Quantcast

Thread: Pound HD Link Cable for Dreamcast

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Default Pound HD Link Cable for Dreamcast

Just thought I'd share my experience with this thing along with what I did for an improvement to the image - of course still not perfect, but much better IMO. I posted the info to Amazon review area, but I'm sure it'll get buried there and thought here might be a good place just in case anyone had a similar experience with this cable being too dark and colors being off. While I didn't necessarily need this cable since I modified my Dreamcast with a VGA out using its native capabilities, I did like the idea of having the convenience for use with televisions that did not have a VGA input. I'm waiting for a DCHDMI for my other Dreamcast, but here is a quick rundown of this cable from my experience:

1. The cable really does use the VGA signal from the Dreamcast and convert it to HDMI
    2. The cable does no upscaling - so if your TV doesn't accept the Dreamcast's odd resolution and refresh rate which is interpreted as 640480 VESA by most TV's, it may not work. 480p on a TV is supposed to be 720x480. Not the fault of the cable, but of the Dreamcast.
    3. If your TV doesn't work and you get a blank screen or no signal message, try turning on the Dreamcast first, and then turning on the TV. You can also try changing to a different input, and then back while the Dreamcast is on and some Televisions will pick up and trigger the 640x480 signal.
    4. My cable when comparing it to my VGA output was too dark and the colors were off. Not sure if all the cables from this company are that way, but I took mine apart and changed (increased) the resistance on the RGB input lines. This will both add brightness (without washing out the image), and color to your final output signal. I increased mine finally to similar values to that of my built in VGA output. To do this, change the three 75ohm SMD resistors and replace them with 120ohm resistors. See my picture for reference. If you want one step down, you can use 100ohm instead, but I get some really good results with the 120ohm.
    5. This cable out of the box produces loss in sharpness (noticeable) compared to the native Dreamcast VGA signal. It's not bad and less noticeable on a TV compared to a monitor, and the image is much better than using composite or S-video on a flat panel TV. It may be possible to adjust this also by changing the filtering components (usually capacitors), but unfortunately their values are unknown since they are not printed on them like the resistors. I'm sure some mad genius on this forum could probably figure those out if they really wanted to, but this is a cheap (while not perfect, it's easy) cable solution so I'm sure that depends on how much people want to put into it.

Hope this might be helpful to someone that doesn't mind tinkering. I really like my Pound cable much more after I made these changes because I didn't have to change a bunch of things on my television to compensate for brightness and contrast.

Bottom line:

If your TV has VGA input - stick with that
    If your playing on tube TV - stick with S-Video
    If you already have any of the other (like Behar bros.) solutions, those are better

however, looks great if:
    You've never seen other video solutions besides composite or S-video, need the convenience for using DC with most TV's with HDMI, or don't mind messing with it to get it a little better than it came out of the box.

618IVzw.jpgCGgfItY.jpg

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

Great rundown! I love my Hanzo VGA box, but even a cheap VGA cable will give you a decent picture if you're okay with a little added noise to your setup.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Playstation Salvation? HD Retrovision PS2/PS3 Component Cable

Thread Information