Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who still collects?

It has been many years since I had bought any 32X items.
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I haven't bought a 32x cart in about 5 years or so, but that's because the only one that I still need is Spider-Man. If I ever come across a reasonably priced cart, I'll buy it.

I still keep the tower of power hooked up in my game room though, and play my share of 32x goodness from time to time. I'm one of those unfortunate souls who had the 32x when it was new and still being supported. Hahahaha

I will say (and I've said this before in old threads) that having Doom on the 32x back when it was new was actually really cool, and I was the envy of my friends. At that time you needed either a high end PC, 32x or Jaguar to play it, and while I went to school with a guy who had a Jag, he didn't own Doom at that time. So for a brief shining moment in time, the guy with the 32x was the envy of the gaming community.

A year or so later, however, when Sega cancelled the thing after only 30ish games coming out, I felt like a chump. Especially considering how many games that had been teased in magazines I was looking forward to ended up getting scrapped.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

I still only have Virtua Fighter and Kolibri in my "collection". I never see 32X games in the wild for a sensible price, if ever. Then again, my boxed 32X was only TWO DOLLARS at a flea market, so maybe I'm spoiled for pricing?
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Also there's around 150 arcade ports (see my sig) on the stock Megadrive alone (and this does not even include Amiga, etc ports), some of them do improve on the original regarding content or gameplay. If you knock-out 150 games just because they are ports, you are missing a whole lot, and many of the most important games on the platform
    Yes, some of the ports are great and add new stuff. On the 32X, though? I don't see it. Take the port of Doom for example, it's got a decent framerate, I've played through it, but today I'd rather use something like PrBoom+ that looks a lot better and isn't missing any of the levels (I still have the original WADs).

I know people still buy stuff online...but I wonder if it's phasing out to collect for? Due to pricing, as I said already, not many people are probably willing to jump in.

It even seems like not many people are interested in talking about it as much anymore. Maybe overall the 32x community is fading away? That would be sad.
    I am Mr_32X

It's no secret: The 32X is good for five, hell, maybe ten games before you hit the big brick wall.
    I've owned my 32X since 1995 along with the same four games for it. The idea of library collecting to me has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

I think the high buying prices across the board on the various 80's and 90's platforms have narrowed people into buying games that they want to enjoy rather than just own.

But even considering the small library, spending the money to own it all, 3/4 of it is completely bunk.

So would you rather throw money at an entire 32X library that you're never going to entirely play?
    Or maybe you pick up the few games worthwhile and move onto grabbing a handful more on something else like a 3DO or Jaguar instead?

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

My recommendation is always buy what you can find on the cheap, use flash carts and the like for everything else, that way you aren't fooled into paying hundreds of dollars for a game you might not even like.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

I've moved into other regions as well as the miscellaneous items as well. I feel I'm probably one of the few dedicated 32x collectors left.
    I am Mr_32X

Tempo and Space Harrier are my to go to games. I recently got Kolibri and Zaxxon . Pretty fun system. I will always cherish mine; I got it for free from a buddy in 1999. he was using it as a doorstop. It is how I started to collect for sega for sure.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legend77 View Post
    I know people still buy stuff online...but I wonder if it's phasing out to collect for? Due to pricing, as I said already, not many people are probably willing to jump in.

It even seems like not many people are interested in talking about it as much anymore. Maybe overall the 32x community is fading away? That would be sad.
    That would be ideal, 32X price are insane, so if community lose interest maybe price will finally go down.
    I really miss the time when nobody cared about the add on and price were pretty low.

Perhaps not the community going away would be ideal, but maybe people not collecting as much? For me I would love to talk about 32X with others. I don't know anyone personally that is a fan. This is one of the very few sites I can talk about it with others, but sadly, it seems people aren't as interested.
    I am Mr_32X

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Virtua Hunter's Avatar

the problem is 32X community is made of collectors who were interested in the add-on just because it's easy to try to complete the collection, due to the low numbers of titles.
    Others were interested just because you could increase the video quality of the genesis.

Thread Information