Quantcast

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Konami announces PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 Mini

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I really need to get that game for the Turbo. The Amiga version was so poorly balanced.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I quite like SEGA Lord X, so I don't know where you get that idea, from at all. I also really like Randomised Gaming, RetroCore, LGR, Game Shack, Happy Console Gamer, My Life in Gaming and Metal Jesus.
    Top Hat Gamer man has many times been found out on Retrogamer, to have copy and pasted from the likes of Wiki and gets many things wrong. Before I'm, reported and told off for going off topic ask your self just a couple of things ...

Why would SEGA Japan look to make the 32X adaptor? That photo is clearly fake: By the time of the White Saturn, the 32X was long dead and SEGA never styled it's Master System converter in the style of the console, so why would SEGA do it for the 32X?.
    It's quite clearly a photo of where someone painted a 32X white (the style and dimensions are excalty the same), cut the Cart port off it and put it on the white Saturn. Edge Magazine did a mock-up for the Virtual Fighter 3 add-on Cart and that looks fine, but you then have issues of how that add-on cart was meant to cool its self, given it was 'said' to have Model 3 spec, it would have needed some serious cooling and cause no end of trouble to fit all that in a Cart slot.

I don't think the Model 3 add-on cart got far into development myself (if at all) and have only ever seen Andy Mee from SEGA Europe talk of the device. Hiroshi Kataoka, when interviewed over Saturn VF3, didn't know anything for about an add-on the cart for the Saturn to give the system better gfx (one would think he would know) and said the development of VF3 on Saturn didn't get very far, before it was decided to move to Project Dreamcast. One would have also expected Shenmue on the Saturn to make use of the Add-On and it didn't, so was it ever real in the 1st place?
    I'm not at all talking about the white Saturn and white 32x/64x fake picture. At all. At. All. LOL. I simply told guy above I liked it as his avatar because Top Hat Gaming Man made an entire video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxsposCrWI . Again, About what I was saying about fake picture with white Saturn white 64x (that people are confusing for what I just said above ^), Top Hat Gaming Man made an entire video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxsposCrWI . I mentioned what I screenshoted and lost (my main point of my last 3 posts) - A screenshot from a youtube video I took, of a magazine scan, of an article interviewing Sega (idk if it was Sega Japan or America or EU) saying they are making a 32x adapter so the 32x games can run on Saturn before its launch. I will keep looking for it. And, in one of the youtube channel hosts I mentioned (Sega Lord X, THGM, NN, etc - has the said screenshot I took which was talking about a Sega 32x to Saturn compatibility adapter in the article. Again, that is what I'm searching my hard drive now for. I hope that straightens all this out now. Unedited Posts # 76 and #81 and #85 already should have. This is all I can find atm https://ibb.co/DKxwHwQ
    Last edited by Vector; 06-25-2019 at 06:15 AM.
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I really need to get that game for the Turbo. The Amiga version was so poorly balanced.
    I also liked the Master System version, but the PC-Eng version was more or less Arcade perfect.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

The PC Engine seems to have sold 6 million units in Japan rather than 8 which is far from what the Famicom and Super Famicom sold there.

As for Lords of Thunder on Mega-CD, it is indeed a cheap port. It should have been better in almost every ways given what the Mega-CD is capable of but instead it makes poor use of the system sound setup, it has worse cutscenes, it removes some visual effects which are otherwise rather basic... Well, at least it adds some parallax scrollings in some crucial spots and has tweaked gameplay in some ways but still, I can see why some Mega-CD owners are disappointed overall. It's just as disappointing as Mega Bomberman which should have also being better on Mega Drive than PC Engine and unsurprisingly, Lords of Thunder and Mega Bomberman happens to be Hudson Soft games who obviously didn't want the Mega Drive or Mega-CD to get yet more superior multiplats just like they usually (and rightfully) got (e.g. Golden Axe, Hellfire, Strider, Columns, Popful Mail, Devil Crash, Cosmic Fantasy Stories, Puyo Puyo 1 and 2, etc)

Also just like I've said before, it's stupid that they include two controller ports and put the CD games in the PC Engine/Turbograx-16 Mini because this is not how an actual PC Engine or Turbografx is at all. It would be like doing a Master System Mini with a start button on the controller. No, just no. When people are doing those Mini consoles they aren't supposed to fix the issues they originally had.

I hope Splash Lake is on there, that's an overlooked and underrated classic, that's a riot in 2 player mode
    Never heard of that one. I gonna try it
    Last edited by Yohko16; 06-25-2019 at 08:18 PM.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Does the Cosmic Fantasy series make it on either?

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    Also just like I've said before, it's stupid that they include two controller ports and put the CD games in the PC Engine/Turbograx-16 Mini because this is not how an actual PC Engine or Turbografx is at all. It would be like doing a Master System Mini with a start button on the controller. No, just no. When people are doing those Mini consoles they aren't supposed to fix the issues they originally had.
    You're right, they should only have RF out as well.

