Quantcast

Thread: Epic Sega Genesis Repair (aka Mega Drive was Mega Fried)

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Default Absolutely Epic Sega Genesis Repair (aka Mega Drive was Mega Fried)

I successfully repaired a model 1 Sega Genesis. It's a repair of epic proportions, a tale of triumph and perseverance I wanted to share with you all. Has anyone ever gone to this much work to save a model 1 Genesis?

https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro/repair-logs

(edit: scroll down to see the model 1/genesis repair)

-Segasonicfan
    Last edited by segasonicfan; 05-18-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Very cool read and images, as I'm a SEGA fan who's also not a big techie.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen that deluxe machine before.

Pls remind me: Besides Genesis/MD carts, and Sega CD's: What else does it play? (I mean, what exactly is the Laser Disc part? Are those... arcade games, on LD? And does it play Laser Disc movies too?)

Also what are the "PAC"'s that you mentioned?

IDK if these are dumb questions but I'm sure I'm not the only one who is unfamiliar with this beautiful looking machine lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Very cool read and images, as I'm a SEGA fan who's also not a big techie.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen that deluxe machine before.

Pls remind me: Besides Genesis/MD carts, and Sega CD's: What else does it play? (I mean, what exactly is the Laser Disc part? Are those... arcade games, on LD? And does it play Laser Disc movies too?)

Also what are the "PAC"'s that you mentioned?

IDK if these are dumb questions but I'm sure I'm not the only one who is unfamiliar with this beautiful looking machine lol.
    ah you were looking at my old Laseractive repair. The Genesis 1 repair is on the bottom (scroll down)

but yeah, Laseractives play Laserdisc movies and LD games made just for the system! (the games however, are not very noteworthy).
    The "PACs" are add-ons to play different things (Sega Genesis, Turbo Grafx, Kareoke, etc).
    Last edited by segasonicfan; 05-20-2019 at 05:48 AM.

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    I successfully repaired a model 1 Sega Genesis. It's a repair of epic proportions, a tale of triumph and perseverance I wanted to share with you all. Has anyone ever gone to this much work to save a model 1 Genesis?

https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro/repair-logs

(edit: scroll down to see the model 1/genesis repair)

-Segasonicfan
    Great website.
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Good job with that VA7! That was truly a daunting task.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I love the site! I didn't know you had one until now.

Great job on the repair. Is there a reason that you decided to fix it up rather than keep picking parts from it for other systems? Was it just for a fun challenge?
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! It inspires me to make more repair logs like this I plan to do a super detailed Sega CDX one next.

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    Is there a reason that you decided to fix it up rather than keep picking parts from it for other systems? Was it just for a fun challenge?
    Good question. There were a bunch of reasons why I decided to do the repair:

1. The parts I'd previously salvaged were no longer valuable to me (I fixed the Neo Geo with other better SRAM, fixed / modded the RF CRT, and never needed the volume pot or chroma encoder - hence they sat around so long)

2. I fix stuff all the darn time and cannot stand it if something is broken by my own hands. It's actually extremely rare these days, I have a track record of 95%+ of doing repairs nowadays. So this one was a thorn in my side every time I looked into my scrap bin...

3. I love a good challenge (especially if it's not for a customer "on the clock"). I always say it's the hardest repairs that I learn the most from, and this one continued to prove that rule. I can clean 50 cart slots and fix 100 broken traces but that won't teach me much about how the Genesis hardware really works and how to develop a fullproof repair method for every system I come across in the future.

4. I try to be ecologically mindful. When things don't get fixed, they end up in landfill. Especially electronics. I feel like repair people have a special gift that is really unique. We can take destroyed garbage and make it useful again - it's a great feeling !

5. This was a friends system (not my own), so there was also a bit of pride in telling him I fixed his childhood system ;P

6. I'm totally nuts? haha

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One pyroesp's Avatar

Did the same thing with a Sega Mega-CD that sat in a corner for a year or 2, although it wasn't used for salvage parts.
    Couldn't get it to work the first days I tried and gave up. Later I managed to fix it and gave it to my brother who has a mega drive as a birthday gift (wrote about it too on my github page :P).

Great read, interesting clock chip fix! Awesome scope, I have the same but the model with the logic analyzer built-in .
    If I had to nitpick at the post then the only thing I see is hertz being shortened to hz instead of Hz :P.

Quote Originally Posted by pyroesp View Post
    If I had to nitpick at the post then the only thing I see is hertz being shortened to hz instead of Hz :P.
    that is literally the best criticism I have ever received!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training 3edd's Avatar

Wow, that`s trully epic. I personaly have some boards in the closet for spare parts but those have their asic chips fried.
    Not that long ago I finaly managed to repair a MultiMega with a complete dead cd part which also was laying in the closet for years. I achieved this by tracking down and replacing a bad LB8108 driver ic.

Thread Information