Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Arkagis Revolution - mode 7 like shooter

And when you're software rendering (even though the slower transfer will negate the speed gain from loading less graphics, you still stand to gain speed from the 68000 having less work to do). Or in racing games due to tilemap abuse (for the road).

But yeah, in this case it's the exact opposite, it's sprite abuse so H40 is actually preferable for the higher sprite count. Miniplanets was on the same ballpark, the planet alone is 64 sprites and would have left no room for anything else if it was H32 (as you only get 64 sprites in H32, instead of the 80 sprites you get in H40).

When you aren't doing something absurd (see: most games), it really doesn't matter much which one you pick.

Updated screenshots in the site to reflect the wider viewport:
    https://www.arkagis.com/gallery

For those who hadn't seen it yet:

It hit me that maybe it'd be a good idea to upload this one:

This wasn't in response to retronostalgia's suggestion by the way, mission briefs were already in the game long before that — it's just that the trial version lacks them because the stage structure is too different (each mission is 2~3 stages each, and the trial only includes a handful of scattered stages).

I'm a bit late to the party but this is looking pretty awesome! I tried out the demo ROM and loved what I've played so far. I am curious though. How much room does the voice samples take up on the ROM? I'd expect that to take up a lot of memory.
    Insert witty sig here.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One retronostalgia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    This wasn't in response to retronostalgia's suggestion by the way, mission briefs were already in the game long before that — it's just that the trial version lacks them because the stage structure is too different
    Glad to hear you were one step ahead of me on that one, and thanks for the explanation... now I understand why you left them out of the demo.

Quote Originally Posted by BinBowie View Post
    I'm a bit late to the party but this is looking pretty awesome! I tried out the demo ROM and loved what I've played so far. I am curious though. How much room does the voice samples take up on the ROM? I'd expect that to take up a lot of memory.
    About 1MB in the full version. I didn't bother to check how much the samples in the trial version use up >.>;

Mind, the samples are not compressed, but the entire game is also 2MB and I'm not going to get smaller memory, so it wasn't worth compressing (and risk breaking the sound driver in the process)… That said, the way dialogue is written is that several small "sub-phrases" are reused, so even though it's about 90 seconds of PCM the total dialogue runs for much longer. It worked out pretty well, though it helps that it's small phrases rather than individual words (also, some careful tweaking of the timing between phrases).

I think it's awesome that homebrew game makers now have the luxury of doing things like allocating 1MB of a 2MB ROM to voice samples. Can you imagine what the response from your bosses would have been if you were working at Sega in 1989 toiling away on a Genesis game? "You want to double the ROM size, hugely inflating the cartridge cost, during a chip shortage, to do WHAT?"

Sega themselves almost do it:
    https://www.sega-16.com/2016/04/sega...-ayrton-senna/
    The Pinnacle of Licensing

Super Monaco GP II was slated to be an much larger cartridge than the final 8meg version that shipped, with 16 race tracks from the 1991 F1 season. Each track was carefully mapped in order to produce the most faithful version possible (though some alterations were made before release). Some concessions had to be made due to time and cost constraints, and by the end of development, Sega of Japan was forced to reduce the game’s cartridge size, and this meant eliminating Senna’s voice tips. They had to instead be included in written form, as with the 8-bit versions. A few audio clips remain in the final release, but they are but a small fraction of the amount of voice Sega planned to include.
    Also as I said, the speech in Arkagis is uncompressed. There's also a bunch of other low hanging fruits that could use compression too. And 256KB goes to a look-up table to speed up rotation math (though it could have fared better >_>). It could easily be much smaller if I actually tried. The problem is that there's no point when I won't get a smaller memory anyway.

Basically, Elmo'd.

LOL. Sounds like a pragmatic and creative response to Nintendo's rigidity.

Uploaded a FAQ to the site for those who missed it
    https://www.arkagis.com/faq

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Nordak's Avatar

I just got through playing the demo. Loved it. It had a mid-80's arcade vibe musically, and I actually quite like that. The controls are top notch, especially on my homemade arcade pad. It's a perfect fit for this game.

I have a few suggestions, and must preface them with a warning. You could fill a thimble with what I know in regard to game development. Is there any way to make it more colorful? I realize the Genesis has always kind of been dealt a bad hand in that regard, but I'd love to see it brightened up a bit. The UI on screen is pretty full, but could you find room for a mini map? Also, when rotating the ship, it might add just a little authenticity if you were to add a slight thruster sound effect.

I absolutely love the game and can not wait for more. A great arcade style shooter, especially when using an arcade stick.

Thread Information