Quantcast

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Konami announces PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 Mini

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Only if itís Adventureous.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Site Supervillain Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Give me Lords of Thunder.

The more I think about it, I just my get an Everdrive off of ebay instead. I game on a CRT with my Turbo anyways.
    I'm just curious, in what way is LOT better on TurboDuo than Sega CD? I mean Sega has much more paralex right? Audio in both is redbook, graphically maybe the same. Is it because of just more colors or does LOT TurboDuo have more cutscenes, idk just asking why people in general like LOT better on TurboDuo than Sega CD.
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Only if itís Adventureous.
    Not if its SUPER
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    I'm just curious, in what way is LOT better on TurboDuo than Sega CD? I mean Sega has much more paralex right? Audio in both is redbook, graphically maybe the same. Is it because of just more colors or does LOT TurboDuo have more cutscenes, idk just asking why people in general like LOT better on TurboDuo than Sega CD.
    I think the OST sounds better on it.
    Last edited by SegataS; 06-19-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

The Sega version adds some extra parallax. It's missing some bits of assets (nothing major), but that might be a result of sections switching from dynamic tiles on PCE to multiple tile layers on Sega CD.

The music in the Sega version is performed poorly and the different solos aren't great. Tom's bi-compatible version fixes this. Some people complain about the volume balance of the sfx and music, but you should be playing CD games on a model 1 or not complain at all.

The Sega version leaves more crystals, which makes it easier for spammers, but it also suffers from a fair amount of slowdown. The overall detail takes a hit due to color bottlenecks, but they used several techniques, including dithering and the end result is better than most conversions, given the source material.

Genesis fans often complain that it's a bad port that didn't make use of the target hardware, but it's better in each aspect than most Genesis/CD ports and it definitely was reworked to make use of the different hardware. It's just that it's a game that was originally built from the ground up for the PC Engine. Just as Sonic games wouldn't be 1:1 on PC Engine.

Bottomline is that the PCE version looks and sounds better and whether or not the base gameplay is much different, the overall difficulty of the Sega version is lower for a game that was too easy to master in the first place. But it's still a good game and Tom's version fixes the audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The Sega version adds some extra parallax. It's missing some bits of assets (nothing major), but that might be a result of sections switching from dynamic tiles on PCE to multiple tile layers on Sega CD.

The music in the Sega version is performed poorly and the different solos aren't great. Tom's bi-compatible version fixes this. Some people complain about the volume balance of the sfx and music,
    Ah, I'll see if I can download the combo version for MegaSD I'll check it out thanks.

but you should be playing CD games on a model 1 or not complain at all.
    Yeah I like model 1 stuff, not more cut corner model 2 or even cdx stuff myself. Sounds better to me with og hardware (I think the model 1 va3 genesis sounds great).

The Sega version leaves more crystals, which makes it easier for spammers, but it also suffers from a fair amount of slowdown. The overall detail takes a hit due to color bottlenecks, but they used several techniques, including dithering and the end result is better than most conversions, given the source material.

Genesis fans often complain that it's a bad port that didn't make use of the target hardware, but it's better in each aspect than most Genesis/CD ports and it definitely was reworked to make use of the different hardware. It's just that it's a game that was originally built from the ground up for the PC Engine. Just as Sonic games wouldn't be 1:1 on PC Engine.
    Ah, ok.

Bottomline is that the PCE version looks and sounds better and whether or not the base gameplay is much different, the overall difficulty of the Sega version is lower for a game that was too easy to master in the first place. But it's still a good game and Tom's version fixes the audio.
    Awesome thank you for your answers, appreciated.

The Duo got its reputation from Japan, with it's Super CD ROM2 and Arcade cards. The PC Engine was the console to get for arcade games, and the Super CD ROM and Arcade cards offered improved arcade games over what could be accomplished with the limited space of the HU cards for the PC Engine and Turbo. It's crazy hearing that the PC Engine was crushing Nintendo and Sega in Japan, while the rest of the world just didn't care or got the system way too late.

What's funny about the whole cut-scene thing is, that Amiga owners were experiencing a lot of that back in the late 80s. It wasn't anything new to me.
    Last edited by gamevet; 06-19-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I have been listening to the OST on my phone everywhere I have gone the last couple of days and each time I just think to myself. Fucking hell Lords of Thunder has the greatest soundtrack to any shooter ever. Many amazing ones out there. Just LOT takes it. Also one of the better gaming osts in general. In the shooter genre, however, I feel it is the definitive best.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

us weaboos finally have a mini console to call home

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    us weaboos finally have a mini console to call home
    I really like your avatar. I saw a screenshot of a magazine scan which interviewed Sega during upcoming 32x and Saturn era and in the article it mentioned the cartridge slot on Saturn will be compatible with 32x games with an adapter. That is exactly what it said, not thinking of cart based Neptune or Jupiter vs Saturn or the 64x for the Saturn https://youtu.be/oNxsposCrWI?t=8m33s , it specifically said adapter to run 32x games on Saturn. Of course, Sega never released it. I'm having a hard time finding the scan right now, but that is what was stated. Probably a screenshot from Top Hat Gaming Man video. I'll try to keep looking.
    Last edited by Vector; 06-21-2019 at 05:19 AM.

. It's crazy hearing that the PC Engine was crushing Nintendo and Sega in Japan, while the rest of the world just didn't care or got the system way too late.
    It wasn't crushing Nintendo tbf, but it was beating SEGA by a mile and also impressive a lot of people. The system was so much like the Saturn in no many ways... The darling of import shops, both systems that were doing well in Japan, both systems to own if you love shooters and both systems,that were badly handled and managed in the west. NEC was a lot like SEGA too, making crazy add-ons and just making what the hell they wanted, even if it made no sense.

The gaming world is such a lesser place without the madness that came from NEC and SEGA Japan in the console sector and SNK spice
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

I really like your avatar. I saw a screenshot of a magazine scan which interviewed Sega during upcoming 32x and Saturn era and in the article it mentioned the cartridge slot on Saturn will be compatible with 32x games with an adapter. That is exactly what it said, not thinking of cart based Neptune or Jupiter vs Saturn or the 64x for the Saturn https://youtu.be/oNxsposCrWI?t=8m33s , it specifically said adapter to run 32x games on Saturn. Of course, Sega never released it. I'm having a hard time finding the scan right now, but that is what was stated. Probably a screenshot from Top Hat Gaming Man video. I'll try to keep looking.
    thanks man, the original image is out there somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    It wasn't crushing Nintendo tbf, but it was beating SEGA by a mile and also impressive a lot of people. The system was so much like the Saturn in no many ways... The darling of import shops, both systems that were doing well in Japan, both systems to own if you love shooters and both systems,that were badly handled and managed in the west. NEC was a lot like SEGA too, making crazy add-ons and just making what the hell they wanted, even if it made no sense.

The gaming world is such a lesser place without the madness that came from NEC and SEGA Japan in the console sector and SNK spice
    It did outsell the Famicom in 1987, which was quite a surprise, considering how popular the console was in Japan.

It did outsell the Famicom in 1987, which was quite a surprise, considering how popular the console was in Japan.
    Maybe on the launch, but lets face it the Famicom and Super Famicom simply dominated Japan and I couldn't see the PC Eng selling more than 1.7 million units in 1987 myself; Not that really counts for something at one point SEGA Japan with the Saturn was the number one selling system in Japan, outselling both the N64 and Play Station and things were looking so good, untill the bloody FF 7 demo LOL
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information