Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genres rarely developed by softhouses

Default Genres rarely developed by softhouses

I got only 2 in my memory.
    2 GCN games:

Eternal Darkness - Nintendo developing a survival horror game and Auto Modellista - Racing game by Capcom.
    What genres are uncommon in particular for a softhouse?
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Don´t let Wii die!!!

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

From Software developed an Arena Fighting game with medieval mecha. You could customize it like Armored Core but the gameplay was similar to Virtual-ON. Frame Gride on Dreamcast.

I'm not sure they ever made a fighting game before or since. They have made many mecha games but something like Virtual On is unique for them on that one game as far as I know.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Square-Enix developed Driving Emotion Type-S for the PS2.

Yu Suzuki and AM2 developed Sword of Vermillion for the Genesis.

And of course, Yu Suzuki developed the Shenmue games.
    Last edited by gamevet; 06-16-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Darkhero's Avatar

Psykio developed a fighting game called Battle K-Road. They wanted to add some realistic karate elements which resulted in a weird system where there are no knockdowns. Not to mention that half the fighters are just head swaps. Later on they would publish The Fallen Angels, which is most notable for influencing the designs of K' and Maxima in the KoF series.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Deep Fear - SEGA Japan CS teams never really went near the Survival Horror Genre.

Samba De Amigo - Sonic Team only Arcade game.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Respawn Entertainment moving away from FPS into 3rd person single player action

Oni - Quite a difference game from BUNGiE

Switch - Madness from SEGA.

Outrigger - SEGA Japan only FPS 'I think'

Steep Slope Sliders - CAVE.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Way of the Warrior. A fighting game from Naughty Dog. Also, one of the worst games ever made.

Splatoon and ARMS are unusual for Nintendo. Online multiplayer shooter and ARMS being basically a watered down Virtual On. A 3D Arena fighting game.

Infinite Space. Turn-based RPG from Platinum.

The Adventures of Cookies & Cream. A Cutesy party game made by From Software.

Dirge of Cerberus. A third person shooter from Monolith Soft.

Cursed Mountain. Survival Horror from Deep Silver

Omega Boost. Sony made a Panzer Dragoon but with mecha and from Polyphony Digital who only makes Gran Turismo games and funny enough Omega Boost was their first game.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Probably the best NES games Squaresoft made were the 2 Rad Racer games .

Square...I think Enix at that point, also made an early beat 'em up for the PS2, with The Bouncer.

Capcom and Konami, coming from the arcade era rarely made stuff like Breath of Fire and Suikoden.

Light Crusader. An action-adventure by Treasure, with European looking art.

There's got to be tons of these...

I'm not sure anything Sega does surprises me. They've been among the most, if not flat out being the most, experimental developers.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

A whole subgenre that isn't seen very often is "20 minutes in the future". The best example of this would have to be Battlefield 2142. The axis of the Earth has shifted, and only a thin band of arable land is left. The major world powers, brought to near annihilation, form coalitions to control what's left, and leave the defeated to die in the frozen wasteland that is the rest of the world. The game takes place in a timespan from the early 2130s to the mid 2150s, IIRC, and military technological developments included limited energy shielding, gauss guns, bipedal weapons platforms (ED-209 on steroids), and the Pan-Asian Coalition has developed anti-gravity technology.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    Probably the best NES games Squaresoft made were the 2 Rad Racer games .

Square...I think Enix at that point, also made an early beat 'em up for the PS2, with The Bouncer.
    I forgot about Rad Racer. I guess that means the Driving Emotion Engine Type S wasn’t their 1st try at a racing game. Speaking of The Bouncer, Square also published Tobal and Tobal 2, which were developed by the same group as The Bouncer.

Capcom and Konami, coming from the arcade era rarely made stuff like Breath of Fire and Suikoden.

Light Crusader. An action-adventure by Treasure, with European looking art.

There's got to be tons of these...

Treasure did develop McDonald’s Treasureland Adventure and the totally weird Stretch Panic.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Way of the Warrior. A fighting game from Naughty Dog. Also, one of the worst games ever made.
    Slow down there big feller.

No. Stand by it. QWOP as a fighting game would be more enjoyable.
    Last edited by SegataS; 06-22-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    Slow down there big feller.
    Well said , Way of the Warrior is an awesome game , with an incredible soundtrack . Love it , it's only let down by the poor 3DO pad.

Anyway back on topic ...

ATLUS - Maken X .And with that game make one of the best and most unique FPS ever.

Visual Concepts - King Of DC sports games and make the really fun and quite different Floigan Bros

Sonic Team - NiGHTS . No other game looks like it, plays like it or sounds like it ..
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I would go with Burning Rangers from Sonic Team.

I should add

SNK - Samurai Spirits Bushido Retsuden A RPG by SNK

Sonic Team - Chu Chu Rocket - Puzzle game by

Border Break - FPS by NAMCO, one that was really good too

Team Ninja - Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The only Border Break I know if is the SEGA online Third Person Shooter I sometimes play on PS4.

Thread Information