Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regarding The Future of Megadrive Development

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    Doesn't look or sound "megadrivey" to me:

https://youtu.be/eDKu2SPGoac

EDIT: That's the trailer linked on the page product, but it shows the Nintendo logo. This other video is from the Mega Drive version that yes, looks and sounds slightly better than the NES version, but it's definitely not what comes to mind as a 16-bit game:

https://youtu.be/q6mlGUDMIuw
    I agree with you, it is a near clone of Kickle Cubicle. The original arcade game (Meikyu Jemu) looks better than the MD version and it's running on 8-bit hardware. For a $45 cart I'd expect more than that. In fact for only $15 more you can get a Retro-Cade which has the original Kickle Cubicle and like 90 other licensed games.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Cristiano Sword's Avatar

I think we make games for the love the console, at least I keep it that way. It's a great nostalgia making games for the mega drive my favorite console. I believe that making a game for an old console is the greatest honor a fan can give.
    Unfortunately it was popularized to make games for mega drive, so very simple or little polished games are the consequence.

I have to admit that my goal is not financial.Because Advergames and Web dev, give me more return financially.
    Last edited by Cristiano Sword; 06-17-2019 at 02:43 PM.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

The thing that bothers me about recent development is the navel-gazing. Developers will flat out ignore QC questions in Q&A streams, won't seek artists for cover/insert/internal artwork, and don't seem to like having people play-test in-progress versions of the project. We end up seeing a lot of launch-year-looking games with copy-paste level design and "I found this on DeviantArt and reduced the color depth in GIMP" imagery in cinema scenes. Like it's a sin to consult others for feedback, recommendations, or even just idea fishing. Nope, everybody else is wrong and dumb, and if they were so smart, why aren't they developing the next Sonic-3-&-Knuckles-killer game, huh?
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    For what's worth it, I don't see anybody making a racing game, if you want to know what major genre is currently being underserved by homebrew…
    I always wanted to work on a silky smooth 60fps Road Rash clone. But that'd either imply some fancy on-cart hardware or a gigantic ROM.
    And actual experience with homebrew.

Maybe it's something for someone to consider into the future.

I did have some kind of a plot concept that was a bit like Mad Max where you're a lone biker, meet a village striking it tough, and you perform some missions for them then I realized that maybe George Miller wouldn't appreciate a carbon copy of The Road Warrior.

Most all of it is cash grabs on the retro market. If you're just making a game where you'd want the most people to enjoy it then you wouldn't release it on 30 year old obsolete systems no longer in production, you'd release it as digital distribution.

That's the problem with developers and cash grabs, they only want to develop on retro systems because that's where the interest is and where the market is. Their mind is more on how, when, where the game is being marketed rather then actual game development. Just develop your game and release it when its done, don't need to announce it to the world and update us every 6 months, if you're needing a kickstarter off the bat just give up.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I would like to have financial help to produce Cadillacs and Dinosaurs for Mega, but I'll have to do it myself and spend my money because I'm not a programmer!

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    That's the problem with developers and cash grabs, they only want to develop on retro systems because that's where the interest is and where the market is. Their mind is more on how, when, where the game is being marketed rather then actual game development. Just develop your game and release it when its done, don't need to announce it to the world and update us every 6 months, if you're needing a kickstarter off the bat just give up.
    This problem isn't unique to homebrew though, or even game development, it plagues the entire entertainment industry. In just about every other industry, trying to advertise anything before it's already available for sale is asking to get slapped with a huge lawsuit over false advertising. We're like the only ones who seem OK with being advertised stuff way before it's available (and with no guarantee that it'll be ever available or that it'll end up in the same shape as was promoted, indeed).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    they only want to develop on retro systems because that's where the interest is and where the market is.
    Not really, this market is tiny. Developing for the Mega Drive is inconvenient. Most of the people who bother doing it are passionate about the console.
    You're obsessed with cash grabs, but can't seem to realize some of the games released back then on the console were cash grabs.

I think it's a good thing people announce their games early and long before release. With input from potential customers, the games can be improved. It is much harder to do in for example the movie industry, just look at the Sonic trailer debacle recently.

Asking money for the development early is another thing though... I think it's OK as long as you keep the customers updated throughout the development and in the end deliver.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I agree with you, it is a near clone of Kickle Cubicle. The original arcade game (Meikyu Jemu) looks better than the MD version and it's running on 8-bit hardware. For a $45 cart I'd expect more than that. In fact for only $15 more you can get a Retro-Cade which has the original Kickle Cubicle and like 90 other licensed games.
    To be fair, the arcade version has a 16-bit cpu and a graphics chip far better than the Genesis's. According to Mame sources it supports 512 colors at once, etc.
    https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=738
    http://gamebase.retrogames.com/irem.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I think it's a good thing people announce their games early and long before release. With input from potential customers, the games can be improved. It is much harder to do in for example the movie industry, just look at the Sonic trailer debacle recently.

