Quantcast

Thread: Does the Sega 32X clean up sound like it cleans up video?

Sports Talker

Default Does the Sega 32X clean up sound like it cleans up video?

I've read that the 32X can clean up the video signal coming from model 1 and 2 Genesis. Does it clean up sound as well?

I ask because I'm reluctantly switching back to a model 1 and am considering purchasing one of those patch cables which mixes the headphone jack's (HJ) stereo audio with the AV-out from the back of the model 1 as it connects to the AV-in on the 32X. The HJ has a lot of noise.

The cable I am considering is this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173869765624

Another one recommended by retrorgb.com is this one: https://retro-access.com/products/se...ptor-us-seller

Anyone have experience with either of these? Tin connectors usually cause crackling if a plug jostles, so the second cable looks better, but that's only because the connectors look gold. I have no idea if they are or not.

Also, if I ran the stereo from the HJ directly to the TV, not mixing it with the 32X, are there any sounds that aren't played?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

No affect on sound. If anything, it might actually add tiny amounts of noise.

Also, if I ran the stereo from the HJ directly to the TV, not mixing it with the 32X, are there any sounds that aren't played?
    The 32x sound (when playing 32x games that support it) is mixed internally with the Genesis audio. You can use the headphone jack like normal. Those special cables you linked to are to get stereo out the AV plugs, since the model 1 normally only does mono through AV. You'll get the same effect by running the headphone jack to your TV.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Sports Talker

Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    No affect on sound. If anything, it might actually add tiny amounts of noise.

Is there any way to clean up the stereo sound you can get from the model 1 Genesis?

Quote Originally Posted by y9784 View Post
    Thank you for the info.

Is there any way to clean up the stereo sound you can get from the model 1 Genesis?
    Depends on what you mean specifically by "clean up". The most common thing is a "Mega Amp" mod. It will do wonders for late model 1's, but isn't really needed for the earlier ones with good sound. I did this on one of my model 2's and it's the best. You'll need a few extra parts to get it working with the model 1 headphone jack if you want to actually drive headphones. Might be fine as a line out though.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-audio-circuit

The YM2612 makes a bit of DAC noise normally. It's hard to describe, but it's like a steady buzz that follows and matches every note. No getting away from it, other than replacing it with a YM3438, which has a lot less of this noise. Late revision model 1s and most model 2s have the YM3428, but have terrible audio circuits. That's where the Mega Amp comes in.

If you want to get rid of electrical noise, you could maybe do the Mega Amp mod, and put the Mega Amp circuit board in a metal case within the console. Like an Altoids tin with the wires leading out. I don't know how effective this would be though.
    Modded consoles:
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    32X with s-video

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    If you want to get rid of electrical noise, you could maybe do the Mega Amp mod, and put the Mega Amp circuit board in a metal case within the console. Like an Altoids tin with the wires leading out. I don't know how effective this would be though.
    I've been interested in the Mega Amp for a while, but the project looks daunting for an amateur. I think I remember seeing pictures of a daughter board that just needs wires soldered to the Genesis MB. Maybe it was in my imagination. If I did do the Mega Amp mod, I would rather mod a Model 2 revision, possibly VA3, but I am unsure of its compatibility with some 32X games.

Since I have you on the line here, would this cable be appropriate to use with the model 1? https://www.ebay.com/itm/273580059256
    I read recently that some of these patch / link cables for the 32X are not grounding correctly (or something like that) and are damaging Genesis and 32X.

I only have the original / official Sega model 2 link cable and not the extra dongle for model 1. I found a seller on ebay that has it for $30. That seems excessive, but I understand because of the rarity.

I've been interested in the Mega Amp for a while, but the project looks daunting for an amateur. I think I remember seeing pictures of a daughter board that just needs wires soldered to the Genesis MB. Maybe it was in my imagination. If I did do the Mega Amp mod, I would rather mod a Model 2 revision, possibly VA3, but I am unsure of its compatibility with some 32X games.
    Yes, the mega amp is a little daughter board. You have to remove some components in the genesis circuit board, which cuts out the stock sound circuit. The mega amp is then wired in it's place. The mod job isn't too hard, but I probably wouldn't recommend for a beginner.

