Quantcast

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gleylancer re-release by Columbus Circle

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    So decided to check the Amazon pages to see what was the deal with that and huh, it says it ships to Argentina (which wasn't the case for 16-bit Rhythm Heaven). So I guess there goes the question about whether their license is limited to Japan or not.

On that note, there are two editions at different prices, so beware of that. Not sure what the second edition contains… it says wallpapers but surely it's more than that? Because there's 7841 yen of difference and I doubt the cost comes entirely from the wallpapers. Anybody know better?
    It only says it ships to Argentina now because the official pre-orders have sold out - you're seeing the shipping info for the re-sellers.

Originally, there were two official pre-order listings on amazon.co.jp, both at the same price (or almost same). One of the listings was labeled as a limited edition Amazon exclusive that contained wallpaper art of some sort. I think that was the only difference.

I just followed the links from the official site… this whole thing is a trainwreck (・~・)

Amusingly they seem to have tweeted nothing about it since the 12th. You'd think they'd at least want to mention when preorders sold out. Oh well.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Unless this release is a proper 5v mask rom pcb, it's not much better than an aliexpress bootleg.

The Howling Wind Force Wildside Expert Kaze Okami's Avatar

Preorders on Play-Asia are live. Just got mine in.

Quote Originally Posted by MushaAleste View Post
    Unless this release is a proper 5v mask rom pcb, it's not much better than an aliexpress bootleg.
    I hope you never check into any homebrew because absolutely none of them is mask ROM (5V? sure, but mask ROM? yeah no, either it's 5V EPROM or 3.3V Flash + hopefully level shifters).

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Are there even factories capable of manufacturing new mask ROMs? No idea. I think all of the EPROMs used nowadays are recycled old parts.

Releases like this and Vixen 357 are hard for me to justify picking up in a way that Tanglewood and Xeno Crisis are not, especially at a premium price point of ~$60.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Are there even factories capable of manufacturing new mask ROMs? No idea. I think all of the EPROMs used nowadays are recycled old parts.
    I was even gonna say so, but some people seem to think that Switch cards are actually using mask ROM. I was under the assumption that they were just Flash with no write commands available, but I have no clue to be honest.

And yeah, the EPROM parts used in homebrew are all used spare parts and there's a significant failure rate among them (i.e. chips that have to be discarded because they can't be written and retain the data). I'd have thought everybody would have moved to Flash by now, but instead there was some weird peak of EPROM use (looks like they may have been a sudden drop in price from those spare parts or something, which temporarily put it below Flash + level shifters? definitely not something to consider to keep using in the long term)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

My point being... Columbus Circle is notorious for using the cheapest Chinese flash blanks. The very same you will find in current 5$ ali bootlegs. I asked them politely for a photo of the PCB. If they should actually answer i shall share it here.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaze Okami View Post
    Preorders on Play-Asia are live. Just got mine in.
    Same. Looks to be up there at about $55 USD
    https://www.play-asia.com/advanced-busterhawk-gley-lancer/13/70cnmd

Use the promo code GEMATSU to save $3
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Road Rasher

And now it’s back to ‘coming soon’ on Play Asia. Wtf?!? Have I missed out on a pre-order?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Eazy's Avatar

I am very very happy for this and I have contemplated buying the original in the past, thank goodness I didn't. Will order as soon as the pre orders become open again. Its one of the few shooters I'm missing.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Yeah it was only open for a bit before it closed again. The limit of 2500 is pretty small when you think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

ugh what a scalper nightmare. I really want to be excited for this but the artwork looks better on the original, there's no guarantee of the quality control for the plastic or clamshell case, let alone the quality of the PCB and manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    ugh what a scalper nightmare. I really want to be excited for this but the artwork looks better on the original, there's no guarantee of the quality control for the plastic or clamshell case, let alone the quality of the PCB and manufacturing.
    You make a good point. If I knew that everything about this physical release would be top quality I'd want to buy it even though I do have the original.

But anything less and it would be a disappointment.

Also, a run of 2500 sounds pretty big for a re-issue of an old game. Do you guys think it will sell out super fast?
    It's not like it's a Limited Run game.

Thread Information