Quantcast

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Konami announces PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 Mini

From what I recall the PCE spent the latter half of its lifespan with the add-on built-in, so that part is actually in line with it. And if they hadn't done that, people would while about having no CD games since they were more popular than the HuCard games (it's the opposite situation from the Sega CD, which most people think is a Night Trap machine).

I imagine the two controller ports is so people can actually play two player games without having to resort to purchasing the multitap (glorified USB hub) they also announced. The emulator probably still shows that to the games as a multitap.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

This should have been a PC Engine Duo Mini then!

Anyway ye, this highlights one of many problems with the PC Engine, the fact that most of the library was released on CDs due to the base PC Engine hardware being too limited in some ways and also due to Hucards limited storage (and also Hucards production cost). This screwed many consumers back then who couldn't afford the CD add-on and thus missed out on most of the system library. And this is also a bit annoying because early CD systems had various issues, mainly the long loading times but also the way in-game music usually reboots which is not as smooth as cart games.

And of course that the two controller ports is more handy but this is not accurate to the original hardware so this sucks and it's even more stupid since apparently they already planned a multitap.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    At first I was happily surprised by this news and then shit happened when I heard that:

-It gonna have two controller ports

-It gonna include Hucard and CD games

Is it true? Because if so, that would be stupid since this goes against the actual system legacy. The PC Engine does NOT have two controller ports (only one for those who aren't aware) and the PC Engine does NOT play CD games (since it needs an add-on to do so).

And BTW ye, the Turbografx-16 is quite ugly and despite its bigger size, still doesn't have RGB output nor two controller ports.
    It had the Turbo Tap.

The TG-16 may not have RGB output, but at least you could get composite video and stereo sound with the Turbo Booster.

There is currently an adapter that will allow RGB from the TG-16.

https://stoneagegamer.com/engine-blo...?afmc=retrorgb

Happy Console Gamer has put together a video listing games he'd like to see. I think that Galaga 90' needs to be on there.

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    This should have been a PC Engine Duo Mini then!.
    Yes, it should have been and that was a system that looked great in Japan or the USA. Still its nice that we are getting a PC Eng Mini and some of its better games are coming. Hopefully, SEGA going forward does a Multi Mega Mini and put the Lunar's and Snatcher on there. I wonder if Konami will put Snatcher on here too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

With the announcement of all these upcoming mini classic consoles, do you guys think that the fact that some very rare games are being included on these systems that this will affect the prices of the original games? I'm hoping this starts lowering the prices for some of the rarer games on eBay.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    With the announcement of all these upcoming mini classic consoles, do you guys think that the fact that some very rare games are being included on these systems that this will affect the prices of the original games? I'm hoping this starts lowering the prices for some of the rarer games on eBay.
    I'm gonna go with a "No" on that one.

BTW, I was thinking a guy like Kanye West will probably be all over this. Remember those old tweets of his.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    I'm gonna go with a "No" on that one.

BTW, I was thinking a guy like Kanye West will probably be all over this. Remember those old tweets of his.

LOL yup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SChxdj_Xx0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SChxdj_Xx0U&hl=en&fs=1">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SChxdj_Xx0U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="644" height="386">
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Its never made any difference before, can't see it making any difference now. I hope Splash Lake is on there, that's an overlooked and underrated classic, that's a riot in 2 player mode
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

The guy who runs my favourite retro gaming shop told me that prices for various NES and SNES games started to fall after the success of the NES and SNES mini console releases. I hadn't noticed much of a change myself but just wondered if it would potentially affect the market in the long run.

I want these mini systems but as someone who is now officially broke as fuck i'm just glad I invested in a whole bunch of everdrives, some other consoles that I needed and a framemeister.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

The guy who runs my favourite retro gaming shop told me that prices for various NES and SNES games started to fall after the success of the NES and SNES mini console releases. I hadn't noticed much of a change myself but just wondered if it would potentially affect the market in the long run.
    I don't know, it seems outrageous to me but the prices are still sky high from what they were 10-12 years ago. I thought that retro gaming would be just a fad and then people would go back to doing whatever, but it's obvious with the release of these retro consoles that more and more people are getting into it. I mean, the Turbografx-16 mini in the American market? So few people owned it, what's the realistic market? But apparently there's enough of one to release it here.

I'm glad for the mini consoles, because it honestly gives the feel of the original consoles upscaled with the original controllers, without having to tinker with Emulators and filters and a ton of other stuff, which honestly made me frustrated over the last few years. I prefer just plugging in and playing. Plus, it's completely legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Its never made any difference before, can't see it making any difference now. I hope Splash Lake is on there, that's an overlooked and underrated classic, that's a riot in 2 player mode
    Final Fantasy VII got fairly expensive until Sony sold a digital copy for the
    PS3.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Final Fantasy VII got fairly expensive until Sony sold a digital copy for the
    PS3.
    We had the SNK mini and the likes of Metal Slug still command inane prices and haven't come down. We've had the Snes mini and the price of games like Contra III, Castlevania IV, haven't come down really. The likes of Streets Of Rage III, Monster World IV, Radiant Silvergun, Castlevania Bloodlines on the likes of XBLA or in various collections and prices of games haven't really come down. I think people are still ready to pay high prices for the real things, sadly. Its a shame too, as I bet so many who get these games, won't play them
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Those are extreme cases, with limited numbers, and Radiant Silvergun was a remake for the Xbox 360.

The price of Final Fantasy III has dropped substantially over the years, because of the availability of the game on other devices like the SNES mini. I'm not saying it always happens, but I've seen it often enough.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fanta...cAAOSwM4RdA-Qs

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I don't know, it seems outrageous to me but the prices are still sky high from what they were 10-12 years ago. I thought that retro gaming would be just a fad and then people would go back to doing whatever, but it's obvious with the release of these retro consoles that more and more people are getting into it. I mean, the Turbografx-16 mini in the American market? So few people owned it, what's the realistic market? But apparently there's enough of one to release it here.

I'm glad for the mini consoles, because it honestly gives the feel of the original consoles upscaled with the original controllers, without having to tinker with Emulators and filters and a ton of other stuff, which honestly made me frustrated over the last few years. I prefer just plugging in and playing. Plus, it's completely legal.
    Couldn't agree more. These offer far more "authentic" means of playing the old classic systems for the casual fan, most of who aren't interested in clone systems and emulation. On the price front, ehhh, that's all cyclical and ebbs and flows. I really don't think there's an affect.

Thread Information