Since I have you on the line here, would this cable be appropriate to use with the model 1? https://www.ebay.com/itm/273580059256
    I read recently that some of these patch / link cables for the 32X are not grounding correctly (or something like that) and are damaging Genesis and 32X.
    That cable looks correct. I don't know of any grounding issues, or damage to consoles. I thankfully have two of the original cables and adapters and haven't used any replacement cables. Maybe you could just check the continuity of all the pins on the cable to make sure they're not damaged or working intermittently.

I only have the original / official Sega model 2 link cable and not the extra dongle for model 1. I found a seller on ebay that has it for $30. That seems excessive, but I understand because of the rarity.
    Yeah, they're hard to come by. A lot of people that bought the 32x had the model 2 and just threw out the adapter. I would think modern replacement cables would be fine, but I haven't read anything about them causing damage before.
    Modded consoles:
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    32X with s-video

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quality shielded cables make a huge difference in reducing audio and video noise on the Genesis, so try and refrain from cheap Chinese cables that only cost a few dollars. I've been able to reduce audio noise just from good cables, but there can also be other issues if you have a late model 1 va7 revision, or a model 1 with capacitors that are drying up. So many things to consider, but all the advice from ComradeOj is really good and important to consider as you search for your solution.

Sports Talker

I connected the 32X to the model 1 today. I can't hear any noise when I connect the HJ to the TV. My guess is that my headphones are more sensitive than my TV's speakers--at least, at the volume I set. Maybe if I had a high end speaker bar or sound system, that noise will become apparent, but I can't hear it.

I'm using a thick 1/8" to RCA stereo Radioshack-branded cable with gold-plated tips. I'm actually surprised by the 32x cable I bought from that seller. It's pretty thick and includes a ferrite bead as well. I'm surprised because I don't believe there are any manufacturers mass-producing quality model 2 / 3 composite cables. Doing a search on ebay or Amazon for Genesis composite yields flimsy cables with weak stereo. The cables are so bad, you would believe that the cables only send one channel if you didn't bump up the volume (at that point, the good channel is too loud).

It's sad because Genesis newcomers will believe that the system has bad audio out. It also gives a poor impression games designed with stereo sound in mind like Sonic where each ring grab alternates left, right, left, etc.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Yeah, all the composite cables are garbage and don't output stereo. It the left channel and then the mono channel, so more like dual mono. Further they are noisy - although harder to see it as much over crappy composite, but still noticeable and even more so on units with better video encoders such as the Genesis 3 - although that Genesis doesn't have stereo without modification, so the mono part doesn't matter that much anyway. It sucks there is so much garbage out there for the newcomer, but then I also think that may have even been the same from the tail end of the Gen X'er's that grew up with the Genesis because Sega moved to crappy circuits in late model one's, model 2's, then changing the sound chip, then changing video encoders and so on. SNES vs. Genesis might have been a little different if all Genesis systems were created equally and especially if people knew about RGB and the higher output resolution of the Genesis - despite it's smaller color palette. People will always debate the sound, but a clean sounding Genesis in the right hands with it's FM chip is pretty bad ass and I just love the chip tunes. The SNES with it's sound samples was just different, new at the time and it sounded great, but sometimes you just need that little bass-y grit from the Genesis and the best of both worlds (mixing the FM and sampled tunes) can be heard in certain games that used the 32X attachment like Chaotix, and the Sega CD with Sonic CD.

Those old Radio Shack cables are pretty awesome. I've got a few sets and they run pretty clean signals. As I've connected my Genesis systems to amplified sound systems and quality headphones, you start to notice all those little things to where quality cables and working components make all the difference.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

Do you have a Sega CD? The Sega CD does to some filtering and in my experience when using a Model 1 Genesis the RCA jack output on the Sega CD is much cleaner than the headphone jack output on the Genesis, and you also don't have to worry as much about if you're using high quality shielded video cables since the audio is entirely separate anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

I use the headphone Jack from the model 1 on volume 7, run it to the SCD, and out into a receiver. There is some humming coming from my rgb scart cable (shielded) that leak to the tv speakers, but no sound otherwise. So I mute the tv and let the sound out the back of the SCD. Itís the best Iíve ever heard it.

Thread Information