Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why did Sega fail? A look at the 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    SEGA did get back into the red in 2002 thanks to Virtual Fighter IV in the Arcades, which I'm sure still holds the record for a SEGA coin up in Japan for sales revenue. But the trouble was SEGA had a huge debt mountain and CSK selling it's controlling stake, left SEGA wide open to takeover's
    thanks to Okawa, Sega managed to survive and to recreate a profitable business as a software company, I don't remember if it was thanks only to VF4, but in 2002 they were in a "growth phase", basically Sega saved Sega.

I agree, the real backstab was CSK selling its stakes, unfortunately without Okawa and without a console, CSK wasn't interested anymore in Sega, that left us open for Sammy.

When Sammy arrived, Sega was already in good shape financially speaking, they didn't save us, they destroyed us. Internal Sega teams, productive and creative capacity were damaged beyond repair, we operated for a decade or more with the lowest budget and resources ever (despite being backed up by one of the most powerful entertainment companies in Asia, one that could've made and mantained a brand new console without troubles).

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

You keep saying we and us. Did you work for SEGA?

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    thanks to Okawa, Sega managed to survive and to recreate a profitable business as a software company, I don't remember if it was thanks only to VF4, but in 2002 they were in a "growth phase", basically Sega saved Sega.

I agree, the real backstab was CSK selling its stakes, unfortunately without Okawa and without a console, CSK wasn't interested anymore in Sega, that left us open for Sammy.

When Sammy arrived, Sega was already in good shape financially speaking, they didn't save us, they destroyed us. Internal Sega teams, productive and creative capacity were damaged beyond repair, we operated for a decade or more with the lowest budget and resources ever (despite being backed up by one of the most powerful entertainment companies in Asia, one that could've made and mantained a brand new console without troubles).
    Sega was not in a "growth phase" in 2002. Its annual revenue was declining, its arcade machine sales were OK (but not as high as late '90s), its consumer business was obviously declining. The company barely managed to make it into the black in FY2003, mostly by cutting costs and downsizing. There's no way you could look at Sega at this time and think the company was healthy. Sega was one of the most recognizable brands in the game industry and yet its net income in 2003 was only $30 million. There's no way to look at that and see "good shape financially speaking."

In order to capitalize on its brand potential, Sega had to have a fresh flow of cash, which is why they were actively pursuing mergers. CSK's core business model was always too far removed from Sega's (and CSK's involvement was really only due to Nakayama and Okawa's relationship). Sammy was willing to take a risk on the brand, for better or worse. Sega just wasn't in a position to do anything about it.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

This was posted on Twitter. I did not know how expensive Saturn was to develop for

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    This was posted on Twitter. I did not know how expensive Saturn was to develop for

Biggest load or crap ever posted on Twitter
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 07-13-2019 at 05:49 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post

When Sammy arrived, Sega was already in good shape financially speaking, they didn't save us
    It was thanks to VF 4 and heavy cost cutting at SEGA Japan , with Sega outsourcing it's Arcade units manufacturer and being able to them sell its old Arcade manufacturing planet .

Even then the profit was modest and SEGA had billions worth of debt and worst still, it's multi platform strategy didn't work out . SEGA were expected to the new EA and yet even on the PS 2 games didn't sell millions of copies.

That was enough for the CSK shareholders to call it a day and SEGA Japan didn't have enough dosh to buy back the shares, so we got the horrible Sammy Takeover.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Saturn sold 9 million and that's pathetic.
    Dreamcast sold the same right? I don't find selling 10 million of anything pathetic, Saturn was dead in the water in USA yet still managed to sell near 10 million in 90s.

Wii U and Vita for example which are colossal failures sold 13 and 14 million.
    I think inflation and circumstances are different, and one of those is a portable. Are you Mr. Sega? You think and type like him.

SEGA no doubt failed when they were bankrupt in 2001. Sammy basically saved them (Okawa's donation just kept their head above water for a period)
    Failed? They will sell close to 2 to 5 million hardware minis in 2019/2020.

PS5 will be if not the last one of the last traditional consoles. Physical media is gone after that.
    I heard that since 2007.

A mini doesn't count nor does the Tectoy SMS in Brazil.
    Actually, when a company makes hardware, mini or not, or has deals for other major manufactures in other countries or help make said system, such as Samsung, Majesto or Tectoy etc - it is hardware.
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Biggest load or crap ever posted on Twitter
    Mind countering with some info and I don't mean a magazine picture. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but be interested in seeing some hard data to counter it.

Glad you have Saturn in your top 3 (favorite or revered) systems ever =) http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post805599

Mind countering with some info and I don't mean a magazine picture. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but be interested in seeing some hard data to counter it.
    I expected better from SEGABOY, but one must make Nintendo look better than SEGA I guess. While I was being slightly sarcastic. You little post doesn't seem to compare the most expensive part of N64 development, which was a Onyx based system starting from 60k, compared the most expensive Saturn development kit, which was the launch programer box starting at 30k

But failing that, I love your little Twitter post doesn't include the Psy-Q Saturn development system, which one could get for 3k.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'm almost certain that the Saturn sold better in North America, than it did in Europe.
    Saturn did better in Japan than Megadrive I think? I think Saturn sold best in Asia then USA then UK areas.

Thread Information