Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shenmue 3 Controversy

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

This whole controversy seems way overblown to me, but I'm not a PC gamer.

They started to send the refund surveys, if you guys are not receiving go to fangamer. The period is just two weeks, don't let they scam your money.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

I feel this game only has a 60% chance of being a success. So much controversy about development hell, the PC release, tons of delays, and not big enough budget.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Promptly requested refund this morning. ShameYu.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Not ShameYu, shame Deep Silver.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

We’re getting SHENMUE III and you guys are babbling about what game store icon you see for the first 5 seconds?

Madness.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I’ve already received an email for ordering the collector’s edition. It looked pretty cool.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

It's Shenmue. The first two games were boring as hell tech demos with some cool character design. Real life is a more fun option. What's going to make the 3rd any good? If anything, Sleeping Dogs was the best Shenmue game that wasn't Shenmue.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    It's Shenmue. The first two games were boring as hell tech demos with some cool character design. Real life is a more fun option. What's going to make the 3rd any good? If anything, Sleeping Dogs was the best Shenmue game that wasn't Shenmue.
    Even for hot takes this is a bad one.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

No, it's Yakuza!
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Yakuza and Shenmue are very different games. Outside of surface-level comparisons, they are very different.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Yakuza and Shenmue are very different games. Outside of surface-level comparisons, they are very different.
    It's still the closest thing to Shenmue that Sega has ever created. There are a lot of simularities, outside of the stupid job quests.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Shenmue was always the marmite of the video game world. People seem to either really like it, like me, or find it really boring.

Don't get me wrong, Shenmue is a revolutionary game when it came to game development: open-world exploration, quick-time events, tons of side quests, creating a huge, unique world by incorporating real-life settings from Japan into the game. Shenmue Set the stage for a lot of game development after it.

But the game itself is just not fun to play.

The voice acting is laughably bad. Fight system is a stiff, clunky port of Virtua Fighter. Ryo's character development is bizarre, going from an average Joe seeking to avenge his father, into a guy who basically steals money to buy train tickets, and gets scammed in the process. You're running around town asking "Do you know who murdered my father?" of complete strangers, who are otherwise not tied to the plot at all. It's a fetch quest of dialogue from characters that are never otherwise developed in this long slog of a game. And on top of it all, when you finish the game, you are no closer to finding out any of the key story details. You have to get a job driving a forklift around, which may be one of the most boring activities in video game history.

Going to the arcade is cool, and buying mini figures from the convenience store is neat, and the graphics look great for Dreamcast, and there's tons of recorded dialogue, but the gameplay in Shenmue is conspicuously absent.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

The most common opinion I hear is that everything Shenmue does is already done a lot better by the Yakuza games. So it basically will boil down to whether you care about continuing Shenmue's story or not.

Thread Information