Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You're First Saturn Game

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Pretty sure the first I had was Panzer Dragoon. I got the system and unit from Funco (both used) and then got home and started playing.

Of note, I had a N64 before Saturn and would have gotten the Saturn instead of the N64 if they had more games in stock. There were like no games in stock when I tried to purchase it originally so I just went for the 64 and GoldenEye instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

I bought Guardian Heroes first, then Legend of Oasis, and finally the model 2 Saturn with demo pack-ins and VF2/Remix? (it's been so long!)

Quote Originally Posted by GameUser-16-32-128 View Post
    I bought Guardian Heroes first, then Legend of Oasis, and finally the model 2 Saturn with demo pack-ins and VF2/Remix? (it's been so long!)
    Were you a fan of Beyond Oasis? How do you think Legend compares?

Master of Shinobi Hidden_Darkness's Avatar

I got my Saturn on clearance in 1998 so by then the games were getting pretty cheap like around $5-$10 each, I remember getting these with my Saturn: Sonic Jam, Sonic R, Virtua Fighter Kids, Virtual On. It was the first game system I actually slowly payed off myself because of Walmart having layaway back then. A couple months later I ended up getting a Action Replay with a Japanese copy of Dragon Ball Z Legends for my birthday from a independent game store.

My first encounter with the Saturn was at a now-gone Disc Replay in a shopping mall. I was suffering through one of the patented Nintendo game droughts that their consoles seem to go through. I saw this and I saw three games on display for it: Darius Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, and Virtua Racing. I left the store thinking "hm, that's neat."

I asked around some forums ("are these good games?") and got a helpful response from longtime sega lover TheCoop, and decided at $85ish for the whole lot, I could do worse.

It's hard to think of a better intro to the console, imo. I mean, Virtua Racer sucked (as I would find out, the Saturn port was not up to snuff). But Zwei and Darius Gaiden had me hooked from the get go. Seeing those large fish sprites made me a fan for life.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I picked up my Saturn in June 1997 with Daytona CCE, Doom, and Tomb Raider. The first game I popped in was Daytona and I was blown away by how realistic it seemed. And I loved the rock remixes of Let's Go Away and Pounding Pavement. I still love this game today, even if the original port was more accurate in terms of converting the coin-ops gameplay across.

I loved Doom for a long time until a friend pointed out how dodgy the port was. And it took me a while to warm to Tomb Raider.

You are your first Saturn game?
    I purchased a used lot out of the newspaper classifieds. Of all the games in there, I'd probably be Panzer Dragoon the most.

First game I bought by itself. Guardian Heroes brand new for $14.99
    I could be that one too.

Master of Shinobi

I don't remember the first one I *played*, but the first games I owned were the Bootleg Sampler demo cd, then Virtua Fighter 1, Baku Baku, Sim City 2000, X-Men COTA, Worms, VF Kids.... I think in that order but I'm not sure (except for Bootleg Sampler which was included with the console).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

IIRC it was Mystaria. 'Twas a long time ago.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

My bud and I rented a Saturn immediately at launch with all three of the games the shop had, Virtua Fighter, Panzer Dragoon and Daytona USA. That was a great weekend. When I bought my own system it was the three pack that had VF2, Daytona and Virtua Cop 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

I didn't know the Saturn existed until the 2000s, but can someone fix the typo in the title(Your First Saturn Game).
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

I played a Nights into Dreams demo and was blown away. I ultimately ended up getting an N64, and it's taken me 24 years to finally buy that Saturn. Glad that I finally have one

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Top 12 GameCube Games Ever Made - Features, Episode 5

Bust A Move 2: Arcade Edition. It came with my Saturn. At the time, it left a lot to be desired for my first experience with the console. In retrospect, it's a good game/series. You can't really go wrong with Bust A Move.

Thread Information