Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you prefer cartridges or ROM downloads?

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I was considering the multiple publisher approach with Arkagis Revolution, being able to cover more regions should make it easier for people to acquire cartridges by reducing shipping and custom fees (as well as payment processor issues and any other legal hurdles). I won't make any promises as to what regions could get covered (or when), but it's an experiment that's worth trying and that I'd encourage other people to look into as well.

One big problem is that for some of those regions we don't have enough data, precisely because of those barriers (and possibly language barriers as well). I just had this become a problem when somebody asked me how much I'd expect to sell in their region. I hope this can be overcome eventually.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I really think that a digital "License Package" would work well enough to get enthusiasts to pay for the physical materials that come with a licence to download the rom file. The serious collectors will be happy to have an instruction booklet, goodies, licence card, and a case to hold all their stuff. It's cheaper to manufacture, you please collectors, and still have something to combat piracy, in the form of fun goodies.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Elektronite has tried different combinations of graduating media for their Intellivision releases. Right now their recent Kai Magazine productions are being sold rom-only for $20 and if enough sell, then CIB versions will be made and those who bought the rom will get a discount. It helps that the LTO flashcart allows rom to be encrypted to only work on a specific cart.

Before that they were selling a cart and/or rom of a game and if a minimum number sold, then box/manual/overlays would be made and there would also be a discount for rom/cart purchasers.

I believe that for D2K Arcade you cold buy just the circuit board and an unfolded box, or variations of materials. It saved many people a lot in shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

From what I get of homebrewers here in Spain, their fear of giving away the ROM is that two days later there are unofficial carts sold on Etsy or Aliexpress (heres an example: https://www.etsy.com/es/listing/6640...search_click=1). You know what that means: someone is making money from something you've made, without any recognition, and potentially hurting any official sale of carts. So what do you do: hardware protection like Watermelon? But that means that the only way to get the game is buying the cart, and that bring us again to this theme: maybe you have some interest to play that well intentioned little puzzle game, but not to the extent of paying 40-60$ for a cart. So maybe the way is that of Tanglewood or Xeno Crisis: you give away the ROM to whoever buys the physical game, so the ROM is floating around, but you also have an stocked store 24/7 just in case someone wants to buy your game. If it's a good game, and the physical edition has quality materials, collectors and serious players will buy that.

Outrunner

I would like to see some kind of DRM implemented on the flash carts, that way someone could sell a digital download playable on real hardware but it can't easily be copied onto a cart. I have no idea if this is actually possible but maybe if your game has a way to check for the presence of the FPGA, it can send it a key and get the right response, something like that? Eventually any protection will get cracked and patched but it might be better than just sending an unencrypted ROM.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

no matter what, a major problem for devs will always exist in the form of pirating. My suggestion would always be to simply decrease costs to a bare minimum, as far as production goes. it really should just be physical goodies in a makeshift case. The case could be a replica red cardboard case, and all the assets are mailed disassembled, DIY style. The point is to encourage some form of dev compensation, both through the download and the assets, and maybe have goodies in addition to that. Number the physical copies, and then have a Pay What You Want option on the site. Encourage the people that get the rom, which they will eventually get, to pay something, even if it's very little. Otherwise, you really end up with that weird WM problem, a game no one can play, because the physical copies were in such low production, and high demand.

Axel:
    I think that's a great idea, but that would mean a new way to use flashcarts. I'd be fine with just a physical anything, that proves ownership. I mean, we own all these carts, but I've swapped eproms to donor boards, etc. and play games I own on flash carts occasionally. But owning the real thing is kinda moot. I can just flash an eprom of any game I have and toss it on a cart. The game itself can be simply remade without much effort/investment. Since this is just going to happen, just have a physical purchase that has a serial number/ certificate of authenticity on it.

How long before somebody suggests coprocessors with a program that can't be read out? :​P

Also isn't a large problem with Spain that their retro market is, huh, tiny? It seemed that in the end it boils down to a few bunch of people constantly buying games from each other (I definitely recall a discussion about this being brought up on Twitter), on top of being a pain in the ass to sell any of those games elsewhere (both due to export mess as usual and due to a not insignificant bunch of those games being in Spanish). That's not speaking great of the situation there for starters…

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I really think that a digital "License Package" would work well enough to get enthusiasts to pay for the physical materials that come with a licence to download the rom file. The serious collectors will be happy to have an instruction booklet, goodies, licence card, and a case to hold all their stuff. It's cheaper to manufacture, you please collectors, and still have something to combat piracy, in the form of fun goodies.
    Hell no, I was already yelling earlier today about PC "physical" releases that are just a glorified Steam key in a box, don't bring that to homebrew too >:​( If you're gonna force people to download the game then keep it a download thing, don't pretend it's physical.

EDIT: also it hits me that whoever decides to buy one of those repros is either looking to cheap out (and so would have never given you money anyway) and/or is looking to make yet another unboxing video for cheap (because apparently unboxing videos are all the rage). Somebody I know ended up in a fight with a guy making unboxing videos on Instagram who kept saying that homebrew cartridges are overpriced and he preferred to buy repros in response (I guess you never care when all you want is more youtube views without ever actually playing the game and finding out the cartridge is actually crap).
    Last edited by Sik; 06-20-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Nearly all the games I've played recently have been downloaded. I bought Tanglewood as a rom and I backed Xenocrisis for the rom. Most of my carts aren't at my home and I find carts to be inconvenient anyway.

Pirates gonna pirate. If someone pirates a game then they had no intention of buying it anyway.
    I had my ring penetrated on Takeshi's Castle.

Thread Information