Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame (Cathedral) maybe lost to raging fire

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Sad Notre Dame (Cathedral) maybe lost to raging fire

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pari...e-reuters.html

One tower has collapsed. To lose something that historic sucks. Being called accidental due to work on the building.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Master of Shinobi Crystalpepsifan's Avatar

Tis all part of God's plan.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Horrible and to think the wood timber roof had survived since the 12 and 13th centuries Medieval craftsmanship at ist very best . This is horrible news, that place was amazing (so lucky I got to see it and visit the place) now lost forever
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalpepsifan View Post
    Nicotine addict on a smoke break?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I guess Frollo's musical bit about hellfire got out of hand.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

Really though, this is horrible. Hopefully the damage doesn't get too out of hand. The structure can probably be rebuilt using the many photographs we have these days, but any artwork and other items are irreplaceable.

It's sad to see this happen, but In the future the "fire of 2019" will just be another piece of the building's long history.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Also at this time they believe they can save the main structure. And a tower didn't fall...only the very iconic spire in the middle of the cathedral. Still, it is a tragic loss. They were also apparently able to get quite a bit of the artwork out of there. But tapestries and lots of other art that was part of the cathedral is lost. Looks like the stained glass is a loss as well and that is very sad. They can rebuild yes, but they were already struggling to finish the funding to finish the rebuilding project they were already in the middle of. I can't even fathom the cost in today's day and age 850+ years later it would take to bring it back to even 75% of what it used to be. It simply isn't practical and it would never be quite the same even if they could or did. I'm sure they can restore parts of the interior with all new woodwork and put on a new roof, but it just won't be the same and it is very sad to see. I did my senior research paper on Gothic cathedrals and naturally Notre Dame was a large part of that paper and presentation.

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Is this the same one that houses the Chartres Labyrinth? I was thinking of ordering a chaplet recently that has the Chartres maze as it's symbol. More interested in getting one now since this happened, whether or not it is the same place.

This is a travesty! Hopefully the country rallies behind the fire and funds the renovation. But I'm sure that will be scuttled by some "Separation of Church and State" nonsense and tax dollars will be wasted on something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Also at this time they believe they can save the main structure. And a tower didn't fall...only the very iconic spire in the middle of the cathedral. Still, it is a tragic loss. They were also apparently able to get quite a bit of the artwork out of there. But tapestries and lots of other art that was part of the cathedral is lost. Looks like the stained glass is a loss as well and that is very sad. They can rebuild yes, but they were already struggling to finish the funding to finish the rebuilding project they were already in the middle of. I can't even fathom the cost in today's day and age 850+ years later it would take to bring it back to even 75% of what it used to be. It simply isn't practical and it would never be quite the same even if they could or did. I'm sure they can restore parts of the interior with all new woodwork and put on a new roof, but it just won't be the same and it is very sad to see. I did my senior research paper on Gothic cathedrals and naturally Notre Dame was a large part of that paper and presentation.
    It'll be dust in 850 years. What buildings other than the Great Pyramids and the smaller Pyramids of the world have lasted nearly over a millennium?

It's sad that this fire happened at such an historical building. I believe the same happened to Windsor Castle some time ago, and it survived.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    I guess Frollo's musical bit about hellfire got out of hand.
    I'll burn down all Paris if I have to. FIND THE GYPSY GIRL.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Insurance fraud?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

WCPO Agent

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

hahhaha yes fuck the church! i'm in favor of nonlethal church burnings

Still kinda sad to see an icon of Paris burn like this.
    I'm pretty sure they'll rebuild it. Will it have the same history as the original? Maybe not, but it'll still be better than a pile of ashes (or a parking lot).

Master of Shinobi Crystalpepsifan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Insurance fraud?
    Take your pick. Mysterious ways, and whatnot.

Thread Information