Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Saturn vs. PlayStation tech - Question

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Thanks for the answers folks, I had no idea about all that. Man, surround sound really confuses me, there are so many variants! So if I were to hook up a console set via a SCART combiner (GSCARTSw) to a surround sound media receiver via an upscaler like the OSSC, would the receiver just 'do the maths' and put the sound through the correct speakers, for each console?

Plug and play would be nice, as I'm planning to eventually have a 5 / 7:1 setup.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The older consoles would just connect via RCA and would run in Pro-Logic. Pro-Logic would do simulated surround for any of the older consoles that arenít putting out surround sound. The newer stuff would use DTS through HDMI or optical.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

It's worth pointing out that any surround activity coming from a soundtrack without surround encoding are just artefacts. There's no real intent behind it, and personally I leave my receiver on dual stereo for my consoles that aren't outputting surround tracks (Mega Drive, etc).

There is the possibility that there could be red book soundtracks that are surround encoded but not advertised as such, but I don't really know if that happened.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Man, even more confusing! But still helpful, thank you.

How would it be best to proceed with a setup then? Anything HDMI is straightforward, but anything analogue is still a bit confusing; above all I want to be in complete control... would I be able to tell my receiver to output only stereo where I had the choice of two options?

Or would the system just decide to put out the simulated surround wherever it finds it, outputting stereo in its absence?

Anything that isnít Digital surround will default to Pro-Logic. Yeah, all sources can be set to 2 speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    It's worth pointing out that any surround activity coming from a soundtrack without surround encoding are just artefacts. There's no real intent behind it, and personally I leave my receiver on dual stereo for my consoles that aren't outputting surround tracks (Mega Drive, etc).

There is the possibility that there could be red book soundtracks that are surround encoded but not advertised as such, but I don't really know if that happened.
    Iím not sure if any of them output the music in surround. Itís more about the sound effects. Star Fox has that cool intro where the ship comes at the screen and then you can hear it trail off behind you.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

It's been forever since I've had the Saturn connected to the surround sound setup, which is in the living room. I was surprised at just how good it looked on the 52" LCD. I was expecting a lot of artifacts, but with component video the image is sharp and clean. I do miss my old Pro-Logic 1 setup though. It sounds so much better than this (DTS 5.1) PL2 receiver, which doesn't push the bass anywhere near the older unit.

Last edited by gamevet; 05-16-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Thanks for the answers folks, I had no idea about all that. .
    Because of Scart and the way my TV (in 1995) handled the Japanese NTSC signal (mean I had to use Scart for my import systems, that changed when i got my new TV in 1996) I had to use Scart for my Japanese Saturn, but given the Mega CD had separate audio jacks I could use Scart and also hook it up to Amp and the 1st Surround Sound I heard on a SEGA system was in Fifa on the Mega CD. My 1st real use of Surround sound, where I could hear sound effects happening behind me was with Road Rash on the 3DO, it was around the same time (94) that I had some fun with surround sound on the Snes, with King Arthur's World.

The big sea change came for me when I got an import OG Xbox with HALO and just couldn't believe how amazing 5.1 digital Surround sound was in games; That was great era because some many films were coming on on DVD with 5.1 support too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information