Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miracle Warriors lost all save files with new Battery

OK, I finally got the part (small transistor) and I have installed it.

I first removed the old battery, soldered in the small transistor and then soldered in another new battery.

Same result; the battery will drain very fast. This time I noticed that the battery was hot to the touch.

I've attached some pictures so you can see the part and my soldering work.

Maybe it's just time to buy a new Miracles Warrior Cart?

2ndAttempt01_Highlight(sm).jpg

CN28
    KR1171SP28 = PST529 IC
    Microcip voltage-lowering 2.8V USSR

2ndAttempt02_Highlight(sm).jpg
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

the battery should never get hot. Are you sure the IC isn't upside down?
    Aside from that you might try replacing diodes. and testing with a fused 3.6V source (bench supply) or adding a fuse to the battery.

The only other thing that would explain this is if the RESET line was bad. Measure for a direct short to GND or +5V on pin 3 of the PST529

Bummer that IC wasnt an easy fix, I was hoping. As far as ordering a new game goes, that's almost always a better option with repairs like this. These are more for the learning experience, not so much for saving money. You're always welcome to donate the cart to me, I could try to fix it and post info for people.

EDIT: Found the datasheet for the obscure replacement part. I had to go through some sketchy Russian sites to find it, although it's not very useful it does say that the RESET voltage is 2.8V instead of the PST529C 4.5V. so it's not actually a 100% drop in replacement, although it should be good enough to change the logic state. KP1171CN47 is a closer drop-in.

EDIT2: uploader says PDF size limit is 97kb? what gives? well you can get it here too:
    http://ipelectron.ru/download/782b1f...de807b8e28.pdf
    Last edited by segasonicfan; 06-09-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    the battery should never get hot. Are you sure the IC isn't upside down?

Aside from that you might try replacing diodes. and testing with a fused 3.6V source (bench supply) or adding a fuse to the battery.

The only other thing that would explain this is if the RESET line was bad. Measure for a direct short to GND or +5V on pin 3 of the PST529

Bummer that IC wasnt an easy fix, I was hoping. As far as ordering a new game goes, that's almost always a better option with repairs like this. These are more for the learning experience, not so much for saving money. You're always welcome to donate the cart to me, I could try to fix it and post info for people.

EDIT: Found the datasheet for the obscure replacement part. I had to go through some sketchy Russian sites to find it, although it's not very useful it does say that the RESET voltage is 2.8V instead of the PST529C 4.5V. so it's not actually a 100% drop in replacement, although it should be good enough to change the logic state. KP1171CN47 is a closer drop-in.

EDIT2: uploader says PDF size limit is 97kb? what gives? well you can get it here too:
    http://ipelectron.ru/download/782b1f...de807b8e28.pdf
    Yeah, it's too bad this wasn't an easy fix. But I don't mind making the attempt. And I still appreciate the help.

The battery was without question hot. How can I tell which way around the to install the transistor? The original has a flat face and a rounded back. Same with the replacement, so I installed the new based on the orientation of it's shape compared to the old.

Hmm, I don't know how to measure for a direct short to GND. And my knowledge on this stuff is so limited I know I'd have trouble figuring out how to buy correct diode replacements.

And I do like the idea of donating the cart to you so you can repair it and share your findings. That would be great.

Anyone have a loose Miracle Warriors cart for sale?
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    How can I tell which way around the to install the transistor? The original has a flat face and a rounded back. Same with the replacement, so I installed the new based on the orientation of it's shape compared to the old.
    Always check the pinouts on the datasheets when installing replacement ICs. The orientation itself does not matter; the pinout does.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    Yeah, it's too bad this wasn't an easy fix. But I don't mind making the attempt. And I still appreciate the help.

The battery was without question hot. How can I tell which way around the to install the transistor? The original has a flat face and a rounded back. Same with the replacement, so I installed the new based on the orientation of it's shape compared to the old.

Hmm, I don't know how to measure for a direct short to GND. And my knowledge on this stuff is so limited I know I'd have trouble figuring out how to buy correct diode replacements.

And I do like the idea of donating the cart to you so you can repair it and share your findings. That would be great.

Anyone have a loose Miracle Warriors cart for sale?

Honestly, at this point it would make sense to donate the cart to someone (doesnt have to be me) thats good with tech know-how. Its getting more complex than expected.

The issue with the pinout is that the knockoff Russian IC doesnt give the pinout in the elusive datasheet (attached, see above). However, judging from the info that is there we know that the eBay auction description was lying, and this is not in fact a direct replacement IC. Not exactly a good sign...I'm just working off the assumption that the pinout is the same, but we have no way of knowing for sure.

The transistor is a PST529F, that's a bit different from the nebulous 'PST529' that that eBay auction claimed the USSR-made part replaced. In fact there *is* no 'PST529', it's PST529C/D/E/F/G/etc, and the letters all mean different threshold voltages.

https://console5.com/techwiki/images/a/a2/PST529C.pdf

The PST529F has a threshold voltage of 3.6 volts, whereas the PST529C's is 4.5v. The USSR-made part's threshold is 2.8 volts, way too low anyway. (And sadly there doesn't seem to be a 3.6 volt equivalent either.)

According to the Russian part's datasheet:

"назначение выводов: 1 - выход; 2 - общий; З - вход (для огытных образцов: 1 - общий; 2 - выход; 3 - вход)"

Using Google Translate, pin 1 would be output, pin 2 common, pin 3 input. (Although an alternate version - someone who can read Russian please help me with this - indicates pin 1 is common, pin 2 is output, pin 3 is input.) My question is, which side of the transistor is pin 1?

On the PST529F pin 1 is input/Vcc, pin 2 is GND and pin 3 is output.

Sadly the PST529F seems to be a bit uncommon these days. You might have a better chance of pulling one from a game with save memory that you don't really care about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-X-PST5...kAAOSwMSlcuikT
    On the other hand there is this, but I honestly can't say if this is legit / the right part (I can't see the actual transistors in the tape...)
    Last edited by Eep386; 06-28-2019 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Added link to the Chinese ebay listing for the PST529F

Quote Originally Posted by Eep386 View Post
    According to the Russian part's datasheet:

"назначение выводов: 1 - выход; 2 - общий; З - вход (для огытных образцов: 1 - общий; 2 - выход; 3 - вход)"

Using Google Translate, pin 1 would be output, pin 2 common, pin 3 input. (Although an alternate version - someone who can read Russian please help me with this - indicates pin 1 is common, pin 2 is output, pin 3 is input.) My question is, which side of the transistor is pin 1?
    I can read Russian, you're right. I have no idea what огытных means.

Thread Information