Quantcast

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert tokay's Avatar

Thank you! :-)

(edit: glad I soon have an appointment to get an eyecheck then :-p)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

Is the shipping thing sorted out? I'm about to buy mine, but all those delays + cutom fees drama is making me thinking twice. 250 + around 70 of customs is a LOT of money.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nihilblack View Post
    Is the shipping thing sorted out? I'm about to buy mine, but all those delays + cutom fees drama is making me thinking twice. 250 + around 70 of customs is a LOT of money.
    I don't think TerraOnion thinks there is anything to sort out, according to them it's standard practice and nothing unusual.
    I'm withholding too my purchase until the custom fees issue is solved. If it doesn't..well, I can live without it but that's a shame.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

It's specially crazy in my case, since I live in Barcelona, which is at something like 250 Km from Andorra. I mean, it's crazy to pay 18 to DHL for that short trip (which apparently takes them ages to do), but adding 70 is a robbery.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

It's specially crazy in my case, since I live in Barcelona, which is at something like 250 Km from Andorra. I mean, it's crazy to pay 18 to DHL for that short trip (which apparently takes them ages to do), but adding 70 is a robbery.
    Would this be any different (aside from the physical distance) if you were ordering from another non-EU country like the US or Japan?

In this case, as I understand it, if TerraOnion were located in the EU, you would still be paying VAT, but it would just be included in the cost of the Mega SD.

My point is: You can't blame TO for the EU's tax/customs laws. Of course, it's another story for those who ordered without knowing TO had relocated...

One thing is VAT, which you always pay and is included on the price (and that is valid for Terraonion, for Amazon, or for anything), and another thing are the custom fees. Since Andorra is not part of the EU you have to pay those custom fees, and you don't pay that if you buy anything from within the EU. I've even bought things in Play Asia and haven't paid custom fees because they ship it to you from the Nederlands, which is part of the EU. In Terraonion's case, they ship from outside the EU, so you pay: DHL service (which is really bad: they don't even have an office at Andorra), custom fees, and some stupid additional fee that DHL makes you pay because they have to handle the customs situation, as if 18 for the shipping wasn't enough. I really want this, but I'm not willing to pay that extra cash just because they wanted to avoid paying taxes.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

One thing is VAT, which you always pay and is included on the price (and that is valid for Terraonion, for Amazon, or for anything), and another thing are the custom fees. Since Andorra is not part of the EU you have to pay those custom fees, and you don't pay that if you buy anything from within the EU. I've even bought things in Play Asia and haven't paid custom fees because they ship it to you from the Nederlands, which is part of the EU. In Terraonion's case, they ship from outside the EU, so you pay: DHL service (which is really bad: they don't even have an office at Andorra), custom fees, and some stupid additional fee that DHL makes you pay because they have to handle the customs situation, as if 18 for the shipping wasn't enough. I really want this, but I'm not willing to pay that extra cash just because they wanted to avoid paying taxes.
    When you import something into a EU member country from a non-EU country, you pay both customs duty and VAT. In Germany IIRC, the general duty is 4.2% and the import VAT is 19%. Sometimes you pay VAT with the original purchase, sometimes at customs. If you import something from a EU member country, you don't pay the customs duty. You still pay VAT, either with the purchase or at customs.

TO is not paying VAT on shipments into the EU, so you will be charged VAT at customs. That's why people are paying so much to get their Mega SDs from customs.

But the point still stands: You're going to have to pay VAT one way or the other.

(I realize people are pissed off because TO didn't communicate that VAT wasn't included in the price... )

Blame the horrid EU and its tax harmonisation. Saying that even with the import duty, this product is more than worth it.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Training-in-Hedgehog Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert tokay's Avatar

I can confirm someone had to pay taxes when he received his parcel this week. Parcel went through 4 different countries when it was to be delivered in France (which FYI has border with Andorra).

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    When you import something into a EU member country from a non-EU country, you pay both customs duty and VAT. In Germany IIRC, the general duty is 4.2% and the import VAT is 19%. Sometimes you pay VAT with the original purchase, sometimes at customs. If you import something from a EU member country, you don't pay the customs duty. You still pay VAT, either with the purchase or at customs.

TO is not paying VAT on shipments into the EU, so you will be charged VAT at customs. That's why people are paying so much to get their Mega SDs from customs.

But the point still stands: You're going to have to pay VAT one way or the other.

(I realize people are pissed off because TO didn't communicate that VAT wasn't included in the price... )
    Yeah, I was talking about EU/EU transactions (you pay the VAT from the seller's country, which is not added later since is part of the price from minute 1, and never pay customs), with an example of how to do things right for the customer (Play Asia sending the items from the Netherlands). They're literally at 15 minutes from two EU countries! (France and Spain).

In Spain there's a very low limit for the Non-EU/EU imports: if an item's value is over 22 (or 45 if it's a gift), you have to pay VAT, which is 21% in Spain. You also have to pay custom fees if the item value is over 150, which of course is the case of the MegaSD.

I don't have any doubt that the MegaSD is a great product, but this Andorra situation is a disgrace. They shipped from my own country before that!

Quote Originally Posted by tokay View Post
    I can confirm someone had to pay taxes when he received his parcel this week. Parcel went through 4 different countries when it was to be delivered in France (which FYI has border with Andorra).
    That's beyond crazy

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Why can't they mark the parcel as a gift with a low value?
    Women Asian Please
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyscowboys View Post
    Why can't they mark the parcel as a gift with a low value?
    They'd be committing insurance fraud and become accomplices to tax evasion.

They're a real business, not just an indiviudual doing a single online sale a few times a year.

Same reason they can't accept paypal.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    They'd be committing insurance fraud and become accomplices to tax evasion.

They're a real business, not just an indiviudual doing a single online sale a few times a year.

Same reason they can't accept paypal.

Exactly. Having worked for a company that got caught faking invoices to evade tax, I can tell you that its not something you want to be caught doing. If anyone has an issue with the tax you may be charged, you have an issue with the government and tax offices in your respective countries. You shouldn't take the issue up with Terraonion.

OPN2 in DNA Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Peeteris's Avatar

So, there's no way to get Mega SD. Sad.
    I'm not ready to pay another >70.

You could still be wondering what's the deal with needing to do all that mess to deliver a package (as mentioned earlier, the case where it hopped through four countries even though the destination was a neighbouring one).

Thread Information