Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series That Survived or Actually Improved Over Time

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

Default Series That Survived or Actually Improved Over Time

cause i am known to be a miserable bastard why not post a thread where i try to be positive for once ?
    in other words a thread about series that actually went from strength to strength even if they are not active anymore today
    as lomng as they seurvived sequels and numerous reboots only to come out better or stronger
    that survived the jump to 3d or copious amount of reboots and actually improved or are just going from strength to strength

active series preferred but inactive or dead series are allowed too

the first and most obvious is mario
    say what you want about nintendo but mario never really faltered down the line
    the naming schemes might be ridicilous but even the lesser mario games are still solid platformers

tomb raider the reboots
    the original 6 games aged about as well as milk
    clunky controls god awfull graphics and 1-5 run on the same engine which gets creakier and creakier with each game
    the first reboot fixed all of tomb raiders original issues
    the second reboot is a damn fine series in its own right

virtua tennis
    thats a series that never really dipped at all
    each entry was as solid as the last one its just a shame that the last game is a decade old

smash bros even the supposed "bad one " is a solid title
    and all five of them are good for hours upon hours of manic fun
    Last edited by KitsuneNight; 04-05-2019 at 05:07 PM.
    Kitsune in a hat

Outrunner

As far I know Zelda, but not I am a very fan of those games, thought. I guess Nintendo usually makes things "right".

Resident Evil. I thought with 6 everything was lost. But then 7 happened. Then RE2 Remake happened!... and Iam really enjoying Revelations 1 (single player) and Revelations 2 (raid mode is really fun! Sadly single player is bleh)

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Draknegard/Nier. Drakengard games are miserable in gameplay. Nier was serviceable but by the time Platinum developed Automata they made an exceptional game. Improved all the gameplay problems. Some might complain having to play as 9S to repeat some chapters but his gameplay is different enough it's ok compared to the original you had to play the second half of the game several times and that includes the bosses and the final boss.

Persona. Each entry has improved the gameplay massively. It's debatable on characters and story. Persona 4 has my fave cast overall and setting but Persona 5 dumping randomized dungeons I believe stems from Tokyo Mirage Sessions and then expanded on those even. I found them fun in Persona 5 and on top of that for those who wanted randomized dungeons still they had the optional subway tunnel one that goes the entire game. I have not played the spinoffs other than 4 Arena which is fun.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Rayman. The first one was a great 2D platformer, the second one is a reference title for 3D platformers, and even though I didn't like Rayman 3 that much, it wasn't a bad game. Then 8 years later, the excellent Rayman Origins was released (my favorite of the series). The sequel only builds upon the quality of the first.

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    the second reboot is a damn fine series in its own right
    I mentioned this one in the other thread. While the first reboot honors and perfects the established style of the series, the second reboot is a completely different type of game. To me, it's Tomb Raider in name only...
    A very wise Mighty Pirate™ once said: "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Raiden still going strong since 1990. It's arguable whether the games improved over subsequent releases, though personally I'd probably say IV and V are as least as good or better than II, for a few reasons. Almost thirty years for the old Seibu warhorse.

Raiden V has a lot of points in it's favour to sway it as one of the best IMO. Never mind people whining about the voice acting (which can be disabled immediately anyway, I've still never heard it to this day) or visibility issues (yeah, not really a huge issue even at it's worst). And it only took twenty eight years, but we have a bunch of new weapon systems to deploy this time as well. MOSS had to play it safe with such a iconic formula I guess.

Mario and Zelda are obvious ones. Namco's Tales of also seems to be surviving just fine. Street Fighter, Guilty Gear and King of Fighters also never lost themselves. Mortal Kombat has found itself again. I still didn't play the last one, but God of War seems to still be as it should be. And RE also seems to have found itself back on track.
    Last edited by paulojr_mam; 04-05-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

For me the Mario and Zelda games have gone downhill.

My choice would be ...

Yakuza (thought each game is much the same as before)But each new game brings in better animations and better combat system

Call Of Duty (The Infinity ward games) I love all the IW Call of Duty games they keep improving the engine and adding in ever more big set pieces

GTA: Each new game just gets ever more vast and on a scale that no other developer can match. The character development, script and game world in GTA V was incredible.

Forza: Each new game adds in ever more features and the quality bar in with spin-off that is the Horizon series is something else.

GOD Of War: Studio Santa Monica just keep outdoing themselves (and all other developers) on a technical level with each new game.

Resident Evil: Part 6 was never as bad as people made out and I've enjoyed all the main games in the series and RE7 is my game of this generation.

Ace Combat: Loved the series in both the Arcades and home and Ace Combat 7 is for me the best in the series.

DOOM: Was not the biggest fan of the PC versions, but loved Doom 3 and 2016 DOOM is something else, it's like a traditional shotter meets an FPS

Other honourable mentions...

FIFA
    Dead Or Alive
    Hitman
    DMC
    Mortal Kombat
    Virtual Fighter
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

We have not had a new Virtua Fighter in over a decade. How is it still thriving?

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    We have not had a new Virtua Fighter in over a decade. How is it still thriving?
    Since when was this thread about a title thriving?. We haven't a new Virtua Tennis game for nearly a decade, but as KitsuneNight said, the quality with each entry never dipped
    I think the point of the thread was where a game had a number of sequels or reboots and the quality bar remains high. Think one could say that about Virtual Fighter myself
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Civilisation immediately comes to mind.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Since when was this thread about a title thriving?. We haven't a new Virtua Tennis game for nearly a decade, but as KitsuneNight said, the quality with each entry never dipped
    I think the point of the thread was where a game had a number of sequels or reboots and the quality bar remains high. Think one could say that about Virtual Fighter myself
    other words a thread about series that actually do stil thrive and are going strong to this day
    ^^

other words a thread about series that actually do stil thrive and are going strong to this day
    I wouldn't say Virtua Tennis is still going strong, we haven't seen a brand new title in that series since 2011 and its a series that been completely absent this gen both in the Arcades and on the consoles sadly. Shame too I thought VT IV was the best in the series
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    ^^
    amended my OP both active and inactive series are allowed
    otherwise i disregarded my own guidelines by including virtua tennis
    Kitsune in a hat

Probably unpopular here but can I throw Neptunia into the list? :​v The first game was just about as much garbage as Compile Heart was known for (and NISA almost refused to localize it), but somehow became popular out of nowhere¹ and it shows, because the later games clearly had bigger budgets. Heck, by the time we talk about VII there isn't much left to complain (aside from certain dungeon but it is the quick grind optional dungeon after all). Spin-offs are… hit and miss (the latest one ran head-on into miss :​v) but to be fair those are outsourced.

Also I should probably note that Neptunia is a lot tamer than just about everything else Compile Heart puts out >_> (despite what the preorder bonuses may lead people to think, they aren't the only ones doing that shit tho)

¹ Probably because people kept comparing it with Segagaga

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Probably unpopular here but can I throw Neptunia into the list? :​v
    i dont see why not
    i still need to play the games though
    Kitsune in a hat

Thread Information