Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Assemblergames forum

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Default RIP Assemblergames forum

https://assemblergames.com/threads/t...30-days.71032/

Assemblergames forum shuts down in 30 days.

Really sucks I loved that place. Without them, Geist Force would have never happened. I used to talk to some good people ages ago. I wish someone could buy them to keep them going.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

dangggg

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Man, I did not expect to see that today. I'm not really an active member, but I know a ton of really great things came out of assemblergames. It's really sad this had to happen.

It seems that money and upkeep costs are the issue going by their post. I hope SEGA-16 doesn't have the same issue in the future. This is one of my favorite places online.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

God damn, I hope some of the members can pull together to save it.

Why are the members so mad at the admin/Kev?

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Wow, that is crazy terrible news. Assembler is one of the number-one databases for technical repair knowledge.

If it does go down, hopefully people will migrate over to GameSX forums. The admin there says he's going to run the servers until cockroaches rule the Earth.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I'm really no expert, and I don't mean any offense to anyone, but as I recall, Kevin (site owner) has some issues that have caused a lot of drama on the forum over the years.

Two or so years ago, he said he was assigning admin rights to the forum to someone else. This new someone (under account name "Admin") started making all kinds of changes. It turned out (as everyone suspected) that it was still just Kevin.

Various people have offered to buy the site from him since he doesn't seem interested in it (he claims to get constant death threats over the site), but he won't take them up on their offers.

This is the thread where he pretended to retire from the site:

https://assemblergames.com/threads/a...-an-end.67144/

More drama:

https://assemblergames.com/threads/s...he-fish.68901/

https://assemblergames.com/threads/s...of-2018.68891/

This is not the first time a shut down was threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    I'm really no expert, and I don't mean any offense to anyone, but as I recall, Kevin (site owner) has some issues that have caused a lot of drama on the forum over the years.

Two or so years ago, he said he was assigning admin rights to the forum to someone else. This new someone (under account name "Admin") started making all kinds of changes. It turned out (as everyone suspected) that it was still just Kevin.

Various people have offered to buy the site from him since he doesn't seem interested in it (he claims to get constant death threats over the site), but he won't take them up on their offers.

This is the thread where he pretended to retire from the site:

https://assemblergames.com/threads/a...-an-end.67144/

More drama:

https://assemblergames.com/threads/s...he-fish.68901/

https://assemblergames.com/threads/s...of-2018.68891/
    Lol holy moly

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    He ran fundraisers regularly to keep the site funded, then when the site had technical issues he took it all offline, claimed he was sick, and spent half a year playing games on Steam while the site was offline. When the site got back up, he kept removing all user permissions; then demoted all moderators, and asked for donations again. Also regularly denied every time anyone offered technical help or better hosting to keep the costs of running the site lower - then called the same people bloodsucking leeches because they used his marketplace forum.
    Before that, he claimed to have sold the site, made a second admin account under a different name, and the under the "new management" he started asking for funds again.

That's just the last year or two.

There was also a detailed article on the ebay scam he was running at one time (the "second chance" trick), I think on byuu's old page, it should be on the wayback machine somewhere.

I'm not entirely sure that this current situation is not just another trick at extorting money out of users.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I don't know about the other stuff but I remember the site being offline forever. At one point I thought for sure it's just gone.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    He ran fundraisers regularly to keep the site funded, then when the site had technical issues he took it all offline, claimed he was sick, and spent half a year playing games on Steam while the site was offline. When the site got back up, he kept removing all user permissions; then demoted all moderators, and asked for donations again. Also regularly denied every time anyone offered technical help or better hosting to keep the costs of running the site lower - then called the same people bloodsucking leeches because they used his marketplace forum.
    He sounds mentally irregular.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Man oh man. Some people are just amusing. Even if the site shuts down, I'm sure there are drones of people backing shit up left and right.
    05/05/15

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I never knew about that site but last year I was disappointed to see the shutdown of Caverns of Hope, a site dedicated to the Ecco games, including downloads and hacks etc.

Also this site (sega-16) ended the Reader Roundtable, very disappointing.

I am wondering if reading-based websites like forums are just dying down in their usage, in general... due to the easy availability of video playing nowadays (so people would rather watch YouTube rather than read something)

(I don't think reading / writing based forums will die out completely, just like books and magazines etc. have never died out completely, but I do think internet usage has hugely shifted away from reading / writing, and shifted toward playing / streaming music / videos etc. as it's become so much easier to do that, over the years.)
    Last edited by Ecco; 05-31-2019 at 07:47 PM.

It's not so much as videos. People transitioned more away from dedicated forums to have a subreddit. Not a big fan of Reddit. Personally, prefer to go back and read posts from long ago often. It's much easier to do that on a forum. I also like having Avatars and sigs and a tighter community. I don't wish to feel like I'm talking to a group of people at a Costco. A smaller and more intimate place to talk is more engaging.

Thread Information