Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you prefer cartridges or ROM downloads?

Genesis Do you prefer cartridges or ROM downloads?

Twitter poll here: https://twitter.com/plutiedev/status...17024812048385

But yeah, basically the question is: if you wanted to purchase a new homebrew game and there's the option to get a cartridge or a ROM download (both paid), which one would you pick? And what circumstances can bias your choice? (e.g. price, etc.)

Not including releases on modern platforms for this discussion since those are ports and under wildly different market conditions.

This forum needs a cartridge icon for topics.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I can't afford to buy physical copies of the many great Intellivision homebrew games that keep coming out, but I do buy every rom release as they become available.

If a homebrew game isn't domething I really want to play, then I won't buy a physical version. Even if I don't think I'd love certain homebrews, I'll still buy an appropriately priced rom to support development.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Give me the that plastic.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Stifu's Avatar

ROM downloads. I don't care about the price, I just don't want to be burdened with more crap at my house.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

The ROM download under a condition it is compatible with popular emulators.
    Reasons - convenience of running it on PC/Android hardware and mobility; decluttering a room/house from items which are not used so often (even if it is cool to have them); not worrying about that a retro hardware (crt monitor, etc.) can fail at some point

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

I'm not a collector, so I don't buy absolutely everything that gets released on cartridge. If it's a quality release by my standards and also the kind of game I like (Tanglewood, Tänzer, Xeno Crisis...) I'd buy it physical. Otherwise, ROM download would be enough. I'm done with nice and simple homebrews, we've hit another era in Mega Drive development.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    But yeah, basically the question is: if you wanted to purchase a new homebrew game and there's the option to get a cartridge or a ROM download (both paid), which one would you pick? And what circumstances can bias your choice? (e.g. price, etc.)
    ROM download. Why?
    • Shipping charges are prohibitive for countries like Brazil. And the rather iffy customs service will more often than not delay the delivery by several weeks while sometimes adding prohibitive taxes over the total amount.
    • I really just want to play everything using my Everdrive. I have all the games I want there, organized as I want and ready to play in a matter of seconds.
    • In the long run, storage space is also an issue with boxes and etc.

ROM all the way.

I don't have an issue if the full CIB option is offered on a limited basis.

This thread sure as hell disagrees with the poll results (・~・) The poll is leaning mainly towards cartridges (though ROM download is 2nd place), while this thread may as well suggest we should kill cartridges altogether (going by how much more support ROM downloads are getting).

Maybe we need an on-line store…

Nameless One

Can't I just have both? Cart for the over the top homebrew games, just rom for the others.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Stifu's Avatar

This thread sure as hell disagrees with the poll results (・~・)
    I'm not surprised. Carts are kinda the "default" choice for a niche that primarily attracts nostalgic players and collectors. So it makes sense to me that people with a "diverging" opinion are more likely to bother commenting.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

I just prefer carts to ROMs in certain conditions, but in this day and age, ROMs should be the default publishing method, even if it's with an embedded emulator like Tanglewood did so you can sell your game on Steam and other platforms.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

This thread sure as hell disagrees with the poll results (・~・) The poll is leaning mainly towards cartridges (though ROM download is 2nd place), while this thread may as well suggest we should kill cartridges altogether (going by how much more support ROM downloads are getting).

Maybe we need an on-line store…
    The poll wouldn't let me vote unless I opened a twitter account. It's bound to favor people who identify more as collectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I otherwise no longer see sense in publishing a Sega game just in rom.
    If the person does not have everdrive how will he play in a real Megadrive?
    If it is to make games to play only in emulators, then it is better not to waste time and to work in unity.

Road Rasher

Cartridge each and every time. The only thing I can play ROMs on is an iMac that’s about ten years old. Would I rather be hunched over that playing a MegaDrive game on keyboard or would I rather be laid back in my comfortable chair, staring at my glorious CRT with pad in hand?

Thread Information