Quantcast

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Konami announces PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Folco View Post
    Lack of Gates of thunder and Devil Crush are perplexing.
    Why would you ever leave out some of the best games on the system when you own the game rights?
    And Splatterhouse, Legendary Axe, Dungeon Explorer II

Wildside Expert

Considering this will seemingly compete with the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive mini, it's odd that Sega licensed Space Harrier & Fantasy Zone for the TG16/PCE mini. Still no Outrun though - guess the lack of a Ferrari license simply can't be overcome on any current mini console. Too bad because the PCE port of Outrun is really good.

This is a day 1 purchase for me - even at $100. I have a TG-16 with an Everdrive so I can play all HuCard games, but the addition of numerous CD & SuperGrafx titles clinches it for me. Plus we all know it will be hacked almost as soon as it's released which leaves the promise of adding more games to it - especially since it can run CD titles.

I really would have liked to see Gate of Thunder included. Luckily I bought it on Wii Virtual Console many years ago so I can still play it.
    Last edited by redsox2013; 07-12-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Folco View Post
    Lack of Gates of thunder and Devil Crush are perplexing.
    Why would you ever leave out some of the best games on the system when you own the game rights?
    We don't know what Konami really owns. The only ones safe to assume are games which only have Konami or Hudson copyrights.

It may be too pricey now to publish some titles involving RED and Syn Sound Design has done music for Duran Duran and may have residual rights through the current music industry standards or outstanding issues to settle.

If Gate of Thunder would cost as much as $1 extra, they might feel it's better to use several other games instead. They also ran polls to determine interest and the games people asked for in Japan are not what people on here seem to expect.

It's cool that Aldynes is included.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Interesting that they're putting Snatcher on the US one. I wonder if they'll give us the Translated Rondo of Blood from the PSP release and a new translated version of Snatcher on it?

Quote Originally Posted by redsox2013 View Post
    Considering this will seemingly compete with the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive mini, it's odd that Sega licensed Space Harrier & Fantasy Zone for the TG16/PCE mini.
    As odd as Konami licensing Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps for the Mega Drive mini. Two on two, you could say.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Interesting that they're putting Snatcher on the US one. I wonder if they'll give us the Translated Rondo of Blood from the PSP release and a new translated version of Snatcher on it?
    No, it's the Japanese version of both games what's going to be included in all models.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

A whole lot of good a non-translated version of Snatcher will do for the English speaking audience.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I imagine that translating Snatcher must be too expensive for a mini and the only translated version so far is the Sega CD version (oh the irony), which good luck figuring out if they have the script around (and trying to retrieve it all from the released game must be a pain, not to mention a few scenes were removed).

I'm more surprised they'd consider Snatcher at all given their feud with Kojima.

SITE SUPERVILLAIN Outrunner Vector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I imagine that translating Snatcher must be too expensive for a mini and the only translated version so far is the Sega CD version (oh the irony), which good luck figuring out if they have the script around (and trying to retrieve it all from the released game must be a pain, not to mention a few scenes were removed).

I'm more surprised they'd consider Snatcher at all given their feud with Kojima.
    Well since TurboDuo Mini has "50" games and Sega wants to compete with them, they should announce (since there is 2 to 3 months before release) or add 4 SCD (Snatcher or Sonic CD, Soul Star or Silpheed and Terminator or Eternal Champion CD or w/e) and 4 32X games (Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Star Wars Arcade and Knuckles) then both have Core (Genesis/TG16), CD add on and Updated systems (32 X/SuperGrafx) on their Mini with same amount of games (even though then Genesis has no real duplicates like TD Mini) and close to price. I even heard SGFX version of Ghouls N Ghosts was better than Genesis version, complete with trees moving, more animation and etc so it is cool I can play that game on Jap TD Mini. But so far, both are great buys as is. But I'm pissed no SOR1 (I actually like SOR1 more than SOR2 sometimes) or no SCD or 32X games. I hope this 5 or 6 sentence paragraph wasn't hard to read.
    My Feedback : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...orman-feedback
    My Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAhCCdRxXo
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is this guy the new forum villain? LOL
    They called me Mr. Glass =)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    We don't know what Konami really owns. The only ones safe to assume are games which only have Konami or Hudson copyrights.
    Both Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder were published on Wii Virtual Console and had the same copyrights (Hudson & Red Company).
    So it's a bit strange.

