Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CRT monitor breaking down...

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Default CRT monitor breaking down...

The image keeps messing up into lines of light, dancing over the screen. I'd post a pic but it's not working for me right now, and you guys probably know what I mean anyway.

I know it's not worth $$ and all that, but has anyone actually fixed a broken CRT monitor?

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

I used to fix CRTs at my day job, but I really dont understand the issue by that description. A picture or a video is worth more than a thousand words, especially in video repair. You can easily upload a free short video with your phone here: https://streamable.com/
    Last edited by segasonicfan; 04-24-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Yeah what's the problem. CRTs are actually quite simple.

Alright well the forum won't upload my pic for whatever reason, maybe I'll post a quick vid to YouTube but I thought people would know what I mean. The image breaks down into tons of horizontal lines shaking over the image.

I have a heavy plant on top of the monitor but I wouldn't expect the weight to affect the functioning of the monitor? And the screen keeps doing it even if I lift off the plant.

It's not overheating, because the screen is doing this even when it's cold and newly turned-on.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Alright well the forum won't upload my pic for whatever reason
    https://imgur.com/

My go-to. No account needed.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Alright well the forum won't upload my pic for whatever reason, maybe I'll post a quick vid to YouTube but I thought people would know what I mean. The image breaks down into tons of horizontal lines shaking over the image.

I have a heavy plant on top of the monitor but I wouldn't expect the weight to affect the functioning of the monitor? And the screen keeps doing it even if I lift off the plant.

It's not overheating, because the screen is doing this even when it's cold and newly turned-on.
    If you're not willing to put in the work to upload images / videos, then odds are you're not going to put in the work to actually repair this. I would consider your level of commitment to this repair before asking others to step in and help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    If you're not willing to put in the work to upload images / videos, then odds are you're not going to put in the work to actually repair this. I would consider your level of commitment to this repair before asking others to step in and help you out.
    I know what you mean but I'm actually sentimental about this monitor so I really would love to repair it.

When the forum didn't upload my pic, I figured people would know what I meant, like I thought it was probably a common problem. BTW the monitor is nearly 20 years old.

Anyhow I uploaded to imgur, thanks to the other poster for suggesting it.

Here's my images on imgur:

https://imgur.com/a/f3E5aGB

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

You know what it looks like to me?

Back when all TVs had analog everything, when you adjusted the horizontal image, it would start making lines at the top or bottom of the screen, depending on which direction you turned it to far. It looks like the digital chip that performs that function automatically is failing. Hopefully it's just a loose solder joint to the chip. You'll have to look up the board for your specific model, to determine what chip performs that function.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One pyroesp's Avatar

20 year old CRT? Open it up and check for bulging capacitors.

looks like digital circuit problem...no fun. yeah, I think it might be related to Horizontal Sync clock, but dont quote me on that. Start by searching for the model numbers service manual online.

H-Sync! That's the word I was looking for. I haven't really messed with repairing a television since the 80s, except for replacing the capacitors to the PSU in my 2009 LCD television.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One pyroesp's Avatar

As segasonicfan mentioned, you might have H-sync issues, but those issues can be due to bad caps not working properly and not filtering power rails or other as well as they used to.

Thanks guys, I will eventually crack it open and look for bad caps. However at the moment, the monitor is working perfectly. I don't know if this makes sense but I can't help wondering if the problem was from a strange form of interference with my iMac sitting next to it, and almost touching the edge of the CRT monitor. I moved them apart and all is well, or maybe it's just random when the monitor goes crazy lol.

Also it seems that the giant plant on top of the monitor, needed to be readjusted, because it seems that its weight was making the screen glitch out like that. Now it has a better placement so the weight is more even, apparently, and the display works.

Thanks guys, I will eventually crack it open and look for bad caps. However at the moment, the monitor is working perfectly. I don't know if this makes sense but I can't help wondering if the problem was from a strange form of interference with my iMac sitting next to it, and almost touching the edge of the CRT monitor. I moved them apart and all is well, or maybe it's just random when the monitor goes crazy lol.
    A loose solder joint can make that happen.

Thread Information