Like I said it was difficult to get any sort of accurate figures back into those days and the CD-Rom2 didn't come out until 1988, so that wouldn't be included in 87 sales figures. The main trouble is, only Nintendo has ever bothered to publish official sales figures for 87 and where the Famicom sold over 1.7 million units in 1987
    In reality Nintendo on their website only list the hardware shipment data from the year 2000 and on ward (if memory serves me right on the year).
    The reason we have a completes history of Nintendo hardware yearly shipment data is because an investor requested such information to Nintendo and the document leaked on the Internet.

Even if NEC or Sega don't have official shipment data listed on their website such information could be found on japanese magazines that reported such figures at the time.
    That's how we got accurate yearly shipment data for some Sega, NEC, Panasonic, SNK consoles through magazines like Famitsu and Beep! Mega Drive.

As for the total shipment of PC Engine in Japan:
    PC Engine (Hu card only models): 3.92M
    PC Engine CDRom^2 + Duo: 1.92M (of which around 1.00M are Duo consoles)

In general for old console sales data this old thread on NeoGAF is still the point of reference:
    https://www.neogaf.com/threads/retro...thread.981407/

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Japan also had a habit of reporting shipped units as sold.
    That's because shipped units are units sold to retailers.
    Last edited by Folco; 06-26-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Its a fab game with ace music and is a riot in 2 player mode. Such an overlooked CD-Rom2 classic
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Folco View Post
    As for the total shipment of PC Engine in Japan:
    PC Engine (Hu card only models): 3.92M
    PC Engine CDRom^2 + Duo: 1.92M (of which around 1.00M are Duo consoles)
    Nice info and just goes to show Nintendo owned Japan with the Famicom and Super Famicom. Sales figures weren't that great back then and only mag's like CVG in the UK would even bother to report them. It wasn't until magicbox where I got to see reliable weekly sales in Japan. Even the UK or USA was far from perfect too, UK charts never counted digital sales and in the USA there was always forums arguments because NPD never counted sales from Walmart or how the PS and PS2 were so unreliable, people we buying 2 system or more LOL

It wasn't quite perfect or scientifically accurate, but back then. I would look to see how many dedicated gaming mags, 3rd party and retail support any system was having. That was also a good way to gauge how well a system was selling
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Folco View Post

That's because shipped units are units sold to retailers.
    Yes, but some Sega-16 members have taken offense to Nintendo's reported sales of the SNES (per year) in North America, because they were counting shipped units to retail.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

The PC Engine seems to have sold 6 million units in Japan rather than 8 which is far from what the Famicom and Super Famicom sold there.
    And like I said, adding all 20 Genesis variants I'd say Genesis (43 mil but should be 50+) outsold SNES worldwide (49).

As for Lords of Thunder on Mega-CD, it is indeed a cheap port. It should have been better in almost every ways given what the Mega-CD is capable of but instead it makes poor use of the system sound setup, it has worse cutscenes, it removes some visual effects which are otherwise rather basic... Well, at least it adds some parallax scrollings in some crucial spots and has tweaked gameplay in some ways but still, I can see why some Mega-CD owners are disappointed overall. It's just as disappointing as Mega Bomberman which should have also being better on Mega Drive than PC Engine and unsurprisingly, Lords of Thunder and Mega Bomberman happens to be Hudson Soft games who obviously didn't want the Mega Drive or Mega-CD to get yet more superior multiplats just like they usually (and rightfully) got (e.g. Golden Axe, Hellfire, Strider, Columns, Popful Mail, Devil Crash, Cosmic Fantasy Stories, Puyo Puyo 1 and 2, etc)
    Thank you for answering me =)

I see where you are coming from, but I wouldn't be opposed to Virtua Fighter and Racing 32x and a few Sega CD games on Genesis mini. Would you? It went hand in hand with its existence, even if add ons were 1/10th compared to core system yet combo systems were produced in its lifespan for Sega and NEC, the first cd stuff for systems back in day. The TG16 should be called TurboDuo mini though (I actually asked for that here weeks before announcement =)
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

50 games included in the Turbografx mini with BOTH PC engine and TG-16 games included (Snatcher, Dracula X & more!!!). 3/19/2020 release date. Pre-orders seem to be imminent.

https://www.konami.com/games/pcemini/us/en/

https://www.amazon.co.jp/b/?ie=UTF8&...ode=6974564051

Last edited by Lan Di; 07-12-2019 at 02:48 AM.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I need this. Having both regions of games on one system is amazing. As soon as it goes up on Amazon US I am in.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Lack of Gates of thunder and Devil Crush are perplexing.
    Why would you ever leave out some of the best games on the system when you own the game rights?

Old School Sega 4 Ever! Master of Shinobi Lan Di's Avatar

Happy Console Gamer.

Thread Information