Quantcast

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Antstream - Google Stadia But for Retro Games

  1. #1
    Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Age
    33
    Posts
    14,162
    Rep Power
    152

    Yuck Antstream - Google Stadia But for Retro Games



    A streaming service for retro games. Oh and it's a kickstarter as well.

    Opinions? Personally I think it looks shit, fuck streaming all together, and double fuck off retro gaming streaming. The whole thing looks like it will fail even if did hit it's goal, which is sure to do.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 04-15-2019 at 05:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sandy Let Go My Eggo, CA
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    LOL No thanks!


  3. #3
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,088
    Rep Power
    117

    Default

    There's no way they can have 1000's of games without licensing them, and they'd lose their ass if they didn't license them.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  4. #4
    Outrunner Mad Moham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    718
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I'll pass. I don't believe for one second that there's so little latency. I also noticed that wealthy investors like Ian Livingstone and Jon Burton have already put their money into this, so why the fuck are they using Kickstarter? They should already have all the money they need. I'm willing to bet everything I own that Jon and Ian could have scraped together another £50,000 between them.
    I had my ring penetrated on Takeshi's Castle.

  5. #5
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,185
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I'll pass. I don't believe for one second that there's so little latency. I also noticed that wealthy investors like Ian Livingstone and Jon Burton have already put their money into this, so why the fuck are they using Kickstarter? They should already have all the money they need. I'm willing to bet everything I own that Jon and Ian could have scraped together another £50,000 between them.
    AFAIK Jon Burton's worth £100 million+, so yeah, I'm not sure why a Kickstarter's needed. The amount they're asking is low too, so I half wonder whether it's being used more to generate some initial interest free (profitable in fact) publicity rather than funding development in any meaningful way.

    The response on his Youtube channel seems to have been overwhelmingly negative. Streaming retro games makes no sense when local downloads of the ROMs would use less bandwidth than streaming, and streaming limits where and when the games can be played. I certainly wouldn't want to stream games on my phone when the data cap is pretty tight, but WIFI suitable for streaming isn't available everywhere.

  6. #6
    Outrunner Mad Moham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    718
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    AFAIK Jon Burton's worth £100 million+, so yeah, I'm not sure why a Kickstarter's needed. The amount they're asking is low too, so I half wonder whether it's being used more to generate some initial interest free (profitable in fact) publicity rather than funding development in any meaningful way.

    The response on his Youtube channel seems to have been overwhelmingly negative. Streaming retro games makes no sense when local downloads of the ROMs would use less bandwidth than streaming, and streaming limits where and when the games can be played. I certainly wouldn't want to stream games on my phone when the data cap is pretty tight, but WIFI suitable for streaming isn't available everywhere.

    Seriously, £100mil? His money is his business, so I don't know how anyone could arrive at that estimate but I'm pretty sure he doesn't need Kickstarter right now.
    The negative response on his YouTube channel doesn't seem to have stopped backers from throwing most of the £50,000 at the idea already either.

    I also don't like the way they're trying to position this as a way to pay the devs for their work BITD. The only people who will see a penny from this are the directors of whichever companies own the rights to the games now.
    I had my ring penetrated on Takeshi's Castle.

  7. #7
    Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    4,700
    Rep Power
    51

    Default

    I think its a great idea and hope it works out. I'm not really sure why people need to bring up Jon own personal money, that his money for his family. I much rather his company looked to the banks for captial, rather than Kickstarter mind (I'm not a fan of it)
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  8. #8
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,185
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Seriously, £100mil? His money is his business, so I don't know how anyone could arrive at that estimate but I'm pretty sure he doesn't need Kickstarter right now.
    He was in the Sunday Times Rich list in the UK as being worth £80 million in 2012 and £90 million in 2015, so he's likely passed £100 mil by now. I don't know what their exact methodology is, but apparently the list is compiled from publicly available information. I don't have a Times subscription so I can't access the newest list.

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I think its a great idea and hope it works out. I'm not really sure why people need to bring up Jon own personal money, that his money for his family.
    It can be relevant because the implication of using Kickstarter is that a project needs that money to succeed, and it likely wouldn't be able to secure funding elsewhere. However, it's clear that Kickstarter has quite frequently been used by wealthy entrepreneurs and businesses as a means to eliminate their own exposure to risk rather than it being a necessity in order to get a project off the ground. I don't think that's the case here due to the small amount involved, but even so, I question the ethics of using Kickstarter when some of those involved are super rich and, by their own admission, the failure of the campaign would have negligible impact on the project itself. Super rich individuals and businesses asking for handouts doesn't sit well with me.
    Last edited by Silanda; 04-22-2019 at 09:22 AM.

