Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M2 Talks About The Long Process Of How Virtua Racing Ended Up On The Nintendo Switch

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yeah, I'd say it's quite an improvement. It looks like it's using an all new engine that eliminates the pop up, has anti-aliasing and a further draw distance. It looks pretty nice!
    I got the impression that it wasn't all new (they tracked down Virtua Formula's code after all), but they had certainly modified it. Well, and changing it to use the Switch's hardware instead of Model 1's (which is also why they increased the draw distance, the hardware was up to it now :​P).

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I haven't played the game in the arcade in over 2 decades. I have played it on MAME though. It's pretty damned smooth, even if there is a strange hitch that usually happens about once per race.

I have the Sega Classics collection on PS2. It was the 1st time that I thought that I had a home conversion of the game that was on-par with the arcade game. The pop-up is still there, while it appears that the Switch version has been built from the ground up and has improvements.

I think VR like OutRun in the arcade and Sonic Adv on the DC fooled a lot of people in to thinking they were 60fps games .I used to think it was 60 fps until I saw a interview with UK Suzuki and then many years latter, when I got SEGA classic collection on the PS2 and played the Arcade version, the difference was huge .

Here's one of the interviews with M2

https://nintendoeverything.com/sega-...racing-to-3ds/
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Yeah, I'd have never guessed that it was a 30fps racer, because it felt so smooth. Most of the racing games on the 32-bit consoles felt slower and a bit choppy. It's a pretty good update of the game for the Switch library, that's for sure.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I got the impression that it wasn't all new (they tracked down Virtua Formula's code after all), but they had certainly modified it. Well, and changing it to use the Switch's hardware instead of Model 1's (which is also why they increased the draw distance, the hardware was up to it now :​P).
    They did something to it. There's not a single bit of popup in the game, while even the PS2 version has popup in the same areas as the MAME version. The dithering used for the shadow under the car and when there is a cloud of smoke has been updated to true transparency as well.
    Last edited by gamevet; 04-27-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

DF Retro: Virtua Racing Switch vs Every Console Port vs Model 1 Arcade!

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I'm excited for this now even tho I never played it. Looks nice and music is a big selling factor for me ona game and I hear that wonderful cheery SEGA music. SEGA was just the best at that.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thread Information