Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame (Cathedral) maybe lost to raging fire

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalpepsifan View Post
    So religion isn't the problem until it's a problem? Kinda sounds like religion is the problem.
    No. Allowing oneself to become manipulated and taking it too far over the edge is the issue. As an example, I'd say leading a good life and being a decent person holds more weight over a meaningless scare tactic of not eating meat on Friday during lent but there are nuts who believe you will suffer eternal damnation if you indulge in a cheeseburger on a Friday. You have priests living a life of Reilly, molesting children, etc.., but when they say no meat, people jump. People don't seem to use their mind.

Master of Shinobi Crystalpepsifan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    No. Allowing oneself to become manipulated and taking it too far over the edge is the issue. As an example, I'd say leading a good life and being a decent person holds more weight over a meaningless scare tactic of not eating meat on Friday during lent but there are nuts who believe you will suffer eternal damnation if you indulge in a cheeseburger on a Friday. You have priests living a life of Reilly, molesting children, etc.., but when they say no meat, people jump. People don't seem to use their mind.
    So....it sounds like you're saying religion is the problem. Hey, don't get me wrong, I agree.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Pretty huge difference between being spiritual (thus open to the idea that there is more to our existence) and religion which was pretty much just invented to scare people into order.
    of course the idea of "order" has differentiated a lot throughout the years, in the end people were just scared into not thinking for themselves and giving money to keep the church going. (by fear of going to hell)

Sure the Notre Dame was a nifty building to look at, but in the end it still stood for hundreds of years of fear mongering and oppression.

Then again these days people are allowed to walk around in a pink bear costume with their pierced cock hanging out while shouting about how they identify as a black lesbian female panther so.. maybe humanity had it coming.

That's a pretty big generalization.

There are Catholics that discovered you can con people out of money if you scare them. Then there's the Armenian and Greek Church and Judaism that united a people against an enemy over millennia that would have surely crushed them otherwise.

Islam?

For the Armenians, genocide, fragmentation, times of hardship, you name it. I don't consider the warmongering Europeans and their "religion" even in the same vein.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    For the Armenians, genocide, fragmentation, times of hardship, you name it. I don't consider the warmongering Europeans and their "religion" even in the same vein.
    What of the March days?

What? I like March. It's not too hot, but not cold.

Eh, it's not important. Unless your an Azerbaijani Muslim, so....it's not important.

Oh, that's what Americans call the events of 1918 in Baku. Those events are very significant and important.

That was a political conflict and does not belong in this discussion. The Azeris rebelled against the Soviets, the established government, which brought their own fate upon them due to their own mistrust. The conflict was also tendered and promoted by interested foreign parties looking to profit, as it continues to this day. A few months after, the Azeris rebelled (again), this time against the Armenians, except ethnically motivated instead of political as before, and killed thousands (the 1918 Baku massacre). After the Armenian Genocide, this number of Armenians killed is almost meaningless anyway.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

That's a pretty big generalization.

There are Catholics that discovered you can con people out of money if you scare them. Then there's the Armenian and Greek Church and Judaism that united a people against an enemy over millennia that would have surely crushed them otherwise.
    Then there's Muhammed that gathered enough people behind his "back to the old teachings" Muslim religion and destroyed the Pagen cities that expelled him for preaching nonsense.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Then there's Muhammed that gathered enough people behind his "back to the old teachings" Muslim religion and destroyed the Pagen cities that expelled him for preaching nonsense.
    I didn't want to say it...

Pagan cities aren't just going to burn themselves. I mean, it's not like god is going to do his own dirty work.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I didn't want to say it...
    It gets even better. This remote island in the Pacific has been worshiping the Plane Gods since WWII.

https://www.indy100.com/article/remo...es-sky-7382991

After the planes delivered food and supplies to the islanders, the group began to believe that cargo would be brought to them by a Messiah. Consequently, whenever they saw a plane fly overhead they would build a replica - in the hope of more bounty.

The islanders did not know where the objects were coming from; which led them to believe that the objects derived from magic. The religion was first discovered in 1946 by Australian government patrols, and there are a few but diverse number of cargo religions left.

Notably, one of the cargo sects is referred to as the John Frum movement because they believe Frum, a seemingly fictional First World War serviceman, is the Messiah sent from God.

Dr Richard Feynman, an astrophysicist, described the cult in a 1974 paper, he said: “During the war the [cargo religion] saw airplanes land with lots of good materials, and they want the same thing to happen now. So they've arranged to imitate things like runways, to put fires along the sides of the runways, to make a wooden hut for a man to sit in, with two wooden pieces on his head like headphones and bars of bamboo sticking out like antennas — he's the controller — and they wait for the airplanes to land.

"They're doing everything right. The form is perfect. It looks exactly the way it looked before. But it doesn't work. No airplanes land. So I call these things cargo cult science, because they follow all the apparent precepts and forms of scientific investigation, but they're missing something essential, because the planes don't land."

Ian Haworth, an expert in cult psychology, told indy100: "There are five characteristics that make up a cult. A cult is a group using forced techniques of cohesion using psychology and other forms.

"I would suggest that doesn’t sound like a cult, that’s not a cult in our definition. They have adopted a system of worship."

Haworth suggests that the the group are “more a sect and not a cult”.

He added: "Sects are found in all religions. However, cults have a pyramid structure with an authoritative figure at the top.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

It gets even better. This remote island in the Pacific has been worshiping the Plane Gods since WWII.

https://www.indy100.com/article/remo...es-sky-7382991
    I remember this. It reminds me of the film The Gods Must Be Crazy. For anyone who has never seen it. It's a comedy where a plane flies over an African Tribe like this and the pilot throws his empty Coke bottle out the window. The tribe finds it and thinks it's a gift form the gods. They never seen a bottle before. They find all sorts of uses for it as a tool...eventually because there is only one bottle they fight over who can use it and when. So the leader of the tribe takes it to the end of what he believe of Earth and discards it while questioning why the gods gave them such a thing.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thread Information