Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Decade At Sega-16

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Thumbs up A Decade At Sega-16

Wow, today marks my 10th year of membership on Sega-16! I originally joined to discuss ĎGenesis 3' compatibility restoration; but time, research & resources have since brought forth teardowns, cartridge info, troubleshooting & good questions (among other things). Thanks for the memories!

And on a more critical note:

Back in 2009, the active member list was more than double the current size & new users didnít need to beg for activation. Thatís no coincidence. There are more effective ways to weed out spam and pass through legitimate applicants during the registration process. Requiring an institutional email address is one potential solution. Anything is better than making new members feel like theyíre unwanted.

The Internet was a different place in 2009. This isn't the only forum that has slowed down, and it's not because of the registration process. Everyone's on social media and discord now. Also, the hack that almost nuked the site happened in 2011 through the forum, specifically because registration was so lax.

7 out of every 10 people requesting activation never post once. Two post once and never return, and 1 actually becomes a member of the community. Some register and don't even ask for activation until months or even years - yes, years - after doing so. All a new member who wants to join has to do is contact me and I will activate them. It's as simple as sending me a PM.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Yeah time flies. I've been here just over 5yrs now and love the place. I'm not on as much as I would like due to work but it's by far the best forum that I've been a member of. Really good bunch of guys here.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

"Old-timer" here.

I recall the 2011 hack that Melf has spoken about. I had a great Charlie Sheen "winning!" thread that got buried.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

The Winning campaign of '11 was something else.

I've been here too long.

I too remember the hack. I still miss the original design of the site, but I understand Melf for turning this into a more closed community. After all, there are plenty of closed Facebook groups. A lot of forums have become plagued with spam with lax moderation. Better off just approving those who

I think there will be a shift back to forums when Facebook inevitably implodes over government pressure and privacy issues, plus the fact that it is completely unsearchable. Looking for scant details on retro games still brings up places like Sega-16 and Digital Press. And this forum is far more active than many others I've seen. We've carved out a great niche here at Sega-16, even if it's not a perfect place.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Wow! I've been here longer than Baloo.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Dc

Obviously not been on this forum very long so can't comment directly. I have however been on forums since the mid-90s and spent 10 years on a SEGA forum for a specific franchise. Hopped along with many forums over the years. A lot has changed even in the last 10 let alone 20 something. One forum I was on in the early 2000s. Around 2003. There was a guy who could barely spell. He seemed really young and/or really dumb. At the time it was an oddity to us. Less than 5 years later the place got quite a few of them. Like the swarm was let in. My grammar has never been great either but this looked like someone was pounding the keys after a night on the bender.

Forums of all kinds have become much quieter. On one hand, it's fewer dopes to deal with but it would be nice to see more posters. That's maybe asking a bit much on forums like this. Retro games and consoles long since dead. A more finite amount of things to talk about. I don't want to be on a massive one with thousands upon thousands active daily but 100+ would be nice. I have not been here that long but long enough to where you kinda know how people feel about specific things so then comes the challenge of trying not to sound like a broken record with your opinions. We still do at times. Airing the same criticisms over and over gets esp annoying at times.

SEGA-16 is a nice place tho. I do wish insert coin was more active but whatever. Nicer to me to post in a place that is sometimes a bit quiet than the crazies at forums like neogaf and resetera. I will throw VG CHartz in that mix as well.
    Last edited by SegataS; 06-16-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I'm not as old a member as others here, but I joined in Dec 2012. I probably didn't really become active until 2013 though.

It seems like facebook, twitter, discord, youtube, reddit, etc, etc. Are pulling users away from forums of all type, not just retro game forums. However, it seems like most of the crazies, shitposters, trolls, and blogspammers went with them. I remember there used to be more active users here, but there is also less drama than there used to be. At least in my opinion.

SEGA-16 is still one of my favorite corners on the internet, especially the blast processing and tech aid sections.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Sega-16 has been educational, entertaining, and a bit eccentric. Hope it has many more years ahead of it.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    "Old-timer" here.

I recall the 2011 hack that Melf has spoken about. I had a great Charlie Sheen "winning!" thread that got buried.

Iíve been around about as long. I remember the hack and I remember all those pages in the Haul thread that were lost. Iím sure I bought some amazing shit in 2012, but you wouldnít know it because thereís a big old void there now.

I'm old enough to remember the pre-2005 forums. I was "Wanderer of Oasis" on them I think.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Oh wow, my decade passed ~2 years ago lol. Congratulations on yours ~
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

A little over a year and I'll be here for a decade as well. Time flies!

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

I'm almost everywhere, in some form or another (and in one identity or another), but don't often have anything to say. Least of all, when I'm in a bad mood, or irritated with people in a particular community. I should change my location to Brigadoon. I'll follow somebody for years, giving them encouragement and in some cases, being one of the four regular viewers of their streams, and then out of nowhere, they're shouting ORNJ MAN IS BAD GERMAN MAN or something far worse. I'd say that social networking sites have opened my eyes to people's true natures, though the ratio of bad reveals to good reveals is something like 17:3.

I refer people to Sega 16 as it's pretty much the only good (and active) classic gaming community around. Similarly, VOGONS is the only good classic PC (X86 and kin) community, but I think that all of the creative-type communities I used to bop around have become hives of backbiting, drama, perversion, and fear.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Thread Information