Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Decade At Sega-16

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Loving this thread, as it's brought a lot of my favorite old-timey members back out in one place. But this thread needs more sheath.
    S-16 4 life, bitches!

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Geez.. it’ll be 9 years for me before long. WTF. Where did the time go???

Sega orbi 4lyfe!

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    I'm not as old a member as others here, but I joined in Dec 2012. I probably didn't really become active until 2013 though.

It seems like facebook, twitter, discord, youtube, reddit, etc, etc. Are pulling users away from forums of all type, not just retro game forums. However, it seems like most of the crazies, shitposters, trolls, and blogspammers went with them. I remember there used to be more active users here, but there is also less drama than there used to be. At least in my opinion.

SEGA-16 is still one of my favorite corners on the internet, especially the blast processing and tech aid sections.
    After all of the years since someone explained to me Myspace, I still think all of those social media hive-minds are stupid.
    At first I was being nonconformist because I just didn't care, but today, I mean did no one else watch Terminator 2?

Anyways, Sega-16 has been my only online-community facet. With the exception of perhaps some old Adult Swim account, I don't exist online.

I decided when I joined this forum that I'd stay for the ride until the day Melf ever pulled the plug (and hopefully not sell-out to some hipster think-tank trying to catalogue personal information and monetize this hobby - but whatever ), I'd go back to living in my personal 90's and play my games in peace.

So Viva Sega-16 and hopefully a scenario like Escape from L.A. isn't in the near future either, that'd equally ruined my gaming-plans come retirement:

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    I'm old enough to remember the pre-2005 forums. I was "Wanderer of Oasis" on them I think.
    Yeah! I think there were only like, 10 of us back then.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

While I have my disagreements with the owner and some of the members LOL. This place is nothing short, of a fantastic forum, where various discussions can be allowed to take place,ulike the horrid RestEra.
    This place is also a good soruce of various tech details and various SEGA features, that you don't see in most other forums. This place has taken over from Dreamcast Technical pages IMO; That was also a wonderful site with great SEGA die Hard members, much like the sadly no more gamersrepublic.net.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I've been here for quite a while as well. It feels like it's a smaller more hardcore fan base here these days, which is kind of unfortunate with the renaissance the Mega Drive is having recently. What's so special about Facebook anyway...
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Facebook is just trash. A couple of months ago I deleted it. I didn't save anything, just boom gone and not regretted it. The site was so unbearable to use I didn't care. Most of those I can contact on Twitter anyway.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Facebook is just trash. A couple of months ago I deleted it. I didn't save anything, just boom gone and not regretted it. The site was so unbearable to use I didn't care. Most of those I can contact on Twitter anyway.
    I deleted mine in 2011. It was pretty fun for a while, but turned in to trash pretty quickly as more people piled on, and facebook itself also changed. I'm glad I don't use it any more, I can't imagine the shit show it's turned in to by now.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    We ate at a pizza joint one time, and I swear that our server used my card to charge $400 to some Facebook games. I immediately called my bank and told them that I don't even have a Facebook account. I should have went back to the pizza joint and chewed the asshole out, but I let it be.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Also, the hack that almost nuked the site happened in 2011 through the forum, specifically because registration was so lax.
    I recall they exploited an HTML file from a third-party website (ebay) that was stored in an article on the main site. Always use screenshots, instead.

7 out of every 10 people requesting activation never post once. Two post once and never return, and 1 actually becomes a member of the community.
    But, how many people register without ever requesting activation?

Some register and don't even ask for activation until months or even years - yes, years - after doing so. All a new member who wants to join has to do is contact me and I will activate them. It's as simple as sending me a PM.
    If you don't prompt them during the registration process, how are they supposed to know that they need to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    Oh wow, my decade passed ~2 years ago lol. Congratulations on yours ~
    **Tips hat**

I like how many classic game sites have legacy designs and still use forums, which are now "retro" themselves.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I don't tend to have much of a social presence online, but if I do, it's going to be through Sega-16 or Shmups forum. Both forums are populated by some great personalities, and the aggregate of information they've helped to build over the years is invaluable to the hobby. There's something about the flow of these two sites, the generally informed posting style and the level of focus is just right to meet my needs as far as gaming related talk goes.

I joined Sega-16 back in 2012 upon starting up 16-bit/2D gaming again in earnest, and jumping down the rabbit hole that comes with getting thirty year-old console equipment functioning at it's best in modern times. So safe to say I've learnt a lot of valuable information about not only that, but also knowledge that deepens my understanding of what is going on under the hood with these old machines - the best I could do before was glean (often dubious) information from magazines.

And of course the games themselves. I've learned stuff I would never have alone about the intricacies of the MD/CD library, and owe it to both sites for helping make me a better gamer and get the most out of my hobby overall. Love that shit!

Master of Shinobi Hidden_Darkness's Avatar

Sega-16 is pretty awesome, I knew about the site back around 2004 but didn't register on the forum until 2006. It's crazy that it's been 13 years now since I joined.

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

Similarly, I didn't have the desire to register absolutely everywhere way back in the day. The concept of community tenure didn't enter my mind. Though it is funny to respond to PMs or thread responses in minutes, when I haven't been to the site they're on, in a decade. People must feel like they're summoning an eldritch horror from another reality.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Quote Originally Posted by chessage View Post
    I recall they exploited an HTML file from a third-party website (ebay) that was stored in an article on the main site. Always use screenshots, instead.
    That was the first time. It happened a few days later on the forum. We tightened up registration on the forum and redesigned the website because of it.

But, how many people register without ever requesting activation?
    If they don't request registration, I can't help them. If they really want to join the forum, they'd do something as simple as send me a PM.

If you don't prompt them during the registration process, how are they supposed to know that they need to do this?
    They are prompted. The forum FAQ explains it quite clearly under "Confirming Forum Registration:"

Once you register, you must be approved by an administrator before you can start posting. In most cases, you should be approved quickly. If you have not been approved after 48 hours, please contact an administrator so that he may approve your registration manually. This is an anti-spam feature and helps keep the forum clean and secure, so contact your administrator quickly to get approved!

Thread Information