Same for including Alien Crush instead of Devil Crush, I don't think it was caused by copyrights.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    And Splatterhouse, Legendary Axe, Dungeon Explorer II
    They would have been nice but I can see Konami not wanting to including too much third-party games to pay less licensing fees.
    Dungeon Explorer II would have been great but they probably choose the firs one over it.
    Last edited by Folco; 07-14-2019 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Well since TurboDuo Mini has "50" games and Sega wants to compete with them, they should announce (since there is 2 to 3 months before release) or add 4 SCD (Snatcher or Sonic CD, Soul Star or Silpheed and Terminator or Eternal Champion CD or w/e) and 4 32X games (Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Star Wars Arcade and Knuckles) then both have Core (Genesis/TG16), CD add on and Updated systems (32 X/SuperGrafx) on their Mini with same amount of games (even though then Genesis has no real duplicates like TD Mini) and close to price. I even heard SGFX version of Ghouls N Ghosts was better than Genesis version, complete with trees moving, more animation and etc so it is cool I can play that game on Jap TD Mini. But so far, both are great buys as is. But I'm pissed no SOR1 (I actually like SOR1 more than SOR2 sometimes) or no SCD or 32X games. I hope this 5 or 6 sentence paragraph wasn't hard to read.
    More like 46 games, since there are four games which are available both in the Japanese set and the English set of games, and they are counting them as different games when they aren't. The Mega Drive mini is also going to have several games available in different languages (not just Japanese and English, also European languages as well) and they haven't counted duplicates as additional games, or else the Mega Drive mini would go to far more than 50 games, and that's not even counting the exclusive games of each regional Mini. In the case of the PC Engine mini, the only game which is different between regions is Tokimeki Memorial for Japan and Salamander for the rest of the world.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    More like 46 games, since there are four games which are available both in the Japanese set and the English set of games, and they are counting them as different games when they aren't. The Mega Drive mini is also going to have several games available in different languages (not just Japanese and English, also European languages as well) and they haven't counted duplicates as additional games, or else the Mega Drive mini would go to far more than 50 games, and that's not even counting the exclusive games of each regional Mini. In the case of the PC Engine mini, the only game which is different between regions is Tokimeki Memorial for Japan and Salamander for the rest of the world.
    Since the minis are competing, would you be more excited if Sega added a few Sega CD games and 32 X games since TG16Mini has card, cd and supergrafx games on their mini?

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Since the minis are competing, would you be more excited if Sega added a few Sega CD games and 32 X games since TG16Mini has card, cd and supergrafx games on their mini?
    They aren't competing. There is no system war.

PC-FX is the PC Engine equivalent of 32X and nobody wants it added, just as 1% of the market for the mini Mega Drive care about 32X.

Why not demand Mega Modem, Mega-LD, and System C2 software along with link cable, Activator, Menacer, Justfier and Mega Mouse peripherals?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

PC-FX is the PC Engine equivalent of 32X and nobody wants it added, just as 1% of the market for the mini Mega Drive care about 32X.

Why not demand Mega Modem, Mega-LD, and System C2 software along with link cable, Activator, Menacer, Justfier and Mega Mouse peripherals?
    There are SuperGrafx games on the PC Engine Mini at least in Japan, as far as I know like Ghouls N Ghosts etc. Also, since they are releasing 6 months apart, and I have a choice to pre order / buy either one this year...how is that not competition per say? And the last time I check PC Engine Mini has CD games too.

Of course, the more, the better. But up to this point, Sega would probably have to delay the Mega Drive mini release in order to add new games to it, since the release date is two months ahead now and probably the console is in the production chain already.

What I would love about these minis would the possibility to add further games, from legal means obviously. The fact these are closed systems with a limited selection of games is always going to leave you the desire for more, no matter what.

I always considered the PC Engine equivalent of the 32X to be the SuperGrafx, even though a closer Mega Drive equivalent to that one would have been the Sega Neptune, had it been released. If there would have been an add-on attachment that upgraded a stock PC Engine into a SuperGrafx, then that would have been the PC Engine equivalent of the 32X, but that doesn't exist as far as I know.

The PC-FX in my eyes is more like an equivalent of the Sega Saturn but really, really, reaaaally gone bad. But hey, you are the PC Engine expert here after all.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    What I would love about these minis would the possibility to add further games, from legal means obviously. The fact these are closed systems with a limited selection of games is always going to leave you the desire for more, no matter what.
    That would be cool. Like SNK did with the Neo Geo X years ago. Where it came packed with 20-30 games or whatever, but you could buy a couple expansion packs on sd cards, or whatever they were, that had another 20 games or so each.

I'd love to see Sega or NEC do that with their upcoming minis. I know that they won't have them, but it is a cool idea. And it's not like it would cost much to implement an SD or USB or equivalent slot into the units themselves, the cost would come with licensing more titles down the road.

Thread Information