Quantcast

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Arkagis Revolution - mode 7 like shooter

That's why I slapped it in a build-time setting :​v (though it doesn't seem to interfere with a normal mouse anyway) I've been toying with BlastEm's mouse code too to see how things react to changes in the protocol (indeed, turns out that just about every game takes it just fine, and the one that doesn't happens to be buggy even with the existing mouse so there isn't much that can be done about it).

The problem is that nobody wants to make anything without a guinea pig to make use for it (turns out that there's already quite the reluctance to make an adapter for the existing mouse games because "they aren't enough", so whatever comes out will be likely first from enthusiasts). Though so far the reception seems to be good, so don't be surprised if something comes out of it sooner rather than later :​O)

Mouse in menus :​P

Took six takes to record this without looking like shit. Not to mention only after the fact remembering that Fusion has input lag when recording so I was actually overshooting just about every motion…

nice work!

Quoting myself from Twitter because I'm lazy :​P

https://twitter.com/arkagis/status/1153130800075948037
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkagis Revolution
    Gonna see if I can get a prerelease trial version out this week (currently checking to make sure I'm not missing anything important) #ArkagisRevolution #MegaDrive #メガドライブ
    https://twitter.com/arkagis/status/1153131138409521153
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkagis Revolution
    It's going to be one training* stage, two action stages and one boss stage, if anybody is curious #ArkagisRevolution #MegaDrive #メガドライブ

(*tutorial :​P)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

Great! Can't wait to try it finally.

Trial version is up for download!
    https://www.arkagis.com/

Also here's a playthrough of the trial version :​D

In other news: the Controls page has been updated with details about keyboard and mouse support
    https://www.arkagis.com/controls#keyboard_mouse

I've finished he demo right now and I like it. I don't like the music that much, and I wish there were more recognizable landmarks on the terrain to get a better feeling of orientation, but in terms of gameplay it's fun. I never thought I would see a Mode 7-like game oin the MD, but here it is!

As constructive criticism (I hope), I have to say that I'm not too sure the aspect ratio chosen (I mean, the vertical horientation) is the best for this kind of fame, judging from the feeling I get from the demo (I get the reduced screen space is due to technical reasons).

I like how the rotating control is handled, it's very intuitive and it works fine, but I find the strafed movement a little too rigid. I'm missing diagonals, to be more specific. I find it weird to have to push back, then left, then back, ... and so on, when it should be enough with pushing down + left. Maybe I'm too used to the Contra III controls in this kind of situation, but I think it would add to the game. It's maybe not a big issue during normal gameplay, which is more paused, but it is an issue with bosses. I know for a fact that I use diagonals to beat the bosses in the Mode 7 Contra III levels. And thinking about bosses, I hope there is more variety to them in terms of gameplay, not just rotating around them and firing.

Then there's the minipap, which I wish I could move to get a better idea of where I am.

Well, those are my suggestions. I feel that this could be a really good game, and I hope you keep working hard on it!

Errrrr, the game supports diagonals though? I use them all the time o_o

Doesn't work for me! Using Gens. That's weird.

Hero of Algol

Are you using the keyboard arrows?

Nope, an XBOX One controller that works fine with other games.

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert tokay's Avatar

Are you on Windows 10? This OS behaved in a very fancy way lately for me, and this included random Xbox Controller support.

Level 1 Blast Processor Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    Doesn't work for me! Using Gens. That's weird.
    Can confirm, diagonal controls don't work with Xbox One pad under Gens, which is weird.

Keyboard is fine, other emulators are fine.

Not a fault of the game, I don't think.

Looks cool, some toughts:
    -Enemies can shoot off-screen which I find offputting considering the limited screen size, big hitboxes and fast pace, before you even see them you already have bullets near you. You can also shoot them off-screen, which encourages a too safe/boring playstyle.
    -Enemies stuck in doors kinda give an annoying scenario
    -The maps are a bit empty and could use some more enemies (if the genny can handle it that is), I don't see much purpose in the empty rooms with empty barrels in the first stage for example.
    -Some more varied enemy bullet/movement/speed patterns would be nice so they don't just rush to you like kamikaze all the time (I guess that's the point of the ships in stage 2 but it doesn't feel that different to the tanks). Maybe some tough slow enemies and/or turrets could help, basically more things on screen but slower to properly react to them.
    -I like the music, although stage 1 leads are a bit harsh
    -Bosses are fine, but the first one has a bit too much hp considering the strat is a bit repetitive.
    -Not interested in classic seek 'n destroy objective? they work great for these kind of games imo
    Last edited by Vludi; 07-30-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training matasiete's Avatar

A suggestion. Since 8bitdo M30 controllers have shoulder buttons and they're mapped to Z and C, it would be good to support assigning strafing to Z and C.
    Last edited by matasiete; 08-03-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Thread Information