Quantcast

Thread: Grandia HD collection video and information

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Switch Grandia HD collection video and information

The outlet also spoke to GungHo Online Entertainment America director of game publishing Takeshi Minagawa, who offered the following tidbits of information:

Grandia HD Collection will be available “very soon,” but Minagawa would not provide a release date or more specific window.
    When asked if there are plans for a physical release, Minagawa said, “Not at all.” It will be a digital-only release.
    When asked if GungHo Online Entertainment would consider releasing a PlayStation 4 version, Minagawa said, “We’ll think about it, but we felt the Switch was the console platform best suited for JRPGs, and we are first focused on release for Nintendo Switch and PC.”
    The code for Grandia is based on the original PlayStation version.
    The ports are being handled by Sickhead Games.
    GungHo Online Entertainment touched up as many art assets as possible. Most of the user interface received a complete overhaul, aside from a few menu digits that could not be replaced. There is no option to use the original sprites.
    In the E3 2019 show floor demo of Grandia HD Collection, the battle ability voices were in English despite selecting Japanese voice-overs.
    The audio quality will remain the same as the original PlayStation version, and no additional elements are being added to Grandia.
    Asked about a potential Grandia III remaster, Minagawa said, “I cannot say. The history with Grandia III is so complicated—who distributed it, who published it, who actually has the rights. If you really want to ask that question, you’d have to go ask [original developer] Game Arts first.”

Grandia HD Collection will be released for Switch, and Grandia HD Remaster will be released for PC. Grandia II HD Remaster is already available for PC. Read more about the collection here.

Watch the footage below. View the screenshots at the gallery.
    https://gematsu.com/2019/06/grandia-...mation-tidbits

Based on the PS1 version.....for fuck's sake why..... While you're at it just base Grandia II off the PS2 version. It's a letdown and the video does not look good. Still for someone who never played them this is the best way I guess. I do want more people to play these great games. Sad about no physical version but I kinda expected that. I have my originals at least. Yeah, I'm getting it regardless. I love Grandia/Grandia II to death so I have to.
    Last edited by SegataS; 06-12-2019 at 03:52 AM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Another crushing disappointment. Time to sell the Switch
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Ew, it looks like they're using a softened version of the PS1 backgrounds rather than the higher-res Saturn ones. And no physical release? I agree, this totally crushed my hopes. I'll be saving for the Sega Genesis, Turbografx-16, and Neo Geo Minis. All can be purchased at the price of a single Switch and this game. At least I'll own them permanently. -_-

And BTW, this gives even more justification for the English Saturn translation being done by some of our members.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/grandia-...mation-tidbits

Based on the PS1 version.....for fuck's sake why..... While you're at it just base Grandia II off the PS2 version. It's a letdown and the video does not look good. Still for someone who never played them this is the best way I guess. I do want more people to play these great games. Sad about no physical version but I kinda expected that. I have my originals at least. Yeah, I'm getting it regardless. I love Grandia/Grandia II to death so I have to.
    I think it looks pretty decent but I'm gonna hazard a guess it was easy to work with the PS1's coding then the clusterfuck of the Saturn's.
    05/05/15

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

The camera during the battle scenes looks janky as hell. Incoming motion sickness!

Yeah, I can tell by looking at it that it's 100% based on the PS1 version. Looking at this video here, you can see that they didn't event try to clean up Parm's floor, it's just as screwed up as the PS1 port, and building shadows are missing entirely:

Oh and the issue of Japanese voices not showing up in Battle, that's because the Menu Graphics and Battle voices are stored in the same file, so if you just swap them out you'll get Japanese Voices with Japanese Menu graphics. Looks like they're too lazy to make a new file to use that has Japanese Voices + English Menu Graphics.

Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 06-12-2019 at 09:35 PM.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

This gives a look at both games.

From the footage they've released so far I'm seeing zero evidence of that. It's 100% identical to the Playstation version. So once again:

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Utter lame PR no doubt after getting bad feedback, even the Battle transitions are straight from the PS version.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

What are the main difference between the 2 versions? I haven't played the Saturn one in years and I got about 40 hours in and stopped do the language barrier and went over to the PSx version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    From the footage they've released so far I'm seeing zero evidence of that. It's 100% identical to the Playstation version. So once again:

Where do you find these hilarious videos?
    05/05/15

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    What are the main difference between the 2 versions? I haven't played the Saturn one in years and I got about 40 hours in and stopped do the language barrier and went over to the PSx version.
    More detail in environments. Shadows and such all removed from the PS1 version. Backgrounds were blurry on PS1. Alcohol was changed to coffee.

More detail in environments. Shadows and such all removed from the PS1 version. Backgrounds were blurry on PS1. Alcohol was changed to coffee.
    Well that last bit is just an issue with translation, not porting.

But here's a rundown:
    • Floors are done by VDP2 and are much higher quality with shadows and sometimes roads and paths being more logical in large towns.
    • Due to VDP2 doing these floor layers and fog layers many special effect are missing or poorly recreated on PS1 (Water, fog, etc.)
    • The Map Screen runs at a higher resolution and looks nicer
    • Audio is ADX and is higher quality
    • Battle screen backgrounds are twice the resolution on Saturn coming in at 512x512 vs the 256x256 of the PS1 version and they look much sharper.
    • Most VDP2 based spell effects are missing entirely.
    • FMVs technically run at a higher resolution but it's debatable if they're actually higher quality.
    • The font has had it's resolution lowered in the PS1 version for both English and Japanese. As a result the Saturn font is cleaner and easier to read.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Where do you find these hilarious videos?
    Internet.

Thread Information