Quantcast

Thread: 2019, the best year for genesis since ‘96!

Wildside Expert

Default 2019, the best year for genesis since ‘96!

This year has a lot going for the old genny!! Mega SG, 8bitdo wireless controllers, official sega licensed controllers by retro bit, official genesis mini by sega, xenocrisis, awesome! Whats next!? Genesis is still kicking ass!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Stifu's Avatar

And don't forget Paprium!

... Just kidding.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Lethal Wedding ought to show up this year

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert BitmapBureau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    This year has a lot going for the old genny!! Mega SG, 8bitdo wireless controllers, official sega licensed controllers by retro bit, official genesis mini by sega, xenocrisis, awesome! Whats next!? Genesis is still kicking ass!
    Thanks PreZZ, nearly there with Xeno Crisis now!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Pha's Avatar

I dicovered the game "Old Tower" this year, in two word : efficient concept (I recommand...).

The hardware is good but more md/gs games is also good.
    Because KEGA Fusion is anything but absurd.

I want Shinobi arcade for Genesis!

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Agreed that this is a big year for Sega fans. It's been great so far, and I'm looking forward the new Mini. I've been enjoying the hell out of my Mega SG, and I like the 8bitdo pads quite a bit. But I'm trying to remember what happened with the Genesis in 96. Was there something significant or do you just mean that as the last year that the Gen was still relevant?

Wildside Expert

Yeah, after 96 genesis was pretty much dead, and cant remember a single decent game that came put after 96, everybody moved on ps1, sat and n64. Finally found a decent priced model1 sega cd amd enjoying it with the mega sg and 8bitdo controllers too!

^ I think The Lost World: Jurassic Park is a great game.

I made a thread similar to this one: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ar!&highlight=
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    ^ I think The Lost World: Jurassic Park is a great game.

I made a thread similar to this one: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ar!&highlight=
    I've never played it, but I do know it does some really impressive stuff with the Mega Drive hardware].

On some spots, it looks like an early 32-bit game instead of a 16-bit one, imo
    Please check out my YouTube channel

I played it back then and was really impressed with it doing things I thought the Mega Drive wasn't capable of doing. I recently purchased it and was equally impressed with it.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

djVECTORman2015#1sunsfan Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I played it back then and was really impressed with it doing things I thought the Mega Drive wasn't capable of doing.
    Example like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2hODbUecqU ?

Yeah, after 96 genesis was pretty much dead, and cant remember a single decent game that came put after 96, [/quote[

I used to still play the sports games that seemed for fluid than snes versions.

[quot]everybody moved on ps1, sat and n64. Finally found a decent priced model1 sega cd amd enjoying it with the mega sg and 8bitdo controllers too!
    SNES became 16 bit king then getting SFAlpha2 while the genesis got Eternal Champion spinoff games like X Perts (was that ever officially released) or VF2 crap that just ruined all parties reputations. I would say mid 1995 to mid 1996 was genesis last shining year in terms of games yes. Everybody seems to forget genesis held nes off with left arm while holding snes with right arm at same time for years staying #1. Yes they forget.
    Last edited by Vector; 05-26-2019 at 05:29 AM.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    SNES became 16 bit king then getting SFAlpha2 while the genesis got Eternal Champion spinoff games like X Perts (was that ever officially released) or VF2 crap that just ruined all parties reputations. I would say mid 1995 to mid 1996 was genesis last shining year in terms of games yes. Everybody seems to forget genesis held nes off with left arm while holding snes with right arm at same time for years staying #1. Yes they forget.
    I don't know about that, SFA2 on the SNES might look good in a screenshot or two but playing it is another story, it's slow and doesn't control that well. The late SNES games that impressed me most were Yoshi's Island and Mario RPG, those really look good especially compared to the early SNES titles. Star Ocean too although I didn't get to play that until much later when the translations became available.

It is a shame we didn't see more late Genesis titles, I think the homebrew scene has shown there was still plenty of life left in the console. The missed potential of the 32X is my biggest disappointment, by 1996 the hardware would have been cheap, the Neptune could easily have been packaged as an entry level system with a huge software library.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

I agree, great year! So far I received Megagames Almanac, Tanglewood, and Tδnzer, which I'm really loving. Xeno Crisis is next and it looks crazy good. And Paprium maybe? Homebrew has reached pro-level status, and we'll see great things in the future. Long live Mega Drive!

2018 was pretty sweet aswell with Tanglewood. Tδnzer is probably the best new Mega Drive game since Gunstar Heroes!

Thread Information