Quantcast

Thread: Virtual Hydlide

Saturn Virtual Hydlide

The U.S. Saturn suffered early on due to a lack of RPGs, and one of the first released was Virtual Hydlide. The game was a noble attempt at bringing a 3D environment to the genre, but it sacrificed everything the Hydlide series had built up over the years. The result was an adventure better left to rot in a dungeon. Read our full review for more details.

Outrunner

Unfortunately I agree with the review. BUT for some reason, I like this game! I do prefer Super Hydlide though. I remember the first picture of the game in the magazines back in the day... that looked so modern, and Virtual!

Master of Shinobi

Totally agree with the review: it sucks. It's basically a remake of the first and worst game in a series that had already dated awfully in the few short years since the original releases. Even though it was released a couple of years later than the computer versions, even Super Hydlide was at its heart a game that was contemporary with the first Phantasy Star, and it showed.

Virtual Hydlide should have been a complete reimagining of the concept that integrated the improvements in gameplay and storylines that RPGs had experienced since the '80s. Instead what we got was tired, very superficial, early '80s style RPG gameplay grafted to a random world generator and "cutting edge" 3D graphics. Boring gameplay, no characters to talk to, no real storyline, and no real replay value even with the random world generator.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Like Nightwolf, I can't really argue with the review or any of the criticisms of Virtual Hydlide...but the funny thing is, I enjoyed it!

It's a goofy, misconceived game whose technical shortcomings and serious design flaws somehow didn't keep it from being fun (for me). It's basically a very restricted roguelike at heart, and these days I prefer the roguelike model to the JRPG model (even if Virtual Hydlide is barely an RPG to begin with).

I also tend to like scaling sprites more than polygons, so there's that. And I enjoy how aesthetically weird the game is, even if some of that weirdness crosses the line into incompetence, as with the hero's sprite.

I think Virtual Hydlide might actually be the gaming equivalent of a trashy movie - cheap and badly made in almost every Form and fashion, but it just comes together in such a way that it's still kind of entertainment... if you can stand enduring it for longer than a few minutes (and to be honest, I hardly could).

When I saw the character sprite wearing the Fairy Armor for the first time, I just lost it. It just looked so ridiculous, and I could only imagine what the production must have been like ("Here, put this on, it is a mighty suit of protection - yes I know it looks like cheap plastic held together by blue tack, but that was all that fit into our Budget!")
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I think that's a good comparison: it's a trashy movie that's enjoyable to watch because it moves quickly. That's one really nice thing about Virtual Hydlide: how many RPGs can you easily speedrun in under 2 hours without abusing glitches?

Lord of the Obscure Wildside Expert LordGeo's Avatar

Virtual Hydlide is truly a bizarre title, one that isn't good by any stretch of the imagination, yet there's a feeling that you want to keep playing, if only to see what else it tries to do. I once tried giving it a proper playthrough, but stopped at the final dungeon, simply because it became a mind-numbing chore by that point.

That said, I will always hold some modicum of respect for Virtual Hydlide, simply because it's easy to see that T&E Soft literally made an action RPG out of the golf game engine it was using at the time. No, seriously, look at the golf games T&E were making at the same time, & you'll notice plenty of graphical & presentation similarities between the two.

Thread Information