Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you prefer cartridges or ROM downloads?

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The poll wouldn't let me vote unless I opened a twitter account. It's bound to favor people who identify more as collectors.
    Honestly I was under the impression that most collectors would not have a Twitter account, if anything (but honestly I'm not sure there's anything hinting that Twitter is more likely to attract collectors YouTube seems a more likely candidate with all the unboxing videos around).

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

I would only consider ROM release if there will not be a physical release and I really like the game. I would need to try a demo or see other material that will show enough about the game for me to make a decision on that regard. I will not by a thing without knowing anything about it. Another thing is that I don't really play much anymore and when I do it is primarly because of music, if I am not gonna like music I will have very hard time getting into the rest aswell. 50% of the game is music for me and as time goes on it seems that the number will increase...
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Outrunner

Either one works for me but a ROM is going to be easier for most developers... I think we would see more games if everyone bought ROMs... just my 2 cents

Death Adder's minion

Speaking for myself, I prefer roms, I own several original carts but I typically play the games off of my Everdrive.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Cristiano Sword's Avatar

cartridge and rom, I think we have to give several options, rom for those who just want to play and support the scene of new games for mega drive until the complete game with box, manual and various gifts

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

I prefer cartridges, but with my finances becoming couch cushion change, and the issues with the engineering of many recent popular independently developed console games, a ROM may be both more economical, and safer for the game system playing it. To be honest, while I understand the need for higher prices on complete game cart releases with professional labels and inserts, even when I was doing well, $60 for a game I'd play for an hour at best was a hard sell. Then again, I don't enjoy ice cream anymore, so it may be a whole different story for other people.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Death Adder's minion

I would prefer full CIB-releases. I collect games and not ROMs. That's my opinion.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training SBlaise84's Avatar

Personally I would never spend $60 for a cartridge so the only way a developer would ever get my $ is to sell a rom for cheap. If there was a game I liked the look of that could be purchased as a rom for $5 or so I would get it. ( Not trying to hurt feelings or be rude, but for anything more than that I can buy some pretty excellent indie games on steam, psn, or Google play. And in my opinion they will blow most, not all, but most, of these "homebrew" retro games out of the water )

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Carts!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Scrobins09's Avatar

I don't mind playing a rom as a sneakpeek of a game in progress, but for a complete game, I am a diehard cart collector.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Ice Man's Avatar

I prefer original carts but with how the prices are going lately it's quite both somehow.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I am also for carts, and for me it means possibly only CIB

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I think that a flashcart based solution going forward is the most realistic solution. I would love a weird midpoint, like a rom package that still had some physical material, that was nearly the same size as a Genesis case, but thinner, that came with instructions, random stuff, and a download card for the rom file.
    Last edited by SEGA-Jorge; 06-19-2019 at 05:02 PM.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

I prefer carts for the actual "big" games like Xeno Crisis and Tanglewood, don't really care about the small puzzle games I guess.. so roms would be fine for those.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Zygrunt's Avatar

I prefer carts, but getting them shipped to Brazil right now is very expensive (and any buy made in international money is very expensive for me anyway because of the current exchange rates), so rom downloads became a must for me. I loved being able to get Tanglewood despite not buying the cart (ok, it was a steam purchase, but it came with the rom as an extra).

Right now it doesn't matter how much I love carts because I'm not buying them anyway.

Thread Information