Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenseiden

Master System Kenseiden

The Master System saw its fair share of sword-slinging action, and one game that many have overlooked is Kenseiden. Though not perfect (and quite challenging), the game is worth spending some time with. Great visuals and a variety of levels are sometimes overshadowed by the stiff gameplay, but there's fun to be had. Read our full review for more details.

These states usually consist of dodging flying arrows
    Should be "stages".

I was first exposed to Kenseiden by Sega's VHS tapes that they would send out. It made me want it so I got it and loved it. I love pretty much everything about it and could beat it on a whim back in the day. These days I forget which stages are what on the map so I don't go in the proper order. I loved the clank sound of the sword and I always loved the music too. I loved that sometimes enemies would fly by that you couldn't kill and they can't touch you, they're just there to scare you. I was also surprised at how decent the FM soundtrack sounded when I finally heard it. One of the few games that I can listen to either the PSG or FM and be happy. Great game. 7.5 or 8.1 out of 10.219

6? What´s happening to reviewers from Sega-16?
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

seems to take most of its inspiration from Ninja Gaiden and Shinobi,
    Kenseiden predates Ninja Gaiden.

Quote Originally Posted by segarule View Post
    6? What´s happening to reviewers from Sega-16?
    I often dread SMS reviews here. Kenseiden's an absolute classic.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Alongside Rastan Saga, one of the strongest side-scrolling action games on the system. 6 seems a bit low for sure.

I'd give it a 8, personally.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Centrale's Avatar

I have to disagree with the statement that the soundtrack is repetitive. There are different themes for the stages, map screens, boss battles, training sequences... it's a pretty elaborate and varied soundtrack, especially for a 1988 release. There's also quite clever use of ambient sound effects, such as when approaching or departing from a waterfall.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centrale
    There's also quite clever use of ambient sound effects, such as when approaching or departing from a waterfall.
    This impressed me at the time. The game is full of many details like that, things we would take for granted in games today but 30 years ago were a notch above most of the industry. Very few action games even had proper defensive moves at all back then let alone the variety of offensive moves.

The complaints about "cheap deaths" in the review seem unfair. Kenseiden's challenges are all beatable without dying if you're good enough. It's a difficult game that requires learning the patterns and practicing timing but how is that different than most other 8-bit games?
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 05-03-2019 at 07:05 PM.

when approaching or departing from a waterfall
    I totally agree with this. Who knows Sega-16 open one day a "Score members" for comparison with these reviews?
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Kenseiden predates Ninja Gaiden.

I often dread SMS reviews here. Kenseiden's an absolute classic.
    I dread mostly Jackson's reviews here. But personally, I think it's harder to talk 8-bit games and below and give a take on it. I went through the first Zelda on NES last month. It's a 7 for me, and I think there are other games for that system that deserve the moniker for best NES game ever. You never know what you're going to get from others, although Jackson can be a bit predictable.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by segarule View Post
    I totally agree with this. Who knows Sega-16 open one day a "Score members" for comparison with these reviews?
    In the pre-hack days, I think we had that here. But perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me. Regardless, everyone's free to chime in on the forum, so not much difference anyway.

Also, Kenseiden is an excellent game. I agree that 6 is too low.

Kenseiden is 8-bit platform at its best. Everything about the game is excellent, easily a 9 or 10 from me. Even more power to it if it indeed predates Ninja Gaiden (and a due correction should be made on the article).

I apologize for the Ninja gaiden comment the review was written many years ago and all I did was polish it up and put the finishing touches on it recently. other than a couple of flaws that I pointed out this is an excellent game. I just think those couple of flaws really hurt the game and break up the flow and make it tedious. Nothing is worse then getting so far into the game and knocked into a pit from one hit by an enemy. Without those couple of issues this game would easily be an 8 to a 9 for me. As it stands it's a really playable game but you need to bring a lot of patience to the table for.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I just think those couple of flaws really hurt the game and break up the flow and make it tedious. Nothing is worse then getting so far into the game and knocked into a pit from one hit by an enemy. Without those couple of issues this game would easily be an 8 to a 9 for me. As it stands it's a really playable game but you need to bring a lot of patience to the table for.
    You just described NES Ninja Gaiden. Except for the whole 'if your sword touches and enemy, they take no damage but you get hit instead'.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Ninja Gaiden offers infinite continues, this game only three lives. Though there are only a few areas like that in this game it really throws the game off for me.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Thread Information