Quantcast

Thread: DC HDMI Mod

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Dc DC HDMI Mod

Just ordered this...

https://shop.dansprojects.com/dchdmi-pre-order.html

... Looks pretty cool. Now, I just need to get it fitted, it's way beyond my soldering 'ability.'

Here's DF Retro's video...

... And the install...

https://youtu.be/0c3iSYbLoH8

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I posted that on the Digital Foundry thread yesterday.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I've been thinking really seriously about doing this mod on my DC in my kiosk along with getting a GDEMU (clone) for it so I could just lock it all up in the cabinet and not have to open it to swap out games..etc.

I've not had much luck trying to solder onto flex cable in the past, but I'm guessing the cable used in these mods is able to handle the heat better vs older mylar flex used in the 80s and 90s?

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Quality product but at that cost, I'll stick with my $85 Akura. Looks so much better than composite or S-video, and sounds great.

I can vouch for the DCHDMI mod. it is absolutely incredible. You will see the dithering that's everywhere on the Dreamcast though if you haven't noticed it already.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I'm surprised that the Dreamcast had to use dithering.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

It's pretty light, nowhere near as harsh as PlayStation stuff.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Just guessing here, but it probably can use 32-bit fb/textures. It's just that 16-bit is half the bandwidth -> more effects, larger textures... And dithering.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Just guessing here, but it probably can use 32-bit fb/textures. It's just that 16-bit is half the bandwidth -> more effects, larger textures... And dithering.
    That's pretty much my understanding, but in the Dreamcast's case it was probably space that was at a premium more than bandwidth. Developers chose to prioritise leaving more space for textures and instead take a small image quality hit. It could output to a 16-bit frame buffer with no dithering if needed. AFAIK all internal calculations took place at 32-bit irrespective of the frame buffer format.

What puzzles me though is why dithering was used in the BIOS interface. Surely they couldn't have been struggling for VRAM there, could they?

Thread Information