Asking money for the development early is another thing though... I think it's OK as long as you keep the customers updated throughout the development and in the end deliver.
    While I know the movie was delayed due to backlash on Sonic's character design, we all know no matter what they do this movie is going to still suck. You can't polish a turd. It's when I say public opinion doesn't matter as much. If you were going to make a good game then public opinion won't change that. Just like changing Sonic's character design won't all of a sudden make this movie good. It's still going to be a pile of steaming shit. It basically is a cash grab on sonic fans in there 30s-40s now as well as a way to introduce it to a younger audience. Ten year olds that go to the theater to watch this will be like who the fuck is Sonic.
    Last edited by needler420; 06-18-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    To be fair, the arcade version has a 16-bit cpu and a graphics chip far better than the Genesis's. According to Mame sources it supports 512 colors at once, etc.
    https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=738
    http://gamebase.retrogames.com/irem.htm
    ^Those specs are completely off.
    Meikyu Jima's main CPU is a Z80 and another Z80 is used as sound CPU. So it's an 8-bit board, yes.
    Its palette has 256 colors with the in-game screens varying from 75 to ~100 unique colors.

But the whole point about the graphics is as simple as this:

8-bit Arcade 1988

NES 1988

MD 1995

MD 2018

SNES 1993

SNES 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    I always wanted to work on a silky smooth 60fps Road Rash clone. But that'd either imply some fancy on-cart hardware or a gigantic ROM.
    And actual experience with homebrew.
    Maybe it's something for someone to consider into the future.
    I would love to see something like this. 30 fps would already be great since most MD racing games run at 20 fps actually and the RR games well below that.
    Last edited by Barone; 06-18-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Hm. Maybe those sites had wrong info then, or maybe there were different editions. I'm not familiar with the arcades, just googled.

IMHO the penguin game looks worse than Medusa, Goof Troop better but it's also quite a different game. The arcade pic is about the same level to my eye. Differing tastes?

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Lion View Post
    What exactly would people expect from a 'short' game though? At which point does short become too short?
    The key is depth, not length.
    You can have very long games with extremely shallow (and boring) gameplay and short games with very deep gameplay.

I like games such as Sonic 1 where you can play it casually or going for all items/all emeralds or even for a fast run and have fun in different ways because its level design is good enough to support all that and the game rewards you in different ways depending on what you focus.

Other games such as Lords of Thunder on the PC Engine have different, more complex enemy patterns for the higher difficulty levels. This is something that I prefer over games which clip/hide content in the lower difficulty levels and I think it adds replay value.
    IIRC some bosses in MD's Contra randomly choose the AI patterns they'll use each time you play. That's an interesting trick too.

Games such as Rock n' Roll Racing never seen to get old, especially when playing co-op, 'cause the CPU cars' AI and how you interact with them always vary from one race to another.
    And it doesn't flat out cheat you as more advance games such as Mario Kart 64 does; it can be very tough to the point it becomes impossible to win without a fully powered-up car (especially if talking Russian hacks which allow to crank up the difficulty a lot more) but you usually can counter it with your own dirty tricks.
    The weapon system also works beautifully in terms of balancing out or changing the course of races which seem to have been already decided until Grinder explodes you right before the final line, lol.

Going back to your question, I think a game is "too short" when you can finish it in a matter of 1-2 hours and after that you have no desire to go back to it any time soon.

There's a lot of factors which seem to affect how much I want to play/replay a game, I'll cite a few:
    • I tend to always go back to games which have the ability to create some sort of unique and/or strong atmosphere; which to me depends a lot on the music.
    • I also like a lot when a game has presentation details properly covered such as font, menus, screen transitions, cutscenes, boss themes, etc.
      I think very few games if any do it as well as Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. SOR2 is another very good example IMO.
    • A sfx package which isn't annoying enough to distract you from the rest of the game and make you tired of playing it sooner than you'd expect is also important.
    • Overly frustrating learning curve/abrupt difficulty progression must be avoided.
    • Distinctive characters whose skills/attributes affect the gameplay adding more replay value.
    • The whole game being able to maintain a certain level of quality and artistic style. It sucks when one stage looks phenomenal and the next one looks like shit or when characters seem to have been drawn by different people (I'm looking at you, Paprium); quality AND consistency over quantity any day.
    Last edited by Barone; 06-18-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Hm. Maybe those sites had wrong info then, or maybe there were different editions. I'm not familiar with the arcades, just googled.

IMHO the penguin game looks worse than Medusa, Goof Troop better but it's also quite a different game. The arcade pic is about the same level to my eye. Differing tastes?
    This is the problem when you copy someone else's game, your product will always be compared to the original. If you have simple graphics at least you can come up with an original style of gameplay.

Thread Information