Quantcast

Thread: Sega CDX love letter and repair story

Sports Talker

X'Eye Sega CDX love letter and repair story

I love these units, they are amazing devices and a lesson on miniaturization. I made it a goal, several years ago, to buy and repair a few Sega CDX units as I found them reasonably priced-and broken-through online retailers. It became expensive quickly and my repairs did not hold out. In the end I had two units on my desk; one with (now cleaned up) acid damage, and one that was a bit beaten up with an out of spec laser. Taking these units apart is a bit of a hassle and I put things off until this past weekend.

I got both units apart and I got one working and nice one out of the two. It is quite fun to put a 2.1 subwooffer equipped speaker system at my feet as I played Silpheed. Wow! I recommend trying it!

I also still think the orchestrated soundtrack on Shining Force CD is unmatched. I am having so much fun with this working unit.

I had considered cutting my losses and auctioning the acid damaged unit but I am glad I never went through with this idea. It provided essential parts to make the properly working unit and it is a reminder that I can't fix everything. I can see one of the Sega ASIC's has a discolored area across a number of pins near the cartridge slot. I wonder if it could be repaired with solder paste and the "drag" method? I have never attempted this so I am going to let it sit as shelf art until I can work up the courage. It plays single player cartridge games seemingly okay but two player games like Toejam & Earl fail to detect the 2nd controller. In some cases, like Super Street Fighter II, the game locks up at boot. Some CD games boot and some do not; very odd behavior! (I only use original games and discs) I just might hook up a 32X unit to it and see what happens...it might give it a functional role.

Anyhow are there any other Sega CDX super fans here???
    Last edited by ifkz; 05-21-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Always wanted a Sega CDX, thought it had an amazing design! A bit less traditional console-like, more high-end CD player. Never seen one sold as new in stores, just used game shops.

I love the Multi-Mega, It's such a cool looking system and was so small at the time, my only issue is the laser isn't the best and sometimes games skip (while work fine on the Model 2 Mega CD)
    It cost a fortune at the time too and I wish I kept the box but it was damaged (like the Wondermega) . Love the Mega CD tbn. An overlooked and underrated console (add-on)

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Sweet stuff there, TA.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    Sweet stuff there, TA.
    Cheers mate
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

I love this system to pieces, as the Sega-16 folk that know me are well aware ;D I plan to add a CDX page on my website documenting the years of reverse engineering work I've done on it.

I've been making lots of free repair videos for CDX / Multi Mega over here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_KV...6c8awcJTK37iKx

I'm looking for a broken unit
    to fix up the rusted one I've got mostly finished. PM me if anyone wants to trade or sell me one

-SSF

Thread Information