Quantcast

Thread: [NX Gamer] Sega Mega CD: Spinning the CD revolution

Sega CD [NX Gamer] Sega Mega CD: Spinning the CD revolution

Part 1: The Hardware

Part 2: The Best & Worst games of the CD beast

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quite an in-depth break down of the hardware, very interesting.

Great videos! I always had strange affinity for the Sega CD mainly because it was the one console I completely missed out on during it's lifespan. I saved up and bought the Genesis mowing lawns during the summer, and by the time I managed to save up to buy the Sega CD there was rumors of the Saturn coming out soon so I decided to wait and save up for the Saturn. I ended up getting the Saturn on day one, but I always loved playing the Sega CD when one of my friends had it.
    Toys: PS4, Xbox ONE,Retron 5,PS3 Slim 250GB, WiiU, PSVita, 3DS, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, PSP, DS Lite.

Movie Setup: Samsung UN55H7150, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Boxee, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Subbed! Thanks for posting.

Outrunner

Really enjoyed the videos, thanks for posting. Given the limitations of the hardware it was very impressive what some developers were able to do.

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

great videos and thanks for posting..
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Great upload! Very interesting and well presented video. Thanks for sharing!

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Brilliant videos and agree with most of the comments in the video. If only more games made use of the ASIC chip and if only SEGA Japan made more of use of the system and ported the likes of Space Harrier, AB II, GF II, Outrun, Super Hang-On to it.
    Things could have been so much different.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Brilliant videos and agree with most of the comments in the video. If only more games made use of the ASIC chip and if only SEGA Japan made more of use of the system and ported the likes of Space Harrier, AB II, GF II, Outrun, Super Hang-On to it.
    Things could have been so much different.
    Perhaps, but at least we got arcade perfect ports of Space Harrier, Afterburner and Outrun later on the Saturn in the form of the excellent Sega Ages compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Perhaps, but at least we got arcade perfect ports of Space Harrier, Afterburner and Outrun later on the Saturn in the form of the excellent Sega Ages compilation.
    SEGA Japan was utter tosh on the Mega CD, they barely used the system or its fantastic hardware (bar say for about 3 titles). It's really pathetic that a tiny 5 man team inside CORE Design used the Hardware better than the might of SEGA Japan consumer division, it's shameful and I will never forgive SOJ for dropping PS IV on the system too (which was also set to bring back the FPS dungeons using the ASIC chip and feature nearly an hour of FMV . Its to SEGA America credit that they actually made a go at the system and made it worth owning and were also the ones to really use the ASIC chip 1st (for a whole section of a game) with Batman Returns

Just a shame SOA got a little carried away with the FMV fad, and spent way too much money and effort on that route, rather than getting the likes of CORE and John O'Brien to work their magic on the system or look to step in to publish the likes of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (when Lucas dropped the planned Mega CD version) or even just enhance more Mega Drive games with better music and sound. I would have loved to see a reworked Strider and Ghost N Ghouls on the Mega CD, with all the Arcade's games speech and cut scenes and re-arranged music and I was always gutted that the PC Eng got John Madden on the CD and we never got it on the Mega CD

So much more could have been done with the Mega CD, SEGA Japan really let the system down BIG time
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

The Mega CD arrived with some pretty lukewarm software, that and the high price tag and few people were going to bite.

They needed a handful of key titles out the gate that would have made it much harder to resist on release, a couple of big-name sequels like a CD Shinobi with all original content exclusive to the machine, and some sort of scaler game using the ASIC that would have made it clear early on that the machine offered a significant performance boost over the stock console.

I believe SOJ were positioning Mega CD as a platform for more 'cerebral' games as RPGs/strategy stuff seemed like a logical fit for CD-ROM technology at the time. Still need core action games - impressive ones - as the bread and butter though.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

The US software launch was pretty good, it was sold out consistently for quite awhile. I also remember hearing about people buying them to use as part of their stereo system since it played CDs as well. That's what I did too once I finally bought one.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    The US software launch was pretty good, it was sold out consistently for quite awhile. I also remember hearing about people buying them to use as part of their stereo system since it played CDs as well. That's what I did too once I finally bought one.
    I remember Mega (UK SEGA mag) saying the SEGA CD was completely sold out and even in the run-up to easter 93 in the USA, the stock was hard to get hold of. SEGA America did such a good job to push and market the system. It just a shame they got carried with the FMV fad too much (even if I enjoyed those games) And yeah I loved the fact that I could play CD music CD's on my Mega CD. The only trouble was back in 1991 no shops in my area actually stocked CD albums lol. I had to go to Cardiff and even then only a select few shops stocked CD's (it was still all tapes and vinyl) The 1st music CD I got was Listen Without Prejudice, I wasn't a fan of George Michael per say, but it was the only music CD I could find lol. It turned out though the Alumb was ace
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information