Quantcast

Thread: You live in an apartment in Japan. You have space for just one Sega collection.

Default You live in an apartment in Japan. You have space for just one Sega collection.

There's only room for one Sega console under the TV. Your bookshelves only have space for one of your Sega game collections.

Under this arbitrary hypothetical you can't mix and match. Everdrives and other modern conveniences can't help you.

You have to pick one and keep it out year round. The rest go into storage.

Which would you pick and why? I think this is subtly different from "which is your favorite?"

I'm torn between Saturn and G/MD. I'm thinking I'd probably go G/MD, even though the Saturn import library is excellent. The list of replayable, high-quality G/MD games and the variety in that list is just so strong. I think it would probably have something to suit my changing gaming tastes and whims over the course of the year better than Saturn could. And it's getting new games all the time, unlike Saturn.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Sega Master System/Mark III is the most enjoyable/exciting library/hardware for me to play, regardless of how I may objectively judge libraries.

So I would stick with the one that I'd have the most fun with.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Sega Saturn. Mainly because traditional shooters are my fav genre and the Saturn got the best line up of those style of games and it also features the best 3D shooters going too.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Saturn or Dreamcast...

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

At the moment I find myself playing more Genesis than anything else, so I pick that. There's a large variety of games, and a ton of "pick up and play" games that you can play for 5 minutes. I don't have a lot of time for games at the moment, so when I have an hour, it's often spent with the Genesis.

Definitely Saturn. Huge library and if I'm living in Japan I would imagine I knew how to understand the language.
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Dreamcast. I love the Saturn more than Genesis but DC will always remain my console BFF. I will die with a DC in the clutches of my hands.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I'm assuming these are Japanese libraries as well so I'd have to go with the Saturn. Just so much variety and lots of solid games that are fun to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

To be clear, am I actually limited to my collection, as in no games outside of what I already own? I assume not since you made a point of saying that this would be in Japan.

Considering the only console I've had hooked up since my last move is the Genesis, it's a pretty easy call to go with that. Even without the Everdrive, having access to the JP library and thus Bare Knuckle 3, Twinkle Tale, Battle Mania Daiginjou, Panorama Cotton, et al. makes it a cinch. As much as I love the Saturn, the 16-bitter's always been my go-to and that's not changing any time soon. Plus, the Genesis easily dominates the run-'n-gun and action/platforming scene between the two, and those have become my favorite types of games by a fair margin.

Dreamcast, as I'll get some of the hits from previous generations plus more infinitely replayable games (for me) like Third Strike, Virtua Tennis, ChuChu Rocket, PSO, NFK2K, Typing of the Dead, etc. The only spot I think the system struggles with would be 2-D platformers, but I'd have plenty of shooters, fighters, arcade and other games to last me for a year. Plus it's the console which would save you the most space in the theoretical tiny apartment thanks to the jewel cases, small system size, and ability to output to a PC monitor (and look good doing it without extra, expensive outside solutions).

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Am I allowed to cheat and count the Mega Drive as a Master System too?

The DC.... . Hands down....
    I almost choose the saturn because of the capcom
    Fighters......
    Then i realized MVC2 and the deal was broken.
    Freakin love that game.
    Akuma,Storm,Juggernaut was my main team.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Eazy's Avatar

Definitely the sega saturn. Not only for the shooters but the large assortment of fighting games I could master.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

My Mega Drive all day long. I'm gonna cheat too and include my Mega CD because it sits snugly underneath my model 1 MD, thus saving space. Since my bookshelves will be full of my Mega Drive games I'll have to keep my Mega CD games under my bed.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The Saturn is my favorite, for a lot of reasons, but in this case I'd have to go with the Dreamcast. I don't know moon language, so 90% of the Japanese software for the Saturn would be useless to me. All but 4 of my Dreamcast games fit in these two crates.

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information