  9. #9
    Outrunner Mad Moham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    718
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    He was in the Sunday Times Rich list in the UK as being worth £80 million in 2012 and £90 million in 2015, so he's likely passed £100 mil by now. I don't know what their exact methodology is, but apparently the list is compiled from publicly available information. I don't have a Times subscription so I can't access the newest list.
    And to think I was talked out of a career in software because: "by the time you graduate there won't be any money in it". Damn, I think I'll sue the school career advisors for the difference in income.

    I also know a guy who worked for one of Ian Livingstone's companies many many years ago, and I'm pretty sure that Ian could wipe his ass with £50,000 and not have to worry about it either.

    When did we start handing money to people who are already wealthy? I understand that having a net worth of 100mil doesn't mean you can write a check for that much (and have it clear), but I would be embarrassed to ask for £50,000 if I was already a millionaire.

    *Edit*
    In case anyone thinks I was being serious, obviously I'm not going to sue any careers advisors.
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 04-23-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    I had my ring penetrated on Takeshi's Castle.

  10. #10
    Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    4,700
    Rep Power
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post

    It can be relevant because the implication of using Kickstarter is that a project needs that money to succeed, and it likely wouldn't be able to secure funding elsewhere..
    I'm sorry I don't agree with you. That is his own personal fortune and that's a matter for just him and his family. I've no issue with Jon looking for funding, I just don't like the Kickstarter model at all and rather he looked to banks or investors
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  11. #11
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,198
    Rep Power
    61

    Default

    GameHut's site is on a free service when he could have easily afforded a cheapo hosting and avoided the WiX overload, just saying. This kickstarter makes more sense in comparison (・~・)

    Though that reminds me… £50,000 looks a tad low for starting a streaming service, doesn't it? Even when accounting for subscriber money later on.

  12. #12
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,185
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Though that reminds me… £50,000 looks a tad low for starting a streaming service, doesn't it? Even when accounting for subscriber money later on.
    Based on the Kickstarter page, I think it's more about promotion than development costs. On the campaign page it says this:

    As we are getting closer to our launch date, we felt that a crowdfunding campaign was a good way for us to do a number of things:

    We will learn from our prospective audience ahead of launch. This will allow us to serve them better, for example by installing servers in the regions where demand will be highest.
    We will start engaging with the fans about the games that will be available. We want the service to be built as a community space, and a crowdfunding campaign seems like a great way to start the conversation.
    We have many fans who have been supportive of our project over the years, this is also a way for us to offer them an opportunity to get their Antstream subscription at a much lower price point from the offering we will have at launch of $10 per month.
    We hope this will help to spread the word about Antstream far and wide.

    The funds collected will all go towards development of the platform, as well as adding more games and features. If the Kickstarter campaign does not reach its goal, it will not change our release schedule in any significant way. However, it might mean we will prioritise development differently.
    To their credit they're being honest, but I'm not really sure it's in the spirit of crowdfunding. Certainly not in the spirit of how crowdfunding is widely perceived.

    People say that Kickstarter campaigns aren't pre-orders, but isn't that exactly what this is? They appear to have a completed product nearly ready to launch, pretty much admit that they don't need the crowdfunding money, and the service will launch regardless of the success of the campaign. Backers are paying for a discounted subscription + digital bonuses, not really for development of the service as that has already taken place.

    Sorry for being negative, but I just don't like Kickstarter being used when it's clear that there's no need whatsoever.

  13. #13
    Outrunner Mad Moham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    718
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I think I figured this out. I doubt they need 50grand at all, I think backers are just paying for the privilege of providing cAntstream with market research data before launch. It looks a little sneaky to me.

    On a separate note, I love the way that Ashen gets cut off in the trailer. If I had to guess, I reckon he said a lot of negative things, and they just edited his one positive statement into the video.

    Also, as has already been pointed out in their youtube comments, it would take up less data to just download the game, and the games are still being emulated at the other end anyway so this "no fiddly emulator" stuff is bullshit.
    I had my ring penetrated on Takeshi's Castle.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •