the passage on the forum, maybe having an idea of what you are looking for could help you...
    Because KEGA Fusion is anything but absurd.

Thread Information