Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Assemblergames forum

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    I am wondering if reading-based websites like forums are just dying down in their usage, in general... due to the easy availability of video playing nowadays (so people would rather watch YouTube rather than read something)
    Forums like these are dying off for several reasons. One is old age: the people generally interested in older games just don't have time to invest in them anymore (having a family, etc), or just not as much interested because they've already seen everything. Another reason is that these types of forums are best enjoyed on a computer, but the internet itself is transitioning away from that to mobile usage; on mobiles, microblogs are more powerful and popular.

It's why newer forum engines like Xenforo prioritize having social media connections, post likes, tagging, and notifications for everything. It's more user friendly today, to get a popup on your mobile after a new reply, than to check an entire forum (which doesn't even fit on your phone screen) once every few hours.

Pengo

I'm in the same boat as Segata as in I prefer older style forums. I don't mind reddit but it's just not for me.
    05/05/15

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

One would like to think, what with all those members and their huge collections,one would have money to spare, for the upkeep.
    To me, the site owner has always been dodgy.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Many have offered to buy it form him.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Nameless One

I vividly remember when there was a feud between Sonic Cult and Assembler Games, back in the beginning of the century regarding a Sonic X-Treme prototype. Also Assembler's inflexibility was a key factor for Castlevania Bloodlines proto 0.5 not to resurface.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Segata as in I prefer older style forums. I don't mind reddit but it's just not for me.
    Same. Nothing beats the classic forum format IMO. Reddit hasn't clicked with me for whatever reason either.

lol that Xtreme prototype was barely anything. Wasn’t that ~2006?

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Many have offered to buy it form him.
    They've offered alternatives to host the forum cheaper as well. The guy doesn't care, he's a jack ass.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

It's not so much as videos. People transitioned more away from dedicated forums to have a subreddit. Not a big fan of Reddit. Personally, prefer to go back and read posts from long ago often. It's much easier to do that on a forum. I also like having Avatars and sigs and a tighter community. I don't wish to feel like I'm talking to a group of people at a Costco. A smaller and more intimate place to talk is more engaging.
    I agree 100% and certain forums also have lots of legacy information that is incredibly important and not archived otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    lol that Xtreme prototype was barely anything. Wasn’t that ~2006?
    2006 yes, but conflicts between these forums predates this, I remember people from Sonic Cult (or was it SCARZ?) referred to him as ASSembler.
    Last edited by joyeux; 06-07-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I agree 100% and certain forums also have lots of legacy information that is incredibly important and not archived otherwise.
    Numerous members have done full backups of all the public and private content (except PMs as those have to be done by the individual user) so we won't be losing all the info. A large portion of us have migrated over to ObscureGamers. They made us assemblergames refugee tags . Hopefully our new home is devoid of some of the nonsense of the previous spot. I knew after the last long term shut down that it was only a matter of time until this happened. I, and many others, started to pull away after that. Oh well. As long as we have the people and the content, it doesn't really matter where we congregate, as long as its a proper topical forum and not "social media". ASSEMbler can keep on being how he's being about things if he so pleases. We don't need him. As I'd posted over there, normally I have a your site your rules point of view, but the majority of the site was user generated content and he's not done anything to facilitate the users backing up said content. Oh well, luckily it's easy to crawl and scrape sites.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

It's not so much as videos. People transitioned more away from dedicated forums to have a subreddit. Not a big fan of Reddit. Personally, prefer to go back and read posts from long ago often. It's much easier to do that on a forum. I also like having Avatars and sigs and a tighter community. I don't wish to feel like I'm talking to a group of people at a Costco. A smaller and more intimate place to talk is more engaging.
    subreddits are searchable.

Also, there's a lot of talk in this thread about people frantically archiving forums. Aren't those posts already cached by Google? Click the little green arrow beside search results to see cached pages.

Hmm, I just noticed that PCEngineFX.com ceased as of January. Wow, another great forum dead. Damn.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by joyeux View Post
    2006 yes, but conflicts between these forums predates this, I remember people from Sonic Cult (or was it SCARZ?) referred to him as ASSembler.
    I think that may have been because you could type in "ass" into the address bar of the browser, and it would autocomplete to assemblergames.com.
    Also there was this:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Hmm, I just noticed that PCEngineFX.com ceased as of January. Wow, another great forum dead. Damn.
    We moved here http://pcengine.proboards.com/

